From debt to freedom...

Comments

• I am so angry with your ex (almost as angry as I am with mine).
    Hope you've managed to get everything done that you wanted to today :D
  • Thank you CCL. I have certainly been busy today just trying to get everyone ready for the new week ahead. I'm having some doubts about the tumble dryer. I try not to use it at all, preferring to use the outside line or drying things around the fire. Due to the rain and the necessity of getting school uniforms dry I did put a few items in the tumble dryer. Two hours later and they are not dry, nowhere near. Thankfully I got the absolute essentials dry by the fire this evening so lots of laundry shuffling going on!

I did get out for a walk today:j:j:j. I must confess I took advantage of the toddler having an unexpected nap and leaving DD2 with him and most of his siblings, DD3 and I went for a medium length circular walk. Despite the rain it was beautiful and refreshing. November seems very grey but in the greyness the green of the hardier plants of the hedgerow really stand out. The glossy green of the holly bush and the mid green of the hart's tongue fern seemed almost radiant against the grey backdrop! I returned feeling invigorated and pleased to snatch half an hour with just DD3.

Tea was homemade chicken pie with roast potatoes and veg followed by Magic lemon pudding. I've tried to get ahead by making a sausage casserole for tomorrow. As long as I remember to set the timer on he oven!!

A NSD today, the first for November:j.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 November 2018 at 1:38AM
    I thought I'd get ahead and got the sausage casserole made ( Sun evening), got the cooker set and it didn't quite go according to plan. The ex came in during the day, saw the lights on the oven were on and turned it off, realised his mistake and then turned some dials back on but not enough to make the cooking programme work :mad::mad:. I guess on the positive side, he had the grace to admit it, as I puzzled over how and why the cooker setting had failed. So we had the evening meal after the firework display. The local display was amazing, the best display I've seen in recent years :).

DS2 presented me with a list of ingredients for his cookery lesson tomorrow - thankfully it's a baking type recipe so for once I have all the ingredients in:j.

A NSD today making 2 days in November thus far.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,026 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper

I did get out for a walk today:...Despite the rain it was beautiful and refreshing. November seems very grey but in the greyness the green of the hardier plants of the hedgerow really stand out. The glossy green of the holly bush and the mid green of the hart's tongue fern seemed almost radiant against the grey backdrop!.

What a lovely description! I went out for a walk at dusk today and took a few photos... there's a gap where a footpath at the field edge goes through a hedge and the yellow leaves at either side positively glowed in the fading light. I love the gentle colours of the stripped-back months and some day when my family get my photos to sort through they will wonder why I photographed so much dead grass! :rotfl:
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Winter sunsets are always amazing too! The colours across the sky are often breathtaking. I always think the sunsets are compensation for the cold of winter!!

Today was mentally exhausting. Meetings, including performance management took a fair amount of the day. Thankfully DD2 cooked this evening, so we had stuffed butternut squash which was quite risotto like but lots of Mediterranean vegetables. As a vegetarian dish, it was certainly filling. I am always thankful to eat tea that I haven't had to cook:rotfl:

It has been a low spend day rather than a NSD. Halfway through the performance management meeting I realised it was my aunt-in-law's birthday, so nipped to get her a gift after work. It is a big birthday so was important to remember. DS 1 needed food for his event tomorrow so stocked him up with energy snacks!
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 November 2018 at 10:22PM
    Yesterday I enjoyed a quieter day off. It was just the toddler and I and the toddler ended up having a long nap in the middle of the day, so I had time to sit down, complete the spending tracker app and pay a few bills. Such time for concentration without any distraction is extremely rare ;).

I paid the nursery bill yesterday and £70 off a debt:) before thinking about the menu plan for the coming week. It was then that I remembered Mr T's click and collect and when I went online I found that if I completed an order within half an hour, it was possible to collect when I had to pick up children from school :j. I think I got the food shopping for less than I would have done with children with me (I'm usually accompanied by at least 3!) .Unfortunately DD2 wanted some ingredients to be able to make puddings so I ended up going back to Mr T's with her, this afternoon, to pick up her requests which came to £20:eek:. I think I'll have to suggest cheaper seasonal fruit based puddings next time.

Today DD2 invited me to go for a walk with her and the puppies , which was lovely. We went to a water meadow a few miles away. After the torrential rain of yesterday, the river was really fast flowing. Despite the sogginess, it was lovely to get out and enjoy the fresh air. On our return DS1 then wanted me to go with him to walk his dog. We were able to persuade everyone and went in a walk to the local woods. The path was a carpet of brown, orange and yellow leaves - stunning. The exercise has certainly done me good and as ever, simply being outside is so exhilarating and relaxing.

I got some tasks for work completed this afternoon and have finally got the Christmas cake made. It's been soaking in rum for the last 2 weeks waiting for me to have time to sort it out, but thankfully that job is now done:T at last!
  • I didn't sleep very well last night, simply worrying about future living arrangements. I need to get our house valued, which is a job in itself with the destructive chaos that the puppies leave behind them. I know much will depend on the valuation and then negotiation, if possible, with the ex. If not possible then I guess a court will settle it. I do love where we live at the moment, but don't like the fact that the ex can wander in and out whenever he wants, so buying him out would be best, if I can afford to, which I won't know without a valuation. My friend has just had a new kitchen fitted and commented that an estate agent had said to her that if she'd had her old kitchen and put her house on the market, they would have knocked £20k off the asking price and said in the advertising blurb that the house would need modernisation. It got me thinking about what needs to be done in this house. I have started the painting but every ceiling could do with being painted to freshen up and most rooms. Not sure how to fit that in, both in terms of money or time. On the other hand, as the children get older and become adult I'm wondering if finding somewhere with an annexe would be better. Or whether I can afford anything at all. The downside of living in the county I was born in, is the high number of second homes that pushes prices up. You can see I've been going round in circles for much of the night.

Last night DD3 wanted to make toffee apples. She remembered the fun we had making them for last Bonfire Night, when I couldn't find any in the shops. I had forgotten how relatively simple they are to make, so we had fun making 7 for pudding at some point today.

I have to get one DD to a birthday party this afternoon. I'm hoping the weather will hold so that I can go for a walk while waiting for her. Driving back home is not an option due to the distance.

It's going to be a tight week this week as DD2's insurance is due. I pay it monthly but it's £105 that I've tried to squeeze into the budget, that has little wriggle room. DS 1 can learn to drive in 3 months time, so I've had a chat with both of them, to explain that ( and I felt awful about it) I can't afford to pay 2 lots of insurances so the best I could do was give them £50 each a month towards their insurance and that they would need to earn the rest. DD2 has got a job that would enable her to do that. DS is looking for 1.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,026 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You've got me thinking about Mum's old house - the bathroom and kitchen need replacement but there is still some sorting to do elsewhere and people tell me not to put money into changes that 'new people will just rip out'. I find this emotionally hard (have people got no clue that it causes emotional pain to hear about a house I love being 'ripped out'?) but a house that obviously 'needs doing' won't fetch as much. For me that balance is whether to put a lot into it in the hope that that can be recouped... but it would be a gamble. So I do see where you're coming from!

I assume where you're located doesn't give you an option of going outside the county? It would be too costly to travel to jobs, etc.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,148 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Isn't it annoying when a main grocery shop comes out reasonable and then a top up shop for a particular reason is a hefty percentage of what the weekly bill was!

Wish I had some suggestions for you re the house.

Young drivers are just so expensive nowadays, right from the driving lessons thru to their first car. I'm hoping my DS passes his test before I lose my job at Christmas due to the cost. When I passed my test I had help from parents buying my first cars but they never had to help with running costs like insurance. It's just too dear now for the youngsters without help
  • Thank you Cherryfudge and Spendless.

Going out of county isn't really an option because my job is in the middle of the county, I live at one end and my parents live at the other! Going out of county would necessitate a new job elsewhere and the next couple of counties have the same issue with second homes. Certainly while I have 3 at secondary, I would prefer to keep things as stable as possible and not have to move schools.

It's reassuring to realise that most youngsters need help with the running costs.

Sorry to read about the loss of job at Christmas, Spendless.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family