Thomas Sanderson

Comments

• Do all of these % discounts and methods apply in the same way for their shutters - so basically halve the price they first quote?
  • Ok, so having worked as a 'Sales Designer' for TS I can tell you how to get the best possible price for the products they sell.

There is a lot of smoke and mirrors when it comes to the TS sales pitch so be careful - Firstly I will say that on the whole the products are fantastic and stand out head and shoulders above a lot of the suppliers out there but like has been said several times already in this thread they are way WAY over priced (And a lot of the products are not as exclusive as they claim and are widely available from other local suppliers who get their fabrics from Hunter Douglas, TS's parent company)
    The sales pitch is drilled into the 'designers' from the outset as they want them to follow their process from start to finish (This is why the job suits mindless, stupid people with low morales and lack of brain cells to begin with).

To get the best price here's what you need to know - the First price the designer gives you will 99'% of the time include 'Free Furniture' which is actually adding a 5% premium to the cost of your order so get the 'designer' to remove any furniture and the associated cost first.
    Now you have the true 'Full Price'. This is where the nasty calling to check stock levels and manager calls start, if yo have the time let them go through this and start discounting but be warned they will tell you anything they think you want or need to hear to close the deal on the day.

The 'Designer' can give as much as an additional 45% discount from the 'Full Price' quoted - scary!! After speaking to their manager they MAY be able to give another 5% discount but don't let them get this far, show them the door.
    Now this is how you get the BEST price - the 'Designer' has 3 days to close the deal, after which the deal ownership gets passed over to an external company (Owned and run by the sales directors God Son of all people!!) and this company has the ability to give up to an additional 10% discount!!
    So lets look at this with some figures shall we....lets assume the first price you are quoted is £5250 (£5000 for blinds plus the 5% charge for the 'free furniture') - remove the furniture and the price drops to £5000.....get the discount the 'designer' can offer you of 45% and the price has now dropped to £2750. Now after waiting over 3 days you get the 3rd additional discount of an extra 10% and now you have a price of £2250!! A Massive saving of £3000 (55%) from their Full Price - now that's a saving!!

Best of all, and here's the bit I love the most....the Direct line manager of the Designer you had sitting 3+Hrs in your living room gets charged a % of the extra 10% discount you just saved as a penalty so they get billed for the 'designer' not closing the deal and 'allowing' the sales directors God Son's company to close the deal and the designer gets nothing for all his or hers hard sell - so you now have a top draw product at a slightly more realistic price maybe, just maybe of enough customers follow this process TS will rethink their sales techniques and listen to and treat their front line 'designer' with just a little bit more respect - after all these are the guys and gals that do the actual hard work day in day our TOTALLY at their own expense!!

Sorry, first time poster and it took me a while to figure out how...

I just wanted to ask whether these tactics and the % discounts mentioned above apply in the same way for TS shutter quotes - to basically aim to halve the price the price they fist quote?
  • Just a little more information about this company. I enquired about having my conservatory cleaned and was quoted almost a thousand pounds and with their 'special' protection it was over a thousand. Who can afford this yearly?....extortionate.
  • Hi. thank you for the heads up on Sanderson blind people. Can I ask who you used instead please. Many thanks
  • We put in our details in to a 'third-party' website for three quotations, TS were supposedly the only ones to get back to us. Looking back on this now, this initial stage of competitive quotations is highly misleading.
    We had an initial visit from a sales guy how spent a good few hours with us and initially quoted £12k
    blinds for the conservatory. He then dropped the side blinds from the quotation so it would just the roof blinds for a 3mx4m conservatory and it came down to £8k. He then recalculated with another discount, reduced the number of blinds (not area though) and he finished at £6k.
    He did not seem too bothered that we thought it would be around £1.5k max for blinds and that he had driven almost 2hrs to visit us.
    Low and behold we got a call later that week offering the blinds at a maximum reduced rate in the ball park of £4k, but it would need to be done by a sales person who could ring me in the morning.
    I got a call back as they said, very politely explained this is last-stop offer of £3k but I would need to sign-up on the spot.
    I said that I would need to confirm with my partner (this is still twice the price of my expectation). We look forward to talking to the sales call again tomorrow. But I see that they are basically shocking people with astronomically pricing and slowly putting the pressure on as they reduce the price.
  • I found this thread as I had a telephone call from a number that I didn't recognise, but turned out to be Sanderson.
    We chose their blinds some 14 years ago a year after the installation of our conservatory, realising that blinds were essential if we wanted to use the conservatory.
    Sanderson's framework fitted unobtrusively. (I'm sure others do now). Pretty much all of the salesmen that I have ever met use the same patter, which I disregard. They must all go to the same school!
    Obviously there is a considerable mark up that pays for the advertising and the payment made to you if you recommend someone else to have the blinds.
    I contacted Sanderson as I needed a new pole because old tenants had disposed of it. For a very reasonable price, Sanderson had someone come around to service and clean the blinds, which was very useful as some were sagging and I couldn't remember how to adjust them.
    Sanderson also told me that should we wish to change the blinds, they would offset the cost of the original set against the new ones. We declined as they were still in good condition, despite not being maintained by ten years of tenants.
    For me, they have been very good value for money. However, I think that I also negotiated a price that we were happy with at the time.
    I have no affiliation to Sanderson. Just a happy customer.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2017 at 2:49PM
    It seems odd to me that with his/her first post, Bradders2175 felt motivated to resurrect a very old thread to praise Thomas Sanderson.

We were suckered into buying over priced Sanderson blinds. We had an issue when the fitter drilled holes where he ought not to. After we complained, we discovered Sanderson sub-contracted our installation.

Go elsewhere would be my recommendation :-)
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 October 2017 at 9:14PM
    Avoid Thomas Sanderson.

I e-mailed them to arrange for a quote for 3 blinds for our new orangery - but the sales rep who subsequently rang me said that they had a minimum order of 4 blinds for orangeries/conservatories.

Not a problem - I bought the blinds from elsewhere. Except Thomas Sanderson now had my e-mail address and telephone number..........

The e-mails were easily dealt with - but the phone calls became VERY annoying. I told the callers that I had bought my blinds from another company, and that I hadn't gone with TS because of their 4 blind minimum order - and was called a liar as they had no such policy! I finally got rid of them by threatening to report them for harassment.
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Thomas Sanderson fitted blinds in my mum's conservatory a few years back.

Whilst they were expensive, one of the main selling points for my elderly mother was the fact that she could call them back once a year to clean and adjust them as required.

A year after they were fitted she booked them in - it cost a fortune again but she felt it was worth it.

Their man arrived and spent less than an hour to clean & adjust about 14 blinds.

When mum pointed out some marks on the ceiling blinds she was told that there was nothing he could do about them as they were mould which was caused by her not looking after the blinds properly (she's always followed the instructions she was given).

She phoned and complained and was told that they would call her the following year & give her a free clean - this never happened.

The blinds are now about 3 years old & looking like they need replacing. In addition some of the frames have come away from the windows where clips appear to have broken.

She would have been better off getting cheap ones and replacing them every year!
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    She would have been better off getting good quality ones for cheaper and replacing them every year!
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure