Taken to court for student loans while on ESA

2»

Comments

• Lungboy wrote: »
    If you haven't acknowledged the debt then it might be statute barred. You need to work out exactly when you acknowledged the debt, either with Erudio or The SLC.

Also it might be time barred, when exactly in the 90s did you take your final loan?

I think the disability line is unlikely as I'm guessing from the fact you are on ESA you're deemed fit to work, rather than being permanently unfit to work.

Student loans don't become statute barred
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The original mortgage-style ones do.
  • Lungboy
    If they're on ESA, they have been deemed unfit to work. If they were fit for work, they'd be on JSA.

Oh right, I thought DLA/PIP was for people deemed permanently unfit for work and ESA was for people temporarily unfit or those with disabilities that allow work but need assistance.
  • Lungboy
    Ok, then that's the route I'd take. Get a letter from your Dr stating you are permanently unfit for work and send it to Erudio with a letter stating your loan should be written off as per the terms of your loan agreement.
  • Lungboy wrote: »
    Ok, then that's the route I'd take. Get a letter from your Dr stating you are permanently unfit for work and send it to Erudio with a letter stating your loan should be written off as per the terms of your loan agreement.

a court claim has been started , the op needs to acknowledge the claim , ASAP or he will simply be given a default CCJ
  • Lungboy
    edited 10 November 2018 at 12:47PM
    Oh absolutely, but alongside that they should be contacting Erudio to prove they don't owe anything.

Just musing here but it doesn't fit Erudio's usual MO to start a court action themselves rather than farming it out to Dryden or Lowell's or whoever.
  • an article worth reading regarding acknowledging the claim , may be of some help https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvqu3bask5m0zir/money-claim-online-How-to-Acknowledge.pdf?dl=0
  • Thanks for all the replies
    I haven't worked since my degree finished in 1993- so loan taken out in 1990
    I got a letter yesterday dated 2/11 from Drysden stating they are going to make a claim- but claim form already sent out?
    The no prior letters apart from ones this year- but I remember a call I think from 2013 from Student loans saying erudio have taken over...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure