Dentists - license to print money?

A family member has just had some dental work carried out but has had to go back for emergency treatment as his gum became infected due to (he claims) the fact that the dentist accidentally sliced it open when trying to remove a tooth.

Should he have to pay again if indeed, the infection was caused by poor dental practice (I'm refraining from using incompetence as I wasn't there)?

It got my cynical mind thinking further - what's to stop dentists prescribing extra work when it's not entirely necessary? I guess there are codes of conduct and routes of recourse but would the average customer know what's necessary and what's not?

Comments

• brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Dentists in the U.K. are the most highly regulated in the world. Over 50 different bodies can inspect dental surgeries and the GDC (general dental council) is chaired by a previous consumers association chair. Every aspect of dentistry is open to scrutiny and regular inspections , checks and regulations make dentistry far more scrutinised than almost any other profession.

If the dentist is NHS every item of treatment they do is statistically analysed and compared against every other dentist in the area and in the country. If they do too much or too little treatment this is analysed quarterly and their patient records examined . If there is a concern patients may be recalled and further investigations made.

In any case there is no incentive to make up work on the nhs, in fact just the opposite as the payment structure penalises dentists who do involved treatment plans.

If a dentist is private then they rely on word of mouth and patient recommendation . If they appear to do "too much work" patients will soon leave and initiate complaints and/or litigation.

Dentists in the U.K. are more likely to be sued than anywhere else in the world including the US.

I presume your relative needed the tooth extracted either because it was badly decayed or had gum disease? In which case infection is already there, and removing a tooth leaves a large open wound to heal up. Added to that if the tooth was difficult to remove it makes it more likely to become infected particularly if the patient smokes or is eg diabetic.

The vast majority of dentists are ethical , hard working professionals , subject to increasing regulation and litigation . Reading the titles of the most recent threads is a somewhat depressing experience for any dentist in one of the most stressful jobs (after air traffic controller) there is,
  • Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    You’re right, and as just anyone can do it why don’t you set up and make the money yourself?
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    It's just brilliant.

I'm on a gravy train with biscuit wheels. I go onto my balcony every day and throw bundles of notes at all the poor people waiting down below.

It always surprises me the whole world doesn't just do a few 'A' levels, spend a few years at Uni, and become qualified. It's just one long joyride after that! :D
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Oh, well, it's a change from slagging off teachers. :p
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Thanks Brooks2jack for your constructive answer.
  • Toothsmith,
    There are people who appreciate you very much. My dentist is a lovely bloke. It pains me that there are so many "hard-of-thinking" folks out there who seem to think everyone is out to fleece them whilst just doing their job.
    I don't post on here much but I see you do and have for a very long time.
    Why don't people show appreciation for THAT?!!
    I am grateful for the help and information you post for others even if THEY are not!
    Tha's doin a grand job!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport