Royal Mail pre employment check

Options
I was offered the position as postman recently at my local delivery office. I am now undergoing a pre employment check. Problem is I have had some previous mental health issues which has got me in trouble before. I have stuff on my enhanced DBS but as far as I’m aware it’ll just be a basic check. If I’m on the barring list will that come up? Also I’ve had a couple of disciplinaries at work for some of my actions when “manic”. I have been stable since though. I’m kind of embarrassed by these facts and they have no reflection on what I’m like now. Is it likely these things will come up? Will they only use the references I’ve given them or will they use all the jobs I have on my CV?

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you on the barring list? You don't have to answer that, but I think you should know if that's likely or not.

Your health issues won't show on any DBS checks. Do they send you a health questionnaire? That's the time to ask to talk to the relevant person and outline what has changed since your health was problematic.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • LawrenceMPA
    Options
    I was never convicted of anything so I’m not sure if they would include it on my basic dbs. As far as I know it’s only included in my enhanced. I could be wrong though
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was offered the position as postman recently at my local delivery office. I am now undergoing a pre employment check. Problem is I have had some previous mental health issues which has got me in trouble before. I have stuff on my enhanced DBS but as far as I’m aware it’ll just be a basic check. If I’m on the barring list will that come up? Also I’ve had a couple of disciplinaries at work for some of my actions when “manic”. I have been stable since though. I’m kind of embarrassed by these facts and they have no reflection on what I’m like now. Is it likely these things will come up? Will they only use the references I’ve given them or will they use all the jobs I have on my CV?

I would expect you to know whether you are on either of the Barred lists.

In order to check either of those lists you have to be working with either children or vulnerable adults and an employer cannot check unless that is the case. Barred lists are not automatically checks just because an Enhanced check has been requested.

Have you completed the DBS form and provided documentary evidence so that a check can be carried out?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I would expect you to know whether you are on either of the Barred lists.

In order to check either of those lists you have to be working with either children or vulnerable adults and an employer cannot check unless that is the case. Barred lists are not automatically checks just because an Enhanced check has been requested.

Have you completed the DBS form and provided documentary evidence so that a check can be carried out?

Fully agree.

If you were on any of the barred lists than you would know about it.

A basic DBS would not tell an employer this because an employer can only check if you are going to be working in a position that involves working with vulnerable adults or children.

A basic DBS would only show any unspent criminal convictions, so if you have any it would of been best to declare these upfront.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure