Council tax band and bedroom number reduction

Options
Hi,

The house I am about to buy is currently in band D, however the improvement indicator has been placed on it due to double storey extension build 12 years ago.

Current sale, as I understand, may result in property being banded as E.

If we reduce the number of bedrooms from 4 to 3 i.e by converting smallest bedroom into bathroom or walk-in wardrobe, would this prevent increase in value and band change?

Would this alteration have to be done properly, i.e by submitting relevant planning application to council?

Has anyone had any experience in this or heard of such case, and what was the outcome?

thanks in advance

given the current and regular council tax increase I am dreading to think how much would I have to pay in say 15-20 years time
would my pension be enough just to pay for council tax?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Converting a bedroom into bathroom is more likely to increase the value. The VOA will use a dwelling's area rather than the number of bedrooms as the main criteria so you would be wasting your time and money.

This really does not seem to be a sensible purchase if you cannot afford an increase in CT and are buying a 4 bed which you appear not to really need.

Nobody knows whether your pension would be enough to be able to afford the CT in 15/20 years time.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure