Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    If a person moves abroad and does not leave a forwarding address how do the Student Loan Company get in touch with them?

That is how they avoid payment.
  • sheramber wrote: »
    If a person moves abroad and does not leave a forwarding address how do the Student Loan Company get in touch with them?

That seems far too easy...

If they have UK assets can't they be seized?
  • jocrow
    jocrow Posts: 9 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hi there, not sure if you could help me but I have just received a letter from Dryden on behalf of Erudio with a claim to be settled in northampton County court. I have not received any deferment forms from Erudio and only one letter a while ago telling me they were taking over my loan. I asked for deferment forms and did not receive any. I am not sure how to proceed with my response to the claim. I cannot afford to pay back my loan, but I do not want to start paying off a claim as I am 50 in 2 years and my student loan will be discarded then...
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sheramber wrote: »

That seems far too easy...

If they have UK assets can't they be seized?
    When you apply for a student loan, you have to give a name and address of someone through whom you can be contacted. So if any of my sons default, I anticipate hearing direct from whoever's in charge of their loans at the time.

So you're right, it's not that easy.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    When you apply for a student loan, you have to give a name and address of someone through whom you can be contacted. So if any of my sons default, I anticipate hearing direct from whoever's in charge of their loans at the time.

So you're right, it's not that easy.

That's terrible so you're responsible for his debt? :O
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary

Contact not guarantor. Parents are not responsible for their offspring’s loans.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Well, I don't know that I'm responsible, personally I'd make sure that they were aware of any communications, and also make it clear that I was not picking up the debt, and that I would on request pass on THEIR details.

THAT is my responsibility.

As it happens, one of them is itinerant and rarely in the UK, but he does UK tax returns and makes SL payments as part of that.

Another is about to leave the UK and hasn't had to pay anything until now (AFAIK), and again, I will make sure he knows that he needs to pass his details on to the loans company, because if he doesn't, I will! he doesn't have a job (yet) so probably won't have to pay until he does.

And the other recently had to engage with SLC because the last tax year's worth of contributions - which had been deducted from his salary - had not found their way onto his annual statement. He's resolved that now, but if that's not a lesson to check your statements and keep in touch with SLC I'm not sure what is ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Any advice greatly appreciated, my daughter worked as an Health care assistant at a hospital and went to uni 1 day a week and got a foundation degree in nursing. She now has a place on a 3 year paramedic course to begin next September. Is it right that she will only get funding for 2 of the 3 years as we have been told? Many thanks.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Sarah-Lou wrote: »
    Any advice greatly appreciated, my daughter worked as an Health care assistant at a hospital and went to uni 1 day a week and got a foundation degree in nursing. She now has a place on a 3 year paramedic course to begin next September. Is it right that she will only get funding for 2 of the 3 years as we have been told? Many thanks.
    I'm sure someone with a greater understanding than me will come along, but from what I gather (just from spending months lurking in the student room forum) you can have funding for 'length of degree plus a gift year'. In many cases this will amount to 4 years worth of student funding, so what was the length of the foundation degree? Where has the information come from about how much funding you'd get for the paramedic course?
  • Hi Guys,

I don't know how relevant this is here but here goes.

I have a UK student loan, according to that loan you pay back 9% of everything you earn over 18000 GBP.

I went backpacking short term that turned into long term, now i'm abroad and earning over that amount, totally forgot about mt Student Loan and then i got an email about 2.5 years later asking me to update my address, they were claiming they were sending stuff to my old old uni address, i go on the site and see that the address is correct (my mum's address). Then i think that maybe they just baited me into logging on to track my IP address to a foreign country.

I figured that this was just me being paranoid but this morning, about 2 months later, i get an email saying they are still getting my address wrong and that mail keeps bouncing off the address, the wrong address. They also say that my account was accessed from New Zealand, and so i need to fill in an overseas form so they can start charging me. I have 72 hours to respond.

I'm not trying to shirk my obligations, i genuinely forgot, but the main thing is that they seem to charge significantly more when abroad. So normally if i earn 20 thousand pounds, i'd pay 9% of 2 grand. Now i am overseas they are requesting a flat payment of 250 pounds a month which i just don't think i can actually afford considering i am barely over the threshold and it's a very expensive country. I'm asking what my best options are, these are my ideas.

Totally ignore it

use someone in UK or a proxy to log on and update my address and claim in live in the UK

just pay it back and get over it

What's the likelihood they will follow it up if i claim to be in the UK unemployed?

Does anyone have any experience with SLC UK in regards to the above. Everyone i know had no problem with them at all with going abroad for a few years after uni.

I just need until March when i'm leaving this job anyway, any help or similar experience to the above would be greatly appreciated, i don't think i could afford to live here if i'm losing a third of may pay every month.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback