Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2018

Comments

• StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I had around 18k airmiles in my Virgin Flying club, February 2017....
    I signed up for the MBNA Virgin Atlantic Amex/Visa card (white card), and started collecting miles....
    Had my Tesco clubpoints auto convert to miles.
    Paid for everything I could on Amex to get 1 point per £1 , and the visa for all else, made the wife an additional card holder as she spends around £350 - £400pm on Diesel (I spend around £450+ on fuel per month)....

I kept my eyes peeled for how to earn extra points (converting my Hilton points to miles, although low value), I signed up to Virgin ISA, anything Virgin brand that gave miles, etc etc....

By end of Jan this year (11 mths use, I had got around 50k miles in account!) , I was given a voucher for 'free upgrade from Econ to Prem' for spending over £10k on Amex last year....

MBNA / VA were splitting, so I signed up early to the newly created Virgin Atlantic (virgin money) credit card (free one), I got 6000 air miles for that :D

When the final break came between MBNA / VA a few months back, I had already spent £10k on Amex between Jan/June (anything I could use the card for, including work stuff!) , I was given a 2nd voucher for "free upgrade from Econ to Prem" ! :D

I then got the offer from Virgin money to say sign up to there 'paid' credit card which I think cost me £160 per year, and I got 15k airmiles sign up bonus, then 6000 miles for 3 months as long as I spend spend! (so 18k miles over 3 months)....
    I get 1.5 miles per £1 spent, and wifey is a 2nd card holder, and if my boss allows it, I still try and buy whatever I can with the mastercard!

As it stands now ?
    I came back from Vegas end of Sep using my Airmiles (60k miles + £238 tax each) , still not done a trip report yet ! :D:D

As of last week, I booked us next years Vegas trip (LHR-LAX) for 60k miles + £491 tax (free upgrade to Prem , but have to pay Prem taxes!)

I currently have 12k miles left! Safe to say, not bad going !!! :D:D

Would'nt mind checking options for trying to do something similar for Avios ?
  • newuser86
    newuser86 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you plan ahead stuie you can book delta one (business class) Amsterdam to LAX for 50k virgin miles and around £130 tax one way.. or the reverse trip is $6 dollars.

Worth doing if you do a couple of days in Amsterdam and enjoy the drive.. YMMV
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,520 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    StuieUK34 wrote: »

I currently have 12k miles left! Safe to say, not bad going !!! :D:D

Would'nt mind checking options for trying to do something similar for Avios ?

At one point I had nearly 500,000 Avios, but boy did I work for them.
    Mostly Tesco related, bought/sold phones (more than 40 in total), lego, sim cards. Paid deposits for games, cabbages, you name it I bought it. But now the Tesco gravy train has dried up. Now I actually earn most points by flying:eek:
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • mattyha
    mattyha Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Anyone know if Norwegian will be releasing vegas flights from gatwick for next September?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 10 November 2018 at 8:51AM
    mattyha wrote: »
    Anyone know if Norwegian will be releasing vegas flights from gatwick for next September?

did they fly this year in september or is it still to hot for them

edit

they didnt fly between march and november in 2017

there are no flights to las vegas with Norwegian this week from anywhere

I know non of the above answers your question but it doesnt look good
  • Looks like our end of April trip won't be happening... Flights for a multicity aren't good value (and haven't been for a month or two), and hotels seem to be on the high side for the last weekend of April... But can't see any major events or conventions on... :(
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Looks like our end of April trip won't be happening... Flights for a multicity aren't good value (and haven't been for a month or two), and hotels seem to be on the high side for the last weekend of April... But can't see any major events or conventions on... :(

Keep a check on prices you may be surprised one day with a an unexpected sale.

i.e. I was checking yesterday and up to the end of March return prices to Las from Man were under £300 with AA (extra for luggage of course). Not the same as what you are after but goes to show it is worth checking regularly.

Were the hotel prices high in San Fran or LV?
  • stevie11 wrote: »
    Keep a check on prices you may be surprised one day with a an unexpected sale.

i.e. I was checking yesterday and up to the end of March return prices to Las from Man were under £300 with AA (extra for luggage of course). Not the same as what you are after but goes to show it is worth checking regularly.

Were the hotel prices high in San Fran or LV?

Vegas... For example Palazzo jumps from $175 to $374 per night.

Problem is, if we hold off too long in the hope of cheaper flights, we'll miss deals on Plan B destinations :)

Kind of gutted I didn't book a couple of months ago when flights were about £450 :D
    They're now about £650, not including seats/baggage.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Vegas... For example Palazzo jumps from $175 to $374 per night.

Problem is, if we hold off too long in the hope of cheaper flights, we'll miss deals on Plan B destinations :)

Kind of gutted I didn't book a couple of months ago when flights were about £450 :D
    They're now about £650, not including seats/baggage.

I see what you mean it was a good deal a few months ago.

If you are going off the idea of San Fran and LV how about a change of location, there have been some good fares to the far east recently, does that appeal?
  • stevie11 wrote: »
    I see what you mean it was a good deal a few months ago.

If you are going off the idea of San Fran and LV how about a change of location, there have been some good fares to the far east recently, does that appeal?

I know you shouldn't look back at previous prices, but it's hard not to :D

Only going off the idea of SFO/LAS because of price... Might consider other destinations in the States, but then where would compare to Vegas?!

Far east really doesn't float our boat... We'll go as far as Dubai :D
    Hong Kong does appeal though, but not for this trip.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure