Cheap airport lounge access

Options

Comments

• gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    mo.m wrote: »
    Firstly we had never been told that there was an app. Even when my husband was on the phone to Barclays and Dragon Pass neither suggested that he could use the app to solve the problem (and would have saved the long phone call!). Secondly, it does matter when the card renews, without saying on the card what the renewal date is, as you end up paying for extra visits, but lose the ones you are entitled to ! We will probably lose the 2018/19 visits, which is not good value in our opinion.

But if you joined Barclaycard in August a few years ago you wouldn't expect your first years lounge access to expire after 5 months
    We alternate the amex cards for lounge access and you get 2 free lounge visits per 12 months...... starting on whatever date you join
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mo.m wrote: »
    Firstly we had never been told that there was an app. Even when my husband was on the phone to Barclays and Dragon Pass neither suggested that he could use the app to solve the problem (and would have saved the long phone call!). Secondly, it does matter when the card renews, without saying on the card what the renewal date is, as you end up paying for extra visits, but lose the ones you are entitled to ! We will probably lose the 2018/19 visits, which is not good value in our opinion.

Did you read the Terms and Conditions relevant to airport lounge access? They refer to the app several times...

2ih1h7o.jpg
  • JadieH
    JadieH Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I never knew about the dragonpass with Barclays. I currently have the Travel pack on my account but not the travel plus, anyone have any idea how quickly I'd get the pass? I could contact Barclays asap to change my pack but I fly in just over two weeks?

• Bobby_Wader
    Options
    I have recently booked my airport parking with BookFHR and I noticed that you could book airport lounges through them too. I always thought lounges were for individual airlines or through banks (never considered that anyone can book one). When I looked into it, there are quite reasonable deals around, especially if you like to have a drink and a snack at the airport. Working it out, the lounges seems to be good value if you are flying around lunchtime or in the afternoon/evening. Not sure you get much value if you are flying in the morning (unless you like alcohol at the crack of dawn!).

We loved the look of the new clubrooms from no1 at Gatwick, so decided to treat ourselves for our holiday in October :-) I managed to get an extra 10% off the online price at https://www.bookfhr.com/airport-lounges/gatwick-airport-lounges/ by signing up to FHR's email. Fingers crossed the lounge experience will make our holiday extra special!
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JadieH wrote: »
    I never knew about the dragonpass with Barclays. I currently have the Travel pack on my account but not the travel plus, anyone have any idea how quickly I'd get the pass? I could contact Barclays asap to change my pack but I fly in just over two weeks?

It is pretty much instant. There is no paperwork. You just need to download an app and register by phone.

Not sure what you do if you don't have a smartphone or tablet though.
  • pingu
    pingu Posts: 1,467 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i quite like lounges at Manchester airport aspire are better than escape
    if i book with my bank RBS get it free otherwise under£20 well worth
    RBS limiting 2visits per year soon
    Honesty is the best policy doesn't matter which web site
    you are on!

if i had known then what i know now!

a bargain is only a bargain if you really need it!
  • pingu
    pingu Posts: 1,467 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    I really wouldn't bother at Manchester.
    why not whats wrong with them
    Honesty is the best policy doesn't matter which web site
    you are on!

if i had known then what i know now!

a bargain is only a bargain if you really need it!
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pingu wrote: »
    i quite like lounges at Manchester airport aspire are better than escape
    if i book with my bank RBS get it free otherwise under£20 well worth
    RBS limiting 2visits per year soon

Do you get them free with RBS or do you have to pay a monthly fee with your bank to get that ?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    pingu wrote: »
    why not whats wrong with them

They are not really lounges like the posh ones at major airports. The last time I used them we went into one, it was full so the nice lady took us down a corridor to another, that was full so we went further & eventually found one that had two seats available. It was so crowded & noisy that we didn't stay long.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • bradders1983
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    They are not really lounges like the posh ones at major airports. The last time I used them we went into one, it was full so the nice lady took us down a corridor to another, that was full so we went further & eventually found one that had two seats available. It was so crowded & noisy that we didn't stay long.
    Not my experience of the Manchester ones, last time I was there (early morning on an August weekday) it was dead. You must have got unlucky.

A week on Saturday I shall be using the one at Doncaster/Sheffield Airport, shall report back.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback