3rd Time Lucky?!- Attempting to clear £6645.93 of debt in 105days (3months+13days)!!

1161718192022»

Comments

• Shelbi
    Shelbi Posts: 744 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Aww Thank you Enthusiastic Saver & PositiveBalance:wave::wave::wave::wave

Enthusiastic saver- Id like to think it will be a bit easier, now we are roughly on the same page...and looking to the fuure :)

Positive Balance will be sending virtual cake and fizz your way for sure..if you're not by London I shall Skype you in!! Im a dab hand at that now:rotfl: Fizz all round:beer:

I never thought i'd see the day (and that's the truth) I had about 2 days of excited wedding fever then came promptly back down to earth when I realised the costs and that this is dangerous territory of someone with my track record:rotfl: Aiming for September 2019..my first virtual save the date:j:beer::beer::beer::beer: so sky is going to be one of many cuts wel be making (if I can get away with it)..Decided on wedding first in case he changes his mind:rotfl: PositiveBalance weve got 30 days for sky to actually cut off- ill check for signs of life after that! On thin ice as I subbed his Shredded wheat for generic- the side glances I got for it :o(Honestly I had them this morning and genuinely couldn't tell the difference- ok they were smaller but thats about it) Hell get used to it bless him.

Wedding first then house saving, I think ill try and save 2/3 spare funds to wedding and 1/3 to house deposit as I don't want the house to be sidelined completely and I don't want to over spend on a wedding. Will try to keep it reasonable...I keep telling myself it'll be just one day its the marriage that counts...would love a good old fashioned Eastend kneesup though :beer: :) I'll be popping over later virtual cup of rosy in hand to see what ive missed whilst ive been MIA lovely.

Update for today: I managed a NSD and to bring a pack lunch- left overs of thai green curry. managed a 1.5lb loss on slimming world and had a genuinely cool day! Downloaded new money podcasts to keep me determined and did a electricity comparison whilst the internet at work was down. Thank you 4G;) Managed to find a pair of gloves and my old winter coat whilst looking for something else. Really need to declutter- but happy as it will do me for this winter *winning*

Looking at pintrest and listening to podcasts is my new thing at the moment, love listening to how people achieve their goals...and cool new things to try...My current fave is life hacks and tiny homes (adequate as we are in a one bedroom flat with limited storage) oh minimalism is quite good too! sorry I digress...

Currently reading start late finish rich highly recommend it! I feel like I have all these goals and im far away from them all...so baby steps...3 goals: 1) Packed Lunch>>work. 2)Bank another NSD 3)make £10...anything else will be a bonus...

Goodnight Diaryland:)

Sx
    A
    DFD-01.03.2018:starmod: :beer::T
    Maternity Savings- £2000/£10,000
    Emergency Fund- £1,000/£5,000
    House Deposit- £0/£25,000.
    NSD November 2/30
    Make £5 per day- £128.48/£155
  • Shelbi
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Evening All,

Manage to bank another NSD today, Lunch was a homemade sandwich... Received £10.74 interest which is fab- hit my £10 goal also managed to declutter 4 draws and 2 bags- finding a few things to wack on eb3y& shp8k. Will do that tomorrow though as today was about organising my stuff. Lunch has been made for tomorrow for myself and OH. Feeling pretty productive this evening- not bad for an additional hours work.

My mum has asked to buy my coffee machine which I got OH last xmas that's sat unopened, to gift to her friend...OH friend has offered to by my bike that's been sat gathering dust and ridden just once:o so potential extra earnings there...fingers crossed. Have put together a bag of gifts, cards, wrappings all left over from last Christmas in the storage cupboard, trying to work out how many of the presents I will need to buy. My list tells me I've got quite a few to get (21):eek: but at least I know know who ive got left and can look out for some cheap bargains. Bagged 2 free tickets to the national wedding show using a discount code "ETICKET" if any one wants to try it. Will take my mum its her birthday so that will give us something to do on the Sunday and i'll make her a nice lunch too:beer:.

Nothing else to report, work was quiet, boring and uneventful...suspect tomorrow will be better:D:D right off to give myself a facial and try whitening my teeth with some bicarb of soda :o.

Over and out...
    Sx
    NSD November 2/30
  • Keep going, Shelbi- it's all taking shape! :)

P.S. You been listening to Dave at all? I'm obsessed with his his app! :rotfl:
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • PositiveBalance
    PositiveBalance Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Shelbi! :wave:

I saw you post on Dr Spendlittle's thread today.

It's good to have you back in any capacity. Fancy an update of your own thread to keep us up-to-date with your wedding savings? :D

If you don't fancy that, feel free to pop over to my thread for tea/coffee and cake, or something more alcoholic if you are feeling fancy! :)
  • Shelbi
    Debt-free and Proud!
    **Slides back into my thread and scurries back onto the MSE Bandwagon!! **

Hi Positivebalance and all:hello:

I cant believe its been over a year since I updated my diary:eek:
    Time has flown by, I part think its a subconscious decision to stop my self being completely accountable... But im back, offically married and ready to bare all.

It was a fab day and I hit my £10,000 saving target and borrowed some from my emergency fund to cover the rest without going into debt or bashing Mr Credit card....In total we spent about £14,000:eek: I know as I write this it seems obscene but If I could do it again I wouldn't change it, it was a great day:) everyone seemed to have fun and was adequately fed and watered...ok you got me, I definitely wouldn't mind that money back in my account but I still wouldn't have changed the day!:D argh and maybe take the no shows off the list cause (that was a stupid waste of money):rotfl:

To add to the many joys and blessings life has given us we found out a couple of weeks before the wedding that we are expecting our first child...slightly unexpected, very scary but also very lucky. So this is what brings me back to diary land. I need the accountabilty and in truth there's nothing that helps me save money than this debtfree community.
    I'm 13 weeks at the moment so it's early days... I have 6months to rebuild my emergency fund and a maternity fund to cover the fall in earings.
    These are my goals and are the figures that I feel comfortable with. Anything that we don't spend will be rolled over into a house deposit.

I've already managed to save £1,700 from last months paycheck and ebay sales (wedding dresses and other wedding stuff)
    I plan to make the maternity fund (£10k) goal my priority, having printed off 10x100% grids with each square representing £10 nd each grid representing £1000...it's literally [STRIKE]death[/STRIKE] save by a thousand[STRIKE] cuts[/STRIKE] colours. I also plan for us to live quite frugally through the maternity leave so that should hopefully add to the savings...so that's the plan, if all goes well! I just need to execute it as best I can.:o

I'll also be taking up NSD, having less & cheaper nights out (can't drink now anyway:(), selling what I can and using as many tricks and cheats that I can source on fellow dfw's diaries:D....

So that's a quick catch up on my so called life;)
    I'll be back later with my November budget plan abit later...Have a lovely evening diary land

Sx
    NSD November 2/30
  • SHELBI! :D

I was wondering what happened to you! I'm *SO* glad you are back!

Congratulations on getting married and SQUEEEE to your baby! :D

I'm totally offended that I didn't get send a slice of virtual wedding cake, though...I hope you kept the top tier for the baby's christening and are going to offer me a slice on that day. *Piercing look*

To be fair, £14,000 is very reasonable for a wedding in London so congratulations on having a day you loved on a reasonable budget. (I used to serve wedding when I was a student and I could tell you stories to make your hair curl!)

I look forward to your updates and please come and see me on my diary as there's only tumbleweed to keep me company over there. :(
  • Shelbi
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thank you Positivebalance, its good to be back!:beer: :D:D I have some cake stashed in the chest freezer don't you worry! It's still good:D ...

It's been a couple of weeks since my last update, I've been paid and managed to update my YNAB budget and have paid £300 to my maternity savings. I've allocated £200 monthly shopping budget for food & household (OH will probably add to this if he wants anything outside of what I've brought. £50pw isn't too bad for the 2 of us- I don't think. Today I've meal planned based on what Ive purchased. Dependant on my batch cooking Monday/Tuesday evening.

Plans for this week- Post dress I sold on ebay to buyer, Batch cook a lasange and shepherds pie and pasta bake (for lunches).
    I confess Ive spent £100 on maternity clothing bundles, which includes different outfits, jeans and a winter coat... which I think was a bargain...nothing is fitting very comfy at the minute. Better to have clothes baggy than not doing up.;)

I've also been looking at cotbeds and moses baskets on ebay obviously can't buy anything now but I'm enjoying budgeting for it
    Other than that my only other spends this month has been the rent £619, Council Tax £150 both of which hubby will reimburse me half, £300 to maternity savings, Food shop £100 and £50 xmas presents.

Still to come will be: another £100 foodshop, netflix £11, mobile phones £25 (for 2lines), £50 birthdays, £20 get well soon flowers and gift, £10 tfl out of zone top up, £50 contact lenses, £100 charitable giving oh and £18 lotto (A girl can still dream) barring that it's battening down the hatches. Any funds left over will go towards some Christmas shopping and more to Mat savings. Well thats the plan...:)

Thats enough babbling form me- thats the plan anyway...right off to watch a film now...evening all and have a fab week!:D x
    NSD November 2/30
  • Hi Shelbi,

My laptop broke :( hence the lack of posting. I hate trying to post anything of length on a mobile /tablet...the spaces between lines always come out too big and I make more typos as I can't see it all on the screen at once. Boo hiss!

£50 is good for food for both of you, especially given that you live in London.

The £100 maternity bundle is great value and you have to put your bump somewhere!

How you doing on planning your regular annual bills etc? You got a plan for all that as well?
  • Shelbi
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi PositiveBalance:wave:,

Sorry I've been MIA, Such a busy time, I hope you had a wonderful time lovely & have fixed your laptop...I'll be popping over with a cuppa real soon for a proper catch up.:beer:

So my savings figures haven't increased yet since my last post as we've been cash flowing Christmas but I'm more determined than ever to save in 2020, Im cutting it all a little fine- In true Shelbi Tradition.:o

I've been giving some thought to my annual bills, I need to be sure I can cover all my outgoings next year especially as my maternity pay will dwindle from October onwards. Over the next few days I will be attempting to sort my 2020 budget.

I'm thinking of joining the frugal living challenge 2020, attempting to live on £4000 for the next 12months (excluding Rent and council tax) I'm going to be honest, it will be tight- obv the £4000 will be my challenge not OH's, so this will not be our household annual expenditure, he so would never go for that :rotfl: but I can do it on my side. So that's £333.34pm spends per month excl. rent and council tax. I'll post my proposed budget once I'm done but by following this I should be able to save around £1500pm (hopefully).

Got to run but I will be back with my 2020 budget post later, Hope you all have a fab and fun day...

Sx
    NSD November 2/30
  • Shelbi wrote: »
    Hi PositiveBalance:wave:,

Sorry I've been MIA, Such a busy time, I hope you had a wonderful time lovely & have fixed your laptop...I'll be popping over with a cuppa real soon for a proper catch up.:beer:
    Come over for tea, Christmas cake and/or a mince pie. I'd offer you something stronger but, well, you have a bump to consider! :D

Shelbi wrote: »
    So my savings figures haven't increased yet since my last post as we've been cash flowing Christmas but I'm more determined than ever to save in 2020, Im cutting it all a little fine- In true Shelbi Tradition.:o

So long you haven't gone into debt, it could be a lot worse!

I've been giving some thought to my annual bills, I need to be sure I can cover all my outgoings next year especially as my maternity pay will dwindle from October onwards. Over the next few days I will be attempting to sort my 2020 budget.

Word to the wise: set up a reminder somewhere (calender/phone etc) telling you that you house insurance etc. is due however long in advance you need to give you the time to hunt for the best price for that particulary thing.

I'm thinking of joining the frugal living challenge 2020, attempting to live on £4000 for the next 12months (excluding Rent and council tax) I'm going to be honest, it will be tight- obv the £4000 will be my challenge not OH's, so this will not be our household annual expenditure, he so would never go for that :rotfl: but I can do it on my side. So that's £333.34pm spends per month excl. rent and council tax. I'll post my proposed budget once I'm done but by following this I should be able to save around £1500pm (hopefully).

Wow -that's hardcore! Go you! I don't think I could do it but good on you for giving it a go! I've joined the Pay off All Your Debt in 2020 which will still be challening, but hopefully a bit more realistic (especially given that I need to save another £800 to top up my baby emergency fund as well! :eek:)

Baby-related thought: have you considered what you are going to do for nappies/wipes etc. I have noticed a trend among my mum friends (note: I am not a mum but I have friends who are) who are trying the news-tyle terry nappies and reusable wipes like Cheeky Wipes

They have mentioned that they cost a bit at the start buy save them a lot of money over the long-run, especially with the wipes and especially if they go on to have more children in the future. :money: The nappies do appear to cause a bit more phaff that the disposables as you have to wash them etc. but lots of them seem happy that they are better for the environment even if they have to do more washing/drying.

Just *another* thing to think about in the run-up to parenthood! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business