Price match promise not being upheld - Box.co.uk & Ebuyer

Options
mr-smith
mr-smith Posts: 30 Forumite
edited 22 March 2019 at 12:02AM in Consumer rights
Been after a new gaming laptop and was searching for the best price , seems to be around £2300-500 , Both Box and eBuyer had it priced at £2499.99

I thought i had found a good deal that came out around £2385 and put a price match request in to Box , after a bit of argument about the use of a discount code they matched it , for about 5 minutes before they revoked it due missing a slight difference in spec ( HDD size )

I then found a slightly better deal for the exact same spec/model number at £2375.14 but its not a retailer I have used or heard much about so decided to go to both box and ebuyer since they offer price matching, Box especially advertises this on every single page of their site and seemed a pretty good "promise"

VzlGtr.jpg

They then came back with :

"In speaking to our product advisor on this sadly we are not able to offer a price match with this retailer unforutantely"

No mention of why so I asked and got this back :

"Our price match promise is to check if we can meet these prices, on any occasion that we are not able it is down to our discretion if we are able to match this

We cannot do so if we are making a loss on this, as such our product advisor has confirmed we are unable to do this unfortunately"

So I think they are now trying to say they wont match it by implying they would make a loss , at £124.85 reduction , I find it hard to belive thats all they make on these.

I also got a repsonce from eBuyer that they would not price match because of a free game code that came with it , for eBuyer they get the code from the manufacturer and pass it to the customer , And with the competitor you get it directly from the manufacturer.

They say this means it is not like for like and so will not price match ! Absolutely absurd.

Im just sick and tired of companies making promises and claims and then blatenty disregarding them when it comes to the crunch.

Is there anything I can do about this ?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just because you find it advertised cheaper does not mean ou can actually buy it at that price.

Seems odd that your moaning that they wont price match a company that you dont trust to purchase from.

They have come up when looking for PC hardware but not purchased from them so no idea what their price match terms are.

I would rather just click buy it from elsewhere at the lower price than jump through hoops to get a price match.

Although i did get a price match on one item from go-outdoors, they even used an amazon seller i wouldnt have bought from to give me an even better deal. I wouldnt not have bought from that seller.

Cant think of any other times i have price matched? Jumping through hoops is not for me,

Whats the company they wont price match?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The "if we would make a loss" exemption is the one they've called, and you can't realistically challenge that because you've got no right to find out what all of their costs are. If you still think it's false advertising then all you can do is report it to the authorities and let them deal with it, but that doesn't mean they have to sell you anything at a particular price.

And if the cheaper source is one you wouldn't want to use anyway, what's your argument?
  • mr-smith
    edited 22 March 2019 at 1:40AM
    Options
    Just because you find it advertised cheaper does not mean ou can actually buy it at that price.

Seems odd that your moaning that they wont price match a company that you dont trust to purchase from.

They have come up when looking for PC hardware but not purchased from them so no idea what their price match terms are.

I would rather just click buy it from elsewhere at the lower price than jump through hoops to get a price match.

Although i did get a price match on one item from go-outdoors, they even used an amazon seller i wouldnt have bought from to give me an even better deal. I wouldnt not have bought from that seller.

Cant think of any other times i have price matched? Jumping through hoops is not for me,

Whats the company they wont price match?

You can buy it at that price and the price match terms are screenshotted in my post...

davidmcn wrote: »
    The "if we would make a loss" exemption is the one they've called, and you can't realistically challenge that because you've got no right to find out what all of their costs are. If you still think it's false advertising then all you can do is report it to the authorities and let them deal with it, but that doesn't mean they have to sell you anything at a particular price.

And if the cheaper source is one you wouldn't want to use anyway, what's your argument?

Yeah , but its pretty plain to see they are just using that as a cover excuse. Poor conduct.

I know , just tired of all the false claims so thought id ask incase there was a indepentant authority on stuff like this.

The cheaper source may not be my prefered retailer but thats irrelavent of the pricing. Its price match promise not we will be your prefered retailer promise :)
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    But can you buy it at that price and under the same terms?

Both brand new factory sealed boxes? If so simply buy from the cheaper source, if they could have made a profit then that lost sale is their loss.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mr-smith wrote: »
    You can buy it at that price and the price match terms are screenshotted in my post...

Yeah , but its pretty plain to see they are just using that as a cover excuse. Poor conduct.

I know , just tired of all the false claims so thought id ask incase there was a indepentant authority on stuff like this.

The cheaper source may not be my prefered retailer but thats irrelavent of the pricing. Its price match promise not we will be your prefered retailer promise :)

I haven't looked at ebuyers price match policy but the one youve posted from box isn't saying they'll promise to price match. Their promise is quite literally that they will try to price match.

Why you would think making a loss is an excuse rather than genuine?

Even if their advertising was misleading, it would only give trading standards/the CMA the ability to take action over it. It wouldn't enable you to force them to price match.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    As above .
    Box clearly say IF WE CAN .

Independant Authority for an advert is the advertising standards authority . Unless the gmint have set up a price matching office.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Options
    I think its pretty clear to be honest.

It says they will only price match against reputable online sellers. Maybe they dont consider the other website to be reputable.
  • mr-smith
    Options
    But can you buy it at that price and under the same terms?

Both brand new factory sealed boxes? If so simply buy from the cheaper source, if they could have made a profit then that lost sale is their loss.

Yes , exactly the same. And yeah I agree I will get it from the cheaper source their loss.
    I haven't looked at ebuyers price match policy but the one youve posted from box isn't saying they'll promise to price match. Their promise is quite literally that they will try to price match.

Why you would think making a loss is an excuse rather than genuine?

Even if their advertising was misleading, it would only give trading standards/the CMA the ability to take action over it. It wouldn't enable you to force them to price match.

Because they where previously fine to price match within £10 of this price, and the total difference is only £124.85. I very much doubt that's putting them at a loss on a £2.5K purchase.
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    As above .
    Box clearly say IF WE CAN .

Independant Authority for an advert is the advertising standards authority . Unless the gmint have set up a price matching office.

Just a bit poor practice, If I had ran my business saying to everyone I will beat any quote , put it on all my comms then when someone asked about it said ah well actually its up to me and I wont... Would not have gone down well !
  • mr-smith
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    I think its pretty clear to be honest.

It says they will only price match against reputable online sellers. Maybe they dont consider the other website to be reputable.

Yeah that's what they came back with first then I pointed out they have been in business since 1998 , then they changed their minds and used the "at a loss" excuse.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Options
    So who is the company who has it at the lower price?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure