Troublesome buyer on Ebay - Accept return??

I sold an XBox One on Ebay for my husband and I've had a world of trouble with the buyer. Firstly she said she hadn't received the item, opened a dispute and said I needed to refund her as the item was "on it's way back to me". I had a tracking number and could see it had been refused by addressee and was back at a postage depot in London. Ebay were satisfied with this, ruled in my favour and closed her dispute. The very next morning however she opened another dispute stating the item was not as described and that she was expecting the XBox One X.

I listed the item as X Box One (500GB) with kinect including headset and controller and included 7 pictures (she says she doesn't know what an XBox One looks like so the pictures were no use to her). However, I have fallen foul of the auto complete thing on ebay because under model is says X Box One X (incidentally I didn't even know such a thing existed so I did not enter that myself)

I rang ebay and they said to sit tight because they can see I listed it clearly. But the more I research this the more it seems once escalated, ebay always rule in favour of the buyer??

Ordinarily I would just accept a return and refund but it feels as though it has just been one thing after another with this buyer with multiple disputes being opened. Does anyone have any experience of this? Should I just accept the return and be done with it?

Comments

• TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,017
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I would wait for eBay to make their decision first. Do the photos show the exact make/model of the Xbox? It might be worth checking if the Xbox one X comes with 500gb. I have made an error in listings that someone questioned fortunately before the sale concluded.

I would be careful that a broken item is not sent back instead of yours, do you have a copy of the serial number?
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,031
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    TripleH wrote: »
    I would wait for eBay to make their decision first. Do the photos show the exact make/model of the Xbox? It might be worth checking if the Xbox one X comes with 500gb. I have made an error in listings that someone questioned fortunately before the sale concluded.

I would be careful that a broken item is not sent back instead of yours, do you have a copy of the serial number?

If OP waits for eBay to make a decision they could lose the lot. It's always a gamble expecting eBay to find for a seller, especially as OP admits this was listed with the wrong item specifics. If eBay decide for the buyer, which I think highly likely, buyer won't have to return item, sellers money will be used to refund buyer and Seller loses their FVFs.

OP Much as I hate to say it, unless ebay will close this in your favour whilst you are on the phone to them I would seriously consider whether the gamble is worth it.

Check the catalogue entry you listed against, is it a mistake by eBay showing your model as being different, or did you choose the model and mistakenly mis list it? if it's their fault phone again and insist they close this in your favour, if it is your fault then accept the return and refund. If the wrong item is returned get straight back on the phone to eBay to appeal.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GC1987
    GC1987 Posts: 51 Forumite
    t might be worth checking if the Xbox one X comes with 500gb.

Yes when I've looked up Xbox One X they all come with 1TB storage as standard so can't be obtained in 500gb.
    Good point! No I don't have it and I am just very suspicious that this now her second dispute and she was trying to claim she hadn't even received it originally.
    Check the catalogue entry you listed against, is it a mistake by eBay showing your model as being different, or did you choose the model and mistakenly mis list it?

Please excuse my ignorance but how do I check this?
  • soolin
    Ambassador
    GC1987 wrote: »

Under the model details in item specifics it states this is the Xbox one X , item specifics are everything and trump your description so I would think you are likely to lose a SNAD claim. That description would have been on a drop down box or the option to enter your own description, an error can occur either because you chose the wrong option in the drop down menu, or , if you used a 'sell similar' from an existing listing forgot to change the model.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GC1987
    OK, thanks for all your help! I'll accept the return.
  • Dasa
    Dasa Posts: 702
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'd have let it come back to me when they refused it.
    That's a sure sign anything from then on would be trouble.
  • GC1987
    I'd have let it come back to me when they refused it.
    That's a sure sign anything from then on would be trouble.
    It wasn't actually coming back to me though as there no return address. But I agree, I had an uneasy feeling since then. Also, we have until 31st March to resolve case ourselves and she is itching to escalate to Ebay, saying as much in every message. It feels like a scam and I'm afraid accepting the return somehow won't be the end of it but hopefully it will be smooth resolution.
  • soolin
    Ambassador
    GC1987 wrote: »
    It wasn't actually coming back to me though as there no return address. But I agree, I had an uneasy feeling since then. Also, we have until 31st March to resolve case ourselves and she is itching to escalate to Ebay, saying as much in every message. It feels like a scam and I'm afraid accepting the return somehow won't be the end of it but hopefully it will be smooth resolution.

Why didn't it have a return address, always always make sure package can get back to you in case of problems.

I know you appear to have won an INR before item was delivered, but that is so rare I've only seen it a couple of times before. If buyer had opened an INR on PayPal before item showed as delivered to his PayPal address you would have lost.
  • GC1987
    I know, I normally do always have return address on but hubby packaged this one up and didn't include it, as you say we could have been badly burned as it is so maybe this is our lucky escape and I'll check listings more carefully if I continue to use eBay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure