Official MSE Free Solar Panel guide discussion

Comments

• My other half was approached by "Solar Panel Funding" today, has anyone heard of them I'm deeply suspicious of them as they seem to be one of those "free install" companies that do finance agreements?
  • Hi,

We already have solar panels, and my son has just bought a house with 3.1kw of panels installed in 2011. The FIT and electricity are both EDF. Re-registering has not been simple - photo IDs required and information about the installer and house insulation certificate - which they should have. The paperwork says that he must have EDF as an electricity supplier to continue with the FIT unless his supplier doesn't do FITs. How many energy club users have switched to one of the FIT suppliers from a FIT supplier and been told to take away or re- register the FIT with their new supplier - a messy process at best? I can find no information? it is clearly not a problem using smaller suppliers. The companies get the FIT money from the government - so its not as if they are out of pocket.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    eastcott5 wrote: »
    ... The companies get the FIT money from the government - so its not as if they are out of pocket.
    ... 'the government' itself effectively has absolutely no money ... never has done, never will do ... if there's no debt then what's there is 'public', therefore ours - but don't get too excited at the thought of a windfall as your proportion of the debt is currently huge .... :D

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Hi all,
    Apologies if this is a silly question .

We are currently renting a property with solar panels (first time for us) and wanted to figure out how we go about getting use out of them.
    When we moved in, we didnt really know what to do and just set up a standard tariff. Are the panels working for us now ? or do i need to do something else.
    I did ask the landlord who didnt really have a clue.

Thanks
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Steviebh wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Apologies if this is a silly question .

We are currently renting a property with solar panels (first time for us) and wanted to figure out how we go about getting use out of them.
    When we moved in, we didnt really know what to do and just set up a standard tariff. Are the panels working for us now ? or do i need to do something else.
    I did ask the landlord who didnt really have a clue.

Thanks

Hiya. Basically, the PV generates and this leccy goes through the house via the consumer unit. If you are generating more than you are using, then the excess goes out to the local grid. If you are generating less than you are consuming, then the difference is imported.

The trick therefore is to try to use leccy items when you are generating more. For a south facing system it will peak around noon, or 1pm after the clocks change. So generation will rise before, then drop off afterwards.

However, consider the weather, if you need to put the dishwasher on, and its going to rain from 11am to 1pm, then avoid that time. As the days lengthen, so will the generation period.

The house will always use generation first, so try as best you can to match demand to generation.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Hi,
    local solar scheme are pushing their services hard in Devon. Has anyone heard of this company?
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • Hi Can you update the guide there is new free solar scheme that EDF are doing is it worth it??
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Paesy wrote: »
    Hi Can you update the guide there is new free solar scheme that EDF are doing is it worth it??

Is this the one you mean https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/aug/12/edf-free-solar-panels-buy-power-generated-20-years ?

Initially it looks like it is was only available to 100 homes and that was in August!
  • Hi this is the first post I have made but here goes.
    I had A shade Greener solar panels fitted on my roof in 2015. I agree great service when installed and regular feed for energy production. However I have a pigeon pest control problem, they roost and have bred under the safety of my panels. I have contacted a number of pest control companies in my local area who state this is an increasing issue. I also contacted A shade greener for support. Quotes are coming in at around £800 to evict and pigeon proof my roof .... I requested advice from A Shade Greener they just replied with a quote of £450 plus scaffolding to rectify.
    I am now faced with this astronomical charge without actually benefitting from £800 return on my bills, as a full time worker I felt my carbon footprint was important and anything I gained was a bonus.
    When advising anyone regarding solar panels please advise pigeon proofing is a necessity and needs to be considered and agreed before installation.
    I am an unhappy pigeon breeding and hotel at present saving hard to resolve the issue before the spring so my family can enjoy a pigeon poop free summer
    regards
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure