Loft Office Suitability Query?

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    EachPenny wrote: »
    No, the answer is in what you say. You spread the load over more members, but this in itself doesn't strengthen anything.

It is the equivalent of carrying one shopping bag in each hand rather than carrying two bags in one hand. Your arms don't become stronger because each one is only holding one bag, however as a system the load is easier to carry because the load is spread and balanced.

I do prefer to use both hands with two bags, I could carry four bags with two hands, but I could not carry four bags in one hand. If I had a rucksack, I could carry more than four bags :)
  • sevenhills
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Bored now.

And I thought you were a busy professional :)
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    OK, one last try ...
    I assumed that in it's current state, the warm air would rise while the cold up in the attic would cause dampness and/or condensation. There are only boards on the floor in the loft at the moment. Would it be beneficial to board the walls and roof of the loft? Even without insulation?

So, you already have structural alterations to the loft (floor boarding) and you are considering further structural alterations (boarding the walls and roof). As you already have a window, that's getting pretty close to what most people would call a loft conversion.
    I think you're reading me the wrong way. Clearly text is not a great way of communicating or showing emotion sadly. So if my comments seemed like I didn't accept any professional advice, I apologise.

I 100% accept help over my own advice as I know nothing about this sort of thing.

What you said about the static load over several more beams makes sense as to how it could withstand the weight over such a long period of time.

So my next guess is, if I want an inhabitable (not habitable?) room to do some work, I need a structural engineer out to strengthen the beams first?

I'd suggest the figure is below 100%. And yes, I think it's been suggested you might need the advice of a structural engineer, several times. So maybe 100% accept that advice, and come back and let us know what the structural engineer said.
    "underestimating the strength of lofts in Scotland". Now, THAT is what you call tongue in cheek. Clearly I wasn't basing the strength of my home on the place it was built.... And assuming all houses in the UK are built to a certain standard, I had no idea that the place of build would determine a different outcome. Nobody asked where my house was, therefore I had no idea it was relevant. Judging by your response, it sounds like it IS relevant?

And no, changing the use of the loft doesn't mean it's a conversion. You added the word "Structure", not me. I am not changing the structure at all. If you refer back to the OP, you will see this "in it's current condition" - Meaning, no structural changes. - Hope this helps?

I'd suggest that is exactly what you said. Maybe use emoticons if you want to convey you weren't being 100% serious?

You already have structural changes, and as per above, you are considering further structural changes. Adding load (boards) to the structure is a structural change (a change in the load).

I hope you aren't in Stirlingshire and you don't have nosy neighbours who might call the Council to come and inspect the alterations to your loft. Even though you didn't make those previous changes, the Council could enforce you to apply for a retrospective building warrant.

Many of the questions you are asking have been asked and answered in previous posts - just search for loft, or loft conversion.

Over and out. Good luck.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I do prefer to use both hands with two bags, I could carry four bags with two hands, but I could not carry four bags in one hand. If I had a rucksack, I could carry more than four bags :)
    Congratulations. You've just passed the first semester exam for your structural engineering degree. ;)

Next semester you will learn how to pile the four bags one on top of each other without them falling over. You'll be upgraded to the Master's course if you can manage to add a fifth bag. :D
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • dunroving wrote: »
    OK, one last try ...

So, you already have structural alterations to the loft (floor boarding) and you are considering further structural alterations (boarding the walls and roof). As you already have a window, that's getting pretty close to what most people would call a loft conversion.

I'd suggest the figure is below 100%. And yes, I think it's been suggested you might need the advice of a structural engineer, several times. So maybe 100% accept that advice, and come back and let us know what the structural engineer said.

I'd suggest that is exactly what you said. Maybe use emoticons if you want to convey you weren't being 100% serious?

You already have structural changes, and as per above, you are considering further structural changes. Adding load (boards) to the structure is a structural change (a change in the load).

I hope you aren't in Stirlingshire and you don't have nosy neighbours who might call the Council to come and inspect the alterations to your loft. Even though you didn't make those previous changes, the Council could enforce you to apply for a retrospective building warrant.

Many of the questions you are asking have been asked and answered in previous posts - just search for loft, or loft conversion.

Over and out. Good luck.

Adding boards would be considered structural addition. And no, the council couldn't come and enforce me to apply for a building warrant. That's something out of this whole thread I DO KNOW.

My question was, and STILL IS "is there a way to cheaply keep my loft (in it's current state) free from condensation as I want to use electricals in my loft for an hour or so as well as keep electricals in the loft with my storage".

I appreciate all the sarcastic advice and off topic issues, but those weren't my questions.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    And the answer STILL IS that you shouldn't be sitting in your loft because it isnmt designed as a room.

And you had plenty advice about insulation. You should insulate it like you would insulate - wait for it - a loft conversion. Because guess what? You are converting your loft.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck...
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • sevenhills
    My question was, and STILL IS "is there a way to cheaply keep my loft (in it's current state) free from condensation as I want to use electricals in my loft for an hour or so as well as keep electricals in the loft with my storage".

I dont get why you keep saying that you have/may get 'condensation' in your loft.
    Do you mean dampness, which I dont get. My loft is dry but cold.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 November 2018 at 3:16PM

I appreciate all the sarcastic advice and off topic issues, but those weren't my questions.

The answer was, and still is, NO there is no way to do that. See posts 19 and 21 on electrical safety and fire safety, for example.

This sub-forum is not, and has never been, about 'helping' people DIY in a way that is clearly dangerous and/ or clearly illegal. MSE generally is not about 'helping' people engage in dangerous or illegal activities. That is made clear all over this website.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • andre_xs
    andre_xs Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    My question was, and STILL IS "is there a way to cheaply keep my loft (in it's current state) free from condensation as I want to [STRIKE]use electricals in my loft for an hour or so as well as [/STRIKE]keep electricals in the loft with my storage".

Maybe we can take a little heat out of the discussion by separating the two issues of using the loft for activities other than bringing stuff up/down for/from storage and actually just storing something up there.

For "storing" stuff: It really depends on the state of your loft and roof. If it is in a good state and well ventilated, then it may just get cold, but not necessarily damp. Then I wouldn't see any problem storing stuff up there. In my life, I used to store a lot of electrical stuff on attics without a problem.

One issue might be smell: In particular in winter it might get slightly damp (not so much that's a problem for electrical items) which may cause this typical "attic/loft" smell. Thus, storing fabrics, clothes, etc. may be a problem because they may take up the smell. For this, we bought rather cheap plastic boxes with lids, put the stuff in there with a big pack of silicate or alike and then "seal" the box using masking tape around the lid. Worked very well so far, and if your electrical equipment is precious, you may do the same thing.

Condensation is a different issue and may happen if warm air from your house (living space) can go up into the attic on a constant basis (e.g. the loft hatch isn't sealed properly). Then the humidity in the warm and humid air from your living space will condensate in the cold attic (e.g. at the membrane, the window, etc.). Since you said you haven't seen this so far, there shouldn't be a problem in this respect.

Insulating the roof: If the floor is already insulated, I'm not sure that insulating the roof will change much in the loft space with respect to temperature and dampness. After all it is not heated and will adjust largely to the outside temperature. If you do it properly (damp proof membrane, etc.) you may get lower levels of dampness. But you'd have to do this very properly, because even tiny mistakes here may have huge effects in terms of condensation, dampness, mould, etc. But about all of this I'm not really sure as I'm not an expert on this.

I'm keeping myself out of the discussion whether you should use the space for your YouTube videos. I presume that you already thought about using a bedroom or living room for this...

Best wishes,
    Andre
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 November 2018 at 4:09PM
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I dont get why you keep saying that you have/may get 'condensation' in your loft.
    Do you mean dampness, which I dont get. My loft is dry but cold.
    Back in the day of halogen light bulbs and magnetic tape, keeping them and using them in a cold place like a loft was a big no-no because any moisture (e.g. contained in your breath) would instantly condense on them and either cause them to pop (in the case of bulbs) or mangle the tape. VCRs used to come with strict instructions to leave them in a warm room to acclimatise before use for this very reason.

With LEDs and digital devices the problem is less serious, but even so I would not use ££££'s of equipment in an environment where condensation were a risk*.

The solution is to have a professionally designed loft conversion with adequate structural support and appropriate heating and ventilation. :)

*ETA: Also some devices have a condensation sensor and will simply refuse to switch on if they detect conditions where condensation is a risk.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport