Plusnet customers to be hit with up to four months of backdated bills - MSE News

Hundreds of Plusnet customers will be hit with up to four months' worth of bills at once, after a system error meant their payments weren't taken...
Read the full story:
'Plusnet customers to be hit with up to four months of backdated bills'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I can cope with 4 x £3.51 when I haven't had a bill since December last year. If people have not been putting the money away it is their own fault. Plusnet have said they will offer a payment plan for those that are in difficulty. Another MSE No News story.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    There are those who pay a lot more than £3.50 for Plusnet services, and lead such busy working lives that they forget to check payments. It must be good to be so completely competent and have the time to keep abreast of things.

Fortunately I am well retired and do have time to check: on reading this, the first thing I did was check that my last 4 monthly bills had been paid.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • "I'm annoyed - and worried - that Plusnet may in fact take four months' payment in one go if the date of the backdated bills coincides with my normal bill date.

So, given that you didn't have the money taken from your bank account for the past four months, that money is still in your bank account.

Or you spent it, thinking you had free service for four months, and are baulking at having to pay it now?

What do you mean you didn't notice it not coming out of your bank account?
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 September 2019 at 10:13PM
    Never noticed, don't bother me if take it all out in one go, it all comes out from the bills account which I only use for bills.

EDIT: Just checked, no missed payments from me
  • Just had this message, after upgrading to Fibre

I'm happy to confirm your fibre order has completed.

Unfortunately we've temporarily suspended the billing of your account due to a system related issue with changing your package to fibre in the billing engine. I'm afraid I'm unable to advise when we'll unsuspend your account billing however if it takes us longer than 3 months to generate your next bill we'll only charge you a maximum of 3 months leading up to the bill generating.

If you need any support once we've generated your bill we'll be happy to discuss a payment plan to split the cost across more than one month. In the meantime this shouldn't affect your service in any way.
  • I'm in a slightly different position after i renewed contract in April. Every bill is different and it makes it hard to manage my outgoings on a limited budget. I raised the issue as a complaint after a live chat could not explain the problem but no action in the last 2 weeks.

I would leave but I 'll be charged cessation fee.

or do i have a legitimate reason to ?
  • I have no tale of Plusnet failure to take payment but my recent experience is that Plusnet accounts department seems to be in general disarray.

Apart from some minor teething troubles when I switched to them, which Plusnet speedily resolved, I had been perfectly satisfied with service. I decided to switch to another supplier purely on price grounds.

- Plusnet told me I would have to pay a whole month's early termination charge rather than a charge based on a prorata calculation of the few days my contract had left to run when I switched. This was contrary to terms and conditions.
    - Plusnet told me I would also have to pay a cease fee. These are now defunct.

I challenge this but various Plusnet staff persisted in saying these charges would be applied. After prolonged correspondence and writing to CEO they admitted their error and also made the additional payment I had demanded for the time I had wasted.

Moral: Check bills carefully and don't give up.
  • I have Legal & General pet insurance and they've failed to take a monthly payment since May when I changed from an annually paid service (despite many calls from myself). I wonder whether they use the same call centres and therefor the same software?
  • I renewed my contract in February but they continued to charge me the old amount (about £8 extra) for a couple of months before I noticed it. I rang them and got one lot refunded but it took some time to get the other months refunded. All sorted now tho.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Robisere wrote: »
    There are those who pay a lot more than £3.50 for Plusnet services, and lead such busy working lives that they forget to check payments. It must be good to be so completely competent and have the time to keep abreast of things.

Fortunately I am well retired and do have time to check: on reading this, the first thing I did was check that my last 4 monthly bills had been paid.

A lot of people have busy lives and have no problem managing their finances. To check your finances hardly takes any time at all if you manage your money properly.

If anyone has any money problems after missing 3 payments and having them all paid at once needs to sort out their finances urgently because they are not in control of them.

I have a separate bills account and i pay a monthly amount to cover all my bills into this accounts. So if this happened to me i wouldn't even need to check, the money would just be building up waiting for them to take it without any issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure