Been put off uni because of fees?

We're looking to speak to some people who have in the last few years decided not to go to university because of worries about paying back the fees in later life.
Post below if that's you and we'll get in touch directly.

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Why would anybody worry about paying back fees that you'd only pay if you were earning a lot more than you'd most likely be earning if you'd not gone.

You'll rarely be "worse off" as most people without a degree don't stand a chance of ever earning those higher sums, above which any fees would need to be paid back (in dribs/drabs) ...

I'm sure most people are put off "for other reasons".... not fees related.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why would anybody worry about paying back fees that you'd only pay if you were earning a lot more than you'd most likely be earning if you'd not gone.

You'll rarely be "worse off" as most people without a degree don't stand a chance of ever earning those higher sums, above which any fees would need to be paid back (in dribs/drabs) ...

While this is of course correct I imagine that MSE are trying to gain an understanding why some prospective students are unaware of it and mistakenly think that fees are an issue - perhaps with the aim of starting an(other) financial education campaign.
  • Indeed, just wanting to hear from someone who decided not to go because they were worried about the student loan - and get more understanding for a campaign.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,110
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite

I'm sure most people are put off "for other reasons".... not fees related.
    For a lot it's a psychological barrier. Even my bank manager friend goes on about 'all that debt' (re her student daughter and friends) rather than seeing it as a maths equation.
    MSE_Katie wrote: »
    Indeed, just wanting to hear from someone who decided not to go because they were worried about the student loan - and get more understanding for a campaign.
    Don't know if you're still looking but I think this board is probably the wrong one to ask this question on. It's relatively quiet, and the people on here are mostly either already students or familiar with the system. You might get a better response on another board, my suggestions would be the family board or possible the DFW one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure