Complaint for Visa and Halifax

Options

Comments

• HappyUser
    HappyUser Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    Pun wrote: »
    S75 protection only kicks in where the total cost of the item/service is at least £100. How often does your tube journey cost that?

You misunderstood, I didn't ask if protection is available for tube payments, I asked if credit card can be used for tube payments.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    As others have said, you can use a credit card pretty much anywhere you can use a debit card, including tube journeys. Only thing you shouldn't use it for (because you will pay fees) is cash withdrawals and buying foreign currency.

Otherwise, for goods purchases, your protection is much higher with a CC than a DC, at least for purchases over £100.

For purchases under £100, Paypal has good protection.

However, again as others have said, best not to make too many claims on any method otherwise it will start ringing alarm bells.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pun wrote: »
    S75 protection only kicks in where the total cost of the item/service is at least £100. How often does your tube journey cost that?

It's personal choice what card type you want to use but it's usually best to spend someone else's money rather than your own - which can sit gathering interest (albeit small) until you then pay off the CC bill in full. Using a CC isn't always about S75 coverage and the Chargeback coverage for debit and credit cards is pretty much the same.

Banks will use Chargeback rules to handle disputes wherever possible. Paying out when conceding a likely S75 liability always comes after using any available CB rules. The rules aren't complicated, but where so-called consumer-protection is the focus of the CB you should - as stated in a previous post - be aware that the retailer has a 'right to reply'.

I very much doubt that any card issuer would downgrade its efforts to help a customer based on the card type used. Laziness or lack of knowledge are much more likely reasons. It is true, though, (or at least it was) that a card issuer will receive a payment from the retailer's bankers for every 'sale' transaction made on one of its cards. This payment will be a percentage of a credit card transaction's value but will be a fixed number of pence per transaction for a debit card.

And, yes, unless you have no other choice, do not 'borrow' cash from ATMs or by over-the-counter cash advances on CCs because you will likely pay a handling fee and interest from day 1 regardless of whether you pay in full. Debit Cards for cash withdrawals every time.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've literally never made a chargeback ever so this thread utterly baffles me. Where on earth is OP doing their shopping?

FWIW I use a credit card (either Amex or Barclaycard for places that don't take Amex) for literally everything, so on top of extra protection I also get paid to spend money.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Lisbon
    Lisbon Posts: 415 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How about egg sandwiches?
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lisbon wrote: »
    How about egg sandwiches?

No I have to buy those in groats and shillings.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    HappyUser wrote: »
    Can I use a credit card to completely replace my debit card?
    Ie, I can use it at the takeaway, tube, online, etc?

I very rarely use my Debit Card, the Credit card gets used for pretty much everything that isn't a cash withdrawal or a payment into an investment/savings account. I use it at the takeaway (if they accept it), the tube, bus, train, tram etc in London, online, shops, restaurants, to access a public toilet in Oslo etc.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    I've literally never made a chargeback ever so this thread utterly baffles me. Where on earth is OP doing their shopping?

FWIW I use a credit card (either Amex or Barclaycard for places that don't take Amex) for literally everything, so on top of extra protection I also get paid to spend money.

I'm not surprised you've never done a Chargeback. You and I don't do Chargebacks. We have disputes with retailers and sometimes we ask our credit/debit card issuing banks to intervene for us. They have rule sets (as already described in several posts) that in certain circumstances allow them to send the debts back to the retailers bank. That process is called the Chargeback Process.

Not sure that Amex has quite the same level of dispute protection as cards branded with Visa or MasterCard. Is your Amex card a Charge Card or a Credit Card? Traditional Amex was always a Charge Card, meaning you had to pay in full every month. Legally that isn't a Credit Card and so you don't get S75 CCA coverage. If you have one of the more modern Amex Credit Cards you do have the protection.

I hope there is no fee for your Amex Card. You can buy a lot of egg sandwiches with that fee.
  • HappyUser
    HappyUser Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    OK I am convinced to get a credit card then, although I don't understand how these people will make money of me as I don't want to pay any interest.

From my understanding, it is either 0% for many months or rewards that you get, right? The 0% would be interesting, but they still want you to pay each month the balance (if not, you pay a balance fee to transfer it each month), so I don't see any benefit with that.

Is there a list with the other rewards I can have? And is there any who provides protection for less than £100?
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    HappyUser wrote: »
    From my understanding, it is either 0% for many months or rewards that you get, right?
    You haven't done your homework :)

With 0% for many months you just need to pay a little over the minimum payment, which is usually the maximum of 1% or 2% of the balance and a fixed amount you are expected to pay (e.g. £25 for Virgin Card, £5 for Lloyds).

There is a thread dedicated to credit cards discussions in the credit cards area of this forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure