Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Comments

• I would suggest that you contact Easyjet again and remind them of this:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/Air-passenger-compensated-for-weather-delay/
    EasyJet had originally denied compensation to Frederique Jager, 31, after her flight from Gatwick to Nice in 2012 landed three hours and 12 minutes behind schedule, citing bad weather. However, as the weather in both London and Nice was not as described when Miss Jager’s flight took place, she pursued the case. It was later revealed that her flight was delayed due to a knock-on effect caused by bad weather on a different route.

The judge at a county court in Macclesfield ruled that easyJet did not have the right to deny Miss Jager compensation in this instance, and awarded her £210
    "A delay caused directly by bad weather is generally considered outside an airline’s control and therefore airlines do not have to pay compensation," he said. "However, if an earlier delay is affecting later flights – or causing a knock-on effect - airlines may find it harder to demonstrate that they have taken all reasonable measures to avoid disruption. If they are unable to do this, passengers may be entitled to compensation as the airline has been unable to prove the delay was unavoidable."
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    have you put your flight number into EUClaim?
    If the airport was not accepting inbound flight, causing it to divert, then this could be classed as extraordinary. Could Easyjet have done anything to have the delay under 3 hours?...do they have spare planes and crew at Bristol?
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    Could Easyjet have done anything to have the delay under 3 hours?...do they have spare planes and crew at Bristol?

As I read the OP, a replacement plane and crew was used for the flight to Edinburgh. If so, I'm not sure what else EJ could have done to get passengers to their destination quicker.
  • Our flight home was cancelled with just 3 days notice. Italian airport staff are striking on 25 March 19, easyjet was aware of this on 06 March but did not inform us and allowed us to check in.
    I can’t find anything which sets out what is “reasonable notice”. They had 16 days to inform us with the contact details I’ve supplied (mobile and email). I’ve lost a nights holiday. I’m aware that compensation is not due as the strike is outside their control but any views as to whether it’d possible to challenge the timescale for not informing customers and whether it’s even worth perusing a claim for flight cancellation compensation?
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    SWLL wrote: »
    Our flight home was cancelled with just 3 days notice. Italian airport staff are striking on 25 March 19, easyjet was aware of this on 06 March but did not inform us and allowed us to check in.
    I can’t find anything which sets out what is “reasonable notice”. They had 16 days to inform us with the contact details I’ve supplied (mobile and email). I’ve lost a nights holiday. I’m aware that compensation is not due as the strike is outside their control but any views as to whether it’d possible to challenge the timescale for not informing customers and whether it’s even worth perusing a claim for flight cancellation compensation?

Hi,

It's a difficult one! this type of strike is often cancelled at the 11th hour so it's hard for the airlines to do the right thing. A case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The main thing is that you were/are looked after properly under their duty of care to you.

You can talk to them and suggest a better return flight/date if there is one that you would prefer. A day later perhaps, rather than a day early. It's a case of making the best of a bad situation I'm afraid.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Tyzap, many thanks for your response. I’m frustrated that despite having both my email and mobile numbers I don’t think easyjet acted reasonably by only giving 3 days notice rather than advising passengers as soon as they were aware (16 dats earlier). We could not take the risk of getting home the day after the proposed strike and lost a days holiday. This could have been avoided!
    I thought that airlines would take reasonable steps to notify passengers in order for them to take steps to avoid disruption but in this case I think easyjet have failed.
    Thanks again for your thoughts.
  • Joe66
    Joe66 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Hi Quick question.

My 2 daughters had their flights cancelled a few years ago, I tried to claim but was fobbed off by Easyjet that the flight was cancelled due to 'technical issues with the aircraft' and as this was down to extraordinary circumstances I could not claim. I also received a different response from another advisor stating this was due to Air Traffic Control restrictions due to thunderstorms and we appreciate blah blah blah.

Recently I was advised I should not give up so have tried again, this time I have had a number of emails back from them from different people, stating Weather on one & Lightning strike on another.

I responded stating I would give them 14 days to respond and that it is their responsibility to provide me with the required information to prove the circumstances for the delay, otherwise I will pursue this through legal channels. They completely ignored my request for proof of the delay and responded stating weather conditions again and this does not allow me to claim AND the case is now closed and that they will not respond to any further correspondence relating to these cases and I have the right to escalate to CEDR.

I've looked at reviews of CEDR and been on their website and have to say the stats they display on their own website do not look very promising so I am in doubt about using them.

So my question is, has anyone used CEDR and are they good/supportive or should I just raise a small claim in the courts?

Thanks
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Both are viable options. Personally I'd use CEDR first. There is nothing preventing you from going to small claims court should CEDR rule against you. If the reason for the delay was non-extraordinary, they are unlikely to do so.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    CEDR is probably the best option at this stage.
    It requires some effort but alot less than going to court, which is Plan B.
    I believe CEDR have improved their claims handling process but it will take a while.
    The CEDR interface is not the most intuitive...
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Joe66
    Joe66 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Thanks but herein lies the problem. Easyjet have said it was due to extraordinary circumstances in their latest emails, but quite frankly I don't believe them. So not sure if CEDR have actual muscle or not in terms of demanding proof of the cancellation etc Maybe I'll call CEDR to have a chat with them first
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback