Automatic car buy options

Options
Hello
This is not a "money saving" question directly, so feel free to delete if against the rules.

I need to buy my first car with automatic gearbox (license for automatic). Budget less than 7500.

90% of my car use will be for me only, commuting to work. My work place is around 22 miles away and does not really require motorway unless there are road works on other routes.

Rest will be family trips (within city Grocery shopping, school runs, GP appointments, tourism, travel and entertainment) - with 2 small kids.

I have a few questions and will help me if you could share experience:

- Will a body type: hatchback suffice my need - boot space for 2 child buggies and installing two child car seats?

- What should be the minimum engine size? Will a 1.2L engine size be too small for my needs?

- Is autotrader the only website to look for used cars?

- Currently I don't have vehicle, does this mean my search should be limited to within 20 miles radius so that I don't massively overspend in traveling to different places for test drive of car? I don't have any family living locally who could give me lift to far areas for looking at suitable cars.

Comments

• James2k
    James2k Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    - Currently I don't have vehicle, does this mean my search should be limited to within 20 miles radius so that I don't massively overspend in traveling to different places for test drive of car? I don't have any family living locally who could give me lift to far areas for looking at suitable cars.
    Only you can answer this.

Bear in mind that if you buy a car from a garage, you may need to take it back for warranty repair etc, so it shouldn't be farther than you can manage.

If you want to risk a private sale, eBay has probably more than autotrader these days. (you get trade sellers there too of course)
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Assuming you are a new driver does the £7500 budget include insurance which could be in the region of £1500 to £2000 for a new driver depending on age.

With two pushchairs boot space is going to be a deciding factor. Go to a couple of large independent local garages to see what type of car suits your needs. Once you have decided on a model you can look further out for the right car.

In terms of engines avoid the Ford ecoboost 1l they are known to be very unreliable. 1.2l turbo engines are good in new cars but I would not want an older one due to the high stresses they are subjected to.

Do some research into auto boxes as some are more reliable than others.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    angrycrow wrote: »
    In terms of engines avoid the Ford ecoboost 1l they are known to be very unreliable.

That's a gross exaggeration. Somewhere around 2,000 of 600,000 cars have had a problem.
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,492 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2018 at 11:09AM
    Options
    Not all automatic gearboxes are the same these days and some are more reliable than others.

What used to be considered proper automatics are what's know has Torque Converter Automatics, the torque converter replaces the clutch.

These are harder to come by these days on small/medium used cars, though manufacturers are now reverting to them again due to problems with Automated Manuals on their newer models.
    The are generally more reliable than Automated Manuals, though do require a bit more engine power/fuel to run.

Automated Manuals are just that, servos and electronics operate the clutch and change the gears for you.
    They still have clutches that wear unlike the Torque Convertor and CVT (see below)

Each manufacturer has their own name for them, Ford call theirs Powershift, Fiat call theirs Dualogic, VW have a more complicated system called DSG, which has two clutches.
    These style gearboxes tend to use less fuel than Torque Converters, but are very unreliable and expensive to repair.
    The don't tend to "creep" like a torque converter, so it can make pulling away a bit of an issue, as well as reversing.

I would steer clear of these, though it won't be easy.

The final type of auto is the Constant Velocity Transmission (CVT).

They have been around for years, but recently become more popular again.
    These are basically a drive belt with one gear that grows or reduces depending on speed, just like a scooter gearbox does.
    Though Toyota in their Hybrid models use a different geared CVT system attached to the electric motor that is very robust and reliable (just ask any mini cabber) so I would recommend looking at something like a Prius or Yaris Hybrid.

Perhaps more suited to your needs space wise might be a 1.6 Kia Venga or Hyundai ix20 (they are the same car under the skin) both come with proper Torque convertor gearboxes and you should be able to get one with some manufacturers warranty still on them, as they came with 7 and 5 year warranties.
  • James2k
    Options
    Goudy wrote: »
    These style gearboxes tend to use less fuel than Torque Converters, but are very unreliable and expensive to repair.
    Yeah right, i'm sure they are falling out of cars left right and centre..

Some bad ones shouldn't taint the whole group, there are plenty of bad manuals too.

As i said, i would never go back to manual now. its (imo) obsolete
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,492 Forumite
    Options
    All the manufacturers are dropping automated manuals these days.
    Ford dropped their Powershift from the new Fiesta/Ecoboost/Focus.
    Citroen/Peugeot have also dropped their ETG for new TC's.
    Suzuki now do a proper TC for their Vitaras, Swifts and Baleno as well.

Tells you everything you need to know about Automated Manuals really!

I just need to sell my Citroen ETG6 for a proper TC, it's cost me dearly.
  • James2k
    Options
    that's too bad for you i guess.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Honest John motoring column which I set some store by recommends traditional torque converter auto boxes if you don't want a disposable car. The cost of repairing auto boxes is prohibitive. But HJ also recommends a big engine where autos work more smoothly. With diesel now being out of favour (I've never bought one, was always put off by the pollution and complexity of the cleaning systems) I'm also in a quandary about the next car where an auto would be nice. A big engined petrol auto would put my fuel bill up by 50%. I'm looking forward to cheaper all-electric cars.
  • James2k
    Options
    What do you define as big engined..
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A colleague at the office was waxing lyrical about his recently acquired Nissan Quashqai. His has the birds eye parking aids making tight spaces a doddle. Nissan have refined automatic technology if you believe this review
    https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/nissan/qashqai/16-dci-acenta-5dr-xtronic/road-test
    Despite it being a diesel I'd be tempted.
    Their petrol turbo engines do not bode well though and I'd avoid any petrol turbo.
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/jan/28/nissan-qashqai-engine-failure-mechanical-oil-problems
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure