Variable Speed Limit Ticket - Help.

Comments

• Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    The time to worry is when you receive the ticket. I came to the conclusion long ago that there's no point in worrying before.
    Whatever happens, take this as a warning. Take notice of what's going on around you. What signs there are. What other vehicles are doing.
    Most "good driving" is "good observation"
  • Helpmelord
    Helpmelord Posts: 23 Forumite
    Jackmydad, thanks for your response this has been helpful feedback I will for certain, wait eagerly. Just to ask one more question, if I do not receive anything within the 14 days notice, can I assume that the outcome is nothing?
  • Helpmelord
    Even though you couldn't see any reason for the limit to be reduced, this doesn't mean that there wasn't a legitimate reason for it.
    There may well have been congestion or an accident ahead and the speed limit was reduced because of this.

Yes, that doesn't mean there was not a legitimate reason of course, However, I was driving for 20 minutes more and no congestion, or roadworks. Anyway, this does not help my cause, if the speed was set to 50
  • Helpmelord
    Car_54 wrote: »
    With respect, this is rubbish.

If it was indeed a 50 limit, any speed up to 75 is going to mean a fixed penalty, 3 points and £100.

Thank you for your response. It is good to know - I was doing 70 MPH, so hopefully 3 points and £100 will be the final punishment
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Helpmelord wrote: »
    Yes, that doesn't mean there was not a legitimate reason of course, However, I was driving for 20 minutes more and no congestion, or roadworks. Anyway, this does not help my cause, if the speed was set to 50

Once you've got a bit more driving experience you will find that restricted speed for no obvious reason is very common on our motorways, it's frustrating to all of us but unless you learn to observe and follow the posted limits you soon won't be driving at all.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,271
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

It could well be that slowing the traffic where you are will prevent a total standstill 5miles down the road
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,178
    Forumite
    Jackmydad, thanks for your response this has been helpful feedback I will for certain, wait eagerly. Just to ask one more question, if I do not receive anything within the 14 days notice, can I assume that the outcome is nothing?

The NIP must be served on the Registered Keeper within 14 days. If you are not the RK, it could take some weeks longer.
  • HornetSaver
    HornetSaver Posts: 3,732
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Yes, there was... Bloody great big illuminated signs over the carriageway.

If they were I'd completely agree with you - and from what I know about the M25 (Dartford around to Maple Cross) I do agree with you - but not all variable signs are like that.

In either Northamptonshire or Buckinghamshire on the M1 there are some extremely naughty variable speed limit signs which are left hand side only, and no I'm not confusing these for the advisory ones that come up in orange (which you can ignore, but ignoring these would be an aggravating factor should anything happen) these are proper variable speed limit signs. Should you happen to be overtaking a lorry or two you've had it. You really, really need a dashcam if you drive that stretch regularly.

When it comes to roadworks in non-variable stretches of motorway, if I see cones and don't know the speed limit I assume it's 50 until able to satisfy myself otherwise.

Getting back to the OP, to get a speed awareness course you'd need to have been going under 66mph. Which if your speedo said exactly 70mph you *might* just squeak under, though it's unlikely.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    Forumite
    If they were I'd completely agree with you - and from what I know about the M25 (Dartford around to Maple Cross) I do agree with you
    The OP was on the M25.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,178
    Forumite

Getting back to the OP, to get a speed awareness course you'd need to have been going under 66mph. Which if your speedo said exactly 70mph you *might* just squeak under, though it's unlikely.
    Under 65. The cut-off point for a course is 110% of limit plus 9 mph, so 64.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure