O2 customer charged £3,000 roaming fees after being told she was in a different country - MSE News

An O2 customer accidentally racked up over £3,000 in roaming fees, after receiving texts which said her calls and data would be taken out of her UK allowance – here's what you need to know to make sure you don't fall foul of complicated rules...
Read the full story:
'O2 customer charged £3,000 roaming fees after being told she was in a different country'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    But Kosovo isn't an EU country so it's not part of EU roaming. Surely they knew they weren't in Slovenia. I mean, come on. Check their website if you don't know where you can use your phone. Negligence on the customers part, 02 didn't actually do anything wrong bar send a text with the wrong name. Doesn't change that Kosovo still isn't part of EU roaming.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,579 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    aj23 wrote: »
    But Kosovo isn't an EU country so it's not part of EU roaming. Surely they knew they weren't in Slovenia. I mean, come on. Check their website if you don't know where you can use your phone. Negligence on the customers part, 02 didn't actually do anything wrong bar send a text with the wrong name. Doesn't change that Kosovo still isn't part of EU roaming.
    But they did send her a text saying:
    Welcome to SLOVENIA. Calls to the UK and within our Europe Zone are charged at the same rate as your UK tariff.
    You'd be forgiven for believing the network thought you were in Slovenia (which was 500 miles away) and would not be charged roaming rates.
    O2 seemed to accept that and refunded the additional charges anyway.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Osi
    Osi Posts: 1 Newbie
    I'm with Vodafone and did get the same message "welcome to Slovenia" while in Kosovo. Vodafone did not charge me roaming fees and have said that they piggyback onto Slovenia's network for Kosovo. My daughter is with 3 network & she was not charged roaming fees either while in Kosovo. She checked with 3 network and was told the same "we piggy back onto Slovenia's network for Kosovo" Anyway I thought all networks need to be upfront with their roaming charges nowdays.
  • Rahime
    Rahime Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 8 November 2018 at 9:35PM
    The question is not if Kosovo is in EU or not. I did check with O2 and was told they use Slovenia's networks in Kosovo and that the text is correct as their system does not recognize Kosovo.
    I also have family and friends on 3 network who do not get charged for roaming in Kosovo.
    I've been with O2 for 25 years (two contracts) and will leave as soon as this contract ends :). Not just because of the charges but the number of calls to their call center with no one getting back to me . It took O2 UK staff 2 months to contact me.
  • minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    the problem is o2. their roaming systems are useless. left them years ago.
    been with vodafone, three and currently I.D. and had no problems with roaming since.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    victor2 wrote: »
    But they did send her a text saying:
    You'd be forgiven for believing the network thought you were in Slovenia (which was 500 miles away) and would not be charged roaming rates.
    O2 seemed to accept that and refunded the additional charges anyway.

Even thought she was in Kosovo... I mean come on, you know what country you're in.
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just saw this so checked my next EE bill and when in Kos at the end of last month I had been charged £28 for Turkey roaming. Just done an online chat and it will get taken off. Thanks MSE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure