Advice on job incident

Comments

• shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    jonnygee2 wrote: »
    No law has been broken.But no large retail business tolerates this kind of thing. I think you should report it.

If I were you I would write a detailed and entirely factual report of the incident to HR and ask it be kept it confidential. I would also give the names of any colleagues who can verify the incident took place (talk to them first!). Under no circumstances give it labels like 'unprofessional' and instead talk about the reaction from customers and the impact on the stores reputation. Make sure the email is professional, well written and concise.

I can't see this coming back on you because there is absolutely no chance this is tolerable behaviour for a store. Doing this behind closed doors would be tacitly accepted in some companies and frowned upon in others. Doing it in front of customers, that obviously not how people run shops. I used to work in retail, someone who did this would have been fired from any of the places I worked in (there were certainly managers who were absolute ******s in the staffroom but that's completely different).

He's new to the company, odds are he's fired very quickly.

Of course, by reporting it you do expose yourself a little, but that's not always a bad thing. There's always a slim chance that senior management will side with him and turn on you, but I find that incredibly unlikely, and given your new manager is obviously incompetent you have a lot to gain from raising this.

This is a massive load of nonsense and very poor advice from yet another person with a deluded belief that the world is a fair place.

Years back someone in my team went to the big boss with various gripes about me. I was summoned and told in very blunt terms to get this person under control or get rid of them. They had zero interest in this bloke's complaints. They hadn't even really listened. They simply didn't want to be bothered by what they saw as troublemaking.
  • pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just raise it with the manager direct, saying it was overheard on the shopfloor and could cause issues. In future they may be better having those conversations behind closed doors and see if they change.

It could be the call started on something basic and not sensitive and changed quickly catching them out.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    There may be nothing illegal about the behaviour but there is plenty 'wrong' about it. Staff matters should not be discussed in areas where that conversation can be overheard. That is most certainly the case is staff members are being named.
    It may be that the manager thinks it will scare staff into working harder if they think they may be for the chop but it is an appalling way for a manager to behave.
    I do not disagree with your opinion. But "wrong" goes alongside "not fair" in the workplace. If it isn't unlawful, it's irrelevant. It isn't unlawful. And our opinions about how managers should conduct themselves are equally irrelevant. The OP needs to be cautious they don't find out how irrelevant theirs is. Plenty of employers wouldn't give a damn about this manager - but the OP would be heading out of the door if they started putting in complaints.
  • shortcrust
    edited 8 November 2018 at 1:45PM
    pjcox2005 wrote: »
    Just raise it with the manager direct, saying it was overheard on the shopfloor and could cause issues. In future they may be better having those conversations behind closed doors and see if they change.

It could be the call started on something basic and not sensitive and changed quickly catching them out.

Or just hand in your notice. The outcome will be much the same.

In what world do managers who openly talk about getting rid of staff suddenly become contrite and submissive when challenged by more junior employees?!

Edit to add: Another thought is that this might have been deliberate. It's not a very pleasant approach, but it's not unheard of for managers to chuck a bit of fear about the place.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Toorop wrote: »
    Gossiping has started and it's only a matter of time before it's on facebook if it isn't already and I would rather deal with it the correct way.
    Block / unfriend all your colleagues. Say NOTHING on Facebook about where you work, what your manager is like, what your colleagues are doing. Ditto Twitter / any other social media you tend to use.

And check your privacy settings while you're at it. Seriously. Work and Facebook do NOT mix.
    sangie595 wrote: »
    On the other hand, it will outline the process for dismissing you (or whoever posts it on Facebook), which you might find handy to know.
    or whoever comments on such a post on Facebook and then shares it with you. Which is why you check your privacy settings. Because Work and Facebook do NOT mix.
    Don't accept him as a friend on facebook & refuse to join in any discussions on any form of social media....in fact refuse to get in any sort of discussions about it
    And do not friend your peer level colleagues or subordinates on Facebook either. Which is why you check your privacy settings. Because Work and Facebook do NOT mix.

Seriously ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • sangie595 wrote: »
    By all means report it if your personal moral code says you must. But don't be mislead about the likely outcome

Stand by your morals, never mind those who post suggesting move on, you'll be targeted etc., etc.,

Stand up for yourself, if the employer decides to "target" you, recoed the evicence, you may have an ET claim for victimisation.

Victimisation is against the law.

And this from somone who is supposed to represent it's members:
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Most likely, your name will go to the top of the list of people leaving in the immediate future.

Outragous,

Instead of payimg union membershp fees, cancel union membership and use the amount for add on legal protection to one's insurance policy.

Better to get legl advice from those qualified in employment law, rather than from a bunch of cyber wannabees :rotfl::rotfl:
  • shortcrust
    edited 9 November 2018 at 3:59PM
    Stand by your morals, never mind those who post suggesting move on, you'll be targeted etc., etc.,

Stand up for yourself, if the employer decides to "target" you, recoed the evicence, you may have an ET claim for victimisation.

Victimisation is against the law.

And this from somone who is supposed to represent it's members:

Outragous,

Instead of payimg union membershp fees, cancel union membership and use the amount for add on legal protection to one's insurance policy.

Better to get legl advice from those qualified in employment law, rather than from a bunch of cyber wannabees :rotfl::rotfl:

Ridiculous post. Another visitor from a parallel world where fairness rules, high principles are rewarded and no one has ever lost a job without redress for nothing more than getting on the wrong side of a manager.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Ridiculous post. Another visitor from a parallel world where fairness rules, high principles are rewarded and no one has ever lost a job without redress for nothing more than getting on the wrong side of a manager.
    Ignore them. They just enjoy starting an argument by telling people to do stupid things that are likely to get them sacked. Anyone checking their posting history can see that they enjoy trying to get people sacked.
  • shortcrust wrote: »

I find your post more ridiculous :mad:

Fairness rules, for me, yes it does.

Prospects of losing employment for getting on the wrong side of a manager?? !!!!!!!!!!!

We're not in some 3rd world country here, if you want to be a "yes" person and part of the sheep brigade, so be it, that's your choice, it's my decision not to be.

No one is employed t be treated disrespectfully, and for a union rep :rotfl::rotfl: to post in numerous posts "it's not unlawful" is correct, however, victimisation is, strange how that member fails to mention it, I underlined victimisation is as that particular member likes underlining words within their posts, must give the some kind of "authority" :rotfl:

One only has to look at history and individuals who stood up for themselves forcing change, to name just a few

Emily Pankhurst

Martin Luther King

Rosa Parks

Nelson Mandela

So, Run along shortcrust in your own comfort zone, oh, and don't forget to collect the sheep followers behind :rotfl:
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Not that Citizen's Advice is always perfect but taken from here:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/discrimination-at-work/what-are-the-different-types-of-discrimination/victimisation-at-work/

When does the law protect you?

You’re protected against victimisation only if you do one of the following things:

make a claim or complaint of discrimination under the Equality Act

give evidence or information to help someone else who has made a complaint or claim under the Act

do any other thing which is related to the Act

say that someone has done something unlawful under the Act.

The Equality Act calls these things protected acts.

So somewhat different to what the internet warrior is advocating whilst being happy for the OP to be thrown under the bus for.

I wonder what argument they lost years ago that makes them bear such a grudge.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure