Architect plans

Hi, we are planning on building a large extension to the rear and side of our house and it’s all new to us we haven’t done anything like this before, I had an architect or a so called architect as I’ve recently learned he isn’t a registered architect,
When he first came round to measure up and we asked him how much it will cost to have the plans drawn up because we can’t afford to get it started just yet and he said it would be £650 + the planning fee £230...
Now the planning permission has been approved he is now asking for another £650 for detailed plans + £450 structural engineer fees now I feel like I’ve been led down the garden path a bit because we went with him because of the price! And I feel he should have been a bit clearer about what it was going to cost!
For the first price of £650 what should I have for this? Should I have some basic plans at least?
I’m a bit stuck now as I don’t feel comfortable forking out another £1100 to this guy for detailed plans when he isn’t even a registered architect!

What should I do? All help will be greatly appreciated TIA

Mike

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 March 2019 at 10:19AM
    He wants to produce building plans for you.

There's nothing unusual about it. You have a choice in whether you choose to have them, but it helps when you're going to different builders, will form part of the contract and can be submitted to Building Control. Planning drawings are simpler and there's no need for detailed drawings and calculations until you get planning.

The structural engineers fees are essential to ensure that building regulations are adhered to and that your house stays standing.

Your guy is cheap. A registered architect would be charging you more. This sounds like a case of you wanting your cake and eating it. I hope you don't take the same view with the builder - buy the cheapest and then wonder why they aren't doing exactly what you want.

£880 was never going to get your large wrap around extension built. There's a long way to go yet and probably six figures to spend. This is just part of the process.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • babyblade41
    babyblade41 Posts: 3,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    My architect is costing about 2750 . plus hourly rate as needed plus the 275.00 to draw and submit the plan with I think 226.00 planning fee

This is for a smallish single storey kitchen extension to square off the front of the house
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    I agree with Doozer and babyblade £650 for Planning drawings for a "large rear and side extension" is very cheap and a further £650 for detailed plans is also cheap.

You are not being asked to pay him £1100, he only gets £650 the structural engineer gets the £450.

I would be interested what your other fee quotes were if you think this is expensive? Personally I think you got a bargain, assuming the plans are any good.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 March 2019 at 12:24PM
    As said, you are getting a good deal. The architectural technician should have explained the fees more clearly to you at the beginning. You could take his plans and give them to someone else to do the working drawings if you have paid him for what he has done already, but anybody doing those drawings will charge a lot more that what this "architect" is charging.

Please note if this architectural technician has called himself an Architect when he is not a qualified chartered architect, he has actually committed a criminal offense and you should report him to the Architects Registration Board.
  • osc89er
    osc89er Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You need to talk through/get in writing the stages of work getting you to a completed extension and which bits you are going to do with this person, and approximate prices.

Is he now drawing building regs plans? Including water or services?
    Is he going to put a tender or contract pack together for you to work with builders.
    Are you going to retain his services during the build to oversee the contract?

Which of these are included, and at what price? Fixed fee or hourly, or a percentage of the build?

His fees scale should be lower than that of a full architect as he isn't qualified/chartered to the same level.
  • Londoner_1
    Londoner_1 Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Your first appointment was for drawings for planning submission, this cost about £500+ plus planning fee, which you have paid.

The second set of fees is for technical drawings of the actual build ie type of insulation, materials , size and thickness, etc for building control, if you have steel beams an element of cost will be for structural calcs. This fee is negotiable but its up to your to get quotes from others as well. If you go to a larger practice, they will charge you more.

Just go on gumtree, type architect plans and your postcode and you will see the type pf services n prices offered.
  • Hi sorry for jumping onto this thread but I’m in the same position have been quoted £1100 for an extension which will involve a 4m2 area being knocked down and my kitchen being extended into it instead (Victorian terrace with outbuildings)
    I have no concept of if this is good bad or the norm would anyone be able to advise? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It's certainly not bad. We don't know what you're getting for that, whether it's a registered architect, whether there's VAT involved.

You should start your own thread :)
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • newbridge
    newbridge Posts: 249 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Cashback Cashier
    That is good price, i paid around £2600 (does not include planning, building control, structural engineer fees either!)
    [STRIKE]Deposit: 25000!!/15000[/STRIKE] Homeowner :j
    quidco cashbacks- 1142.81
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family