Meter to Smart Meter

Hi,
I have been asked by Thames Water if I wanted to upgrade from Meter to Smart Meter. I am already metered and going to smart meter won't be much of difference?

Anyone had any issues with Thames Water smart meters?

Thanks

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    It just means that they will be able to read it remotely by driving past your house or even transmitting the reading back to HQ rather than getting out, opening the access point and squinting into it.

Hopefully it will be less prone to mistakes and depending where your meter is located you wont have someone tramping all over your flower beds.

It's unlikely to taint your water, fry your brain or even tell criminals that you are on holiday or watching TV. You may even get more accurate bills as there shouldn't be any estimated ones for the times when they are late or don't come and read it.

I cannot think of a single valid reason for not having one fitted
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • daniesto
    daniesto Posts: 48 Forumite
    Excellent. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I was concerned about anyone tampering with it but it seems fairly safe. ����
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,151
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Makes me laugh about estimated bills. United Utilities only take my smart meter readings twice a year. I have to manually give them readings, to ensure I am paying the correct amount.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Makes me laugh about estimated bills. United Utilities only take my smart meter readings twice a year. I have to manually give them readings, to ensure I am paying the correct amount.

Perhaps Thames Water do it differently to the way UU do it, so it would be hard to make a comparison.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport