Letter from PRA telling me debt is unenforceable

Hi

I defaulted on my debts back in 2010 and have been doing a self managed DMP. The debts are no longer showing on my credit file. NatWest have recently sold my loan & overdraft on from Wescot to PRA. Received a letter from PRA telling me that the loan account is “currently classed as unenforceable” but the balance remains payable and they will let me know if the account changes status.

I have no idea why this is or what to do....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,825 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Well, that makes two of us then, as I don’t know either.

Usually it means they have no compliant paperwork, so could not take legal action against you for non payment.

So your options, keep paying or stop paying, up to you my friend.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thanks for your reply sourcrates. Do you think I should send a CCA?

Seems weird that they are volunteering this information... I’m worried that I will end up with a CCJ or the debt appearing back on my credit file...
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    Hi,

The account cannot reappear on your credit files. The account is gone for good.

Likewise, if the debt in unenforceable, then by definition, I don't believe PRA will be able to pursue enforcement with a CCJ.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,825 Ambassador
    You would only get a CCJ if you didn’t respond to the claim.

And a claim could be put to bed rather quickly by asking for your CCA, you could send CCA request now, confirm your suspicions, then it’s your choice.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thank you both. Should I stil make my monthly payments until I have sent & received the CCA information?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Hi

I defaulted on my debts back in 2010 and have been doing a self managed DMP. The debts are no longer showing on my credit file. NatWest have recently sold my loan & overdraft on from Wescot to PRA. Received a letter from PRA telling me that the loan account is “currently classed as unenforceable” but the balance remains payable and they will let me know if the account changes status.

I have no idea why this is or what to do....

Firstly, keep that letter safe.

The loan is now officially of a lower priority than the rest of your (enforceable) debts.

There is no need to do a cca on this loan, and you cannot do them on an overdraft. If you want to do them on the other debts, then you may find some of the others become unenforceable too.

If the 'status changes' then cca the loan at that point. For now, you can stop paying it and redirect payments to the others.

An unenforceable debt is really not a debt from a dfw perspective, particularly when the creditor has admitted it in writing. They would hardly be likely to try a court claim having done that.
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Received a letter from PRA telling me that the loan account is “currently classed as unenforceable” but the balance remains payable and they will let me know if the account changes status.

AFAIK and others will correct me, the Deed of Assignment is the legal starting pistol to collect the debt. This allows them to start to chase the assigned debts using their cut n'paste threats and legal nonsense. The debt becomes enforceable when the original creditor/assignor confirms the existence of the correct paperwork (mostly missing but sometimes not) to the PRA as the assignee. PRA may never actually have the correct paperwork and may go back to the assignor if challenged.

So the letter is a heads up that PRA are now the legal owners and they will be checking the paperwork. So if you do a CCA it may come up blank and you get a false positive. As FB says, until the status changes, no need to pay - but don't expect a get out of jail card either.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    There's also the possibility that it's a template letter and the debt is unenforceable as it's statute barred (you mention you defaulted in 2010).

I wouldn't personally send them a letter as there is no reason to and would just let sleeping dogs lie.
    Know what you don't
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Exodi wrote: »
    There's also the possibility that it's a template letter and the debt is unenforceable as it's statute barred (you mention you defaulted in 2010).
    I wouldn't personally send them a letter as there is no reason to and would just let sleeping dogs lie.

You make a good point, but in terms of 'statute barred' - this debt won't be if the OP has been making payments via a DMP, irrespective of whether it shows up on his credit file or not. The statute barred clock is 'reset' whenever you acknowledge the debt and by making paymetns each month - that's what you are doing.

But I'm with you in relation to the 'let sleeping dogs lie' sentiment - just put that one on hold for now and use the money towards your other (currently) enforceable ones.
  • Exodi wrote: »

Except that the op has continued to make payments
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport