Are competition T&Cs legally binding?

I was extremely lucky to win a car last week. I'm young and I want to make a sensible financial decision as I don't have a mortgage or any savings to speak of. I feel like the best way to this would be to sell the car when I get it (please don't bombard me with stuff about ethics) but the competition T&Cs say that I have agreed to be the legal owner of the car for at least one year.

So my question is, are T&Cs legally binding? If so, how can they enforce this? Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I personally wouldn’t risk it. If they are giving away a car, it’s nothing for them to get a solicitor involved if they feel you haven’t acted correctly following winning the prize. Nobody can tell you 100% if it’s legally binding because nobody knows what the courts might take on, if they want to take it further I’m sure they can and will find a way.
  • kimzeey
    kimzeey Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    If it's in the terms and conditions then it is something they can charge you and take you to court for if you sell it.
    :o Little Things Make A Big Difference :p Comping Is My little Thing That Makes A Big Difference On My Wellbeing
  • Tuppence11
    Tuppence11 Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Still unsure? You could always seek information at the Citizens Advice Bureau - usually very popular, so this might take a while to speak to someone.
  • browna
    browna Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I won, I won, I won!
    what car was it? if its expensive to insure/run you could store it for a year to retain its value. I wouldn't want to risk selling it incase they decided to take action (unlikely granted), keep it a year or two and you'll still get a tidy sum for it. :)
    You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes, well, you just might find.. you get what you need.
  • Sekar
    Sekar Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    If they can afford to take legal action and you can't then it's effectively binding by default. The question then becomes can you sell it without them realising? If they're in the motor trade then I imagine they have the tools to trace ownership and could do so at any point.

It seems like needless risk to me.

Have you looked at what the drop in value would be in a years time?
  • Spudtm
    Spudtm Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As browna suggests keep it and store it. Best to lose value than lose it completely.
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Not worth it, if it was a £12k car and you managed to sell it for £10k ... they find out, take you to court you'd be liable for the value of the car, which was £12k ... so technically you'd be out of pocket £2k.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 October 2019 at 4:29PM
    Don't forget they could come after you for the value of the car which will certainly be more than you could sell it for, so you would potentially not only lose the prize but end up owing them as well (without counting legal costs).

Move to chat requested

(Usually you will have agreed to the T&Cs as part of the entry process)
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Another option is to ask the comp host and see if they will give you permission. Perhaps leave it a month or two and then contact them with an 'i'm broke and I can't afford to run a car' sob story. They might agree for you to sell it on.

Blu XXX
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • DJASKEW
    DJASKEW Posts: 22 Forumite
    Being such a big prize you can expect some follow up from the promoter
    If they’re paying the tax on it or something similar they may find out if it changes ownership.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure