Pre-existing Travel Insurance Guide Discussion

Comments

• My partner has Parkinson's and we are going on a Hebridean Island Hopper coaching holiday. Any ideas on which insurance company I should be looking at?
  • wondermouse
    wondermouse Posts: 75
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm a 51 year old man with type 2 diabetes, tablets for blood pressue and cholesterol.

Just tried a single trip european family policy with Staysure and it came to £53.78.

Only annoying thing that Staysure's site does is that I couldn't see anywhere for it to email or save the quote, it just goes straight on to the payment page!

Using that as a starting point, is it likely that I'll see much better than that if I do the usual multiple comparison sites etc?
  • I am going to Singapore with my daughter. I have an under active thyroid. I don't even know where to start with travel insurance.
    OMG Do I need a life laundry! :j
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,775
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I am going to Singapore with my daughter. I have an under active thyroid. I don't even know where to start with travel insurance.

I don't think you will have a problem. I have the same but insurers haven't charged me any extra for that. I am with Insure and Go.
  • lurkylurky
    lurkylurky Posts: 442
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've just taken out a single trip (20 days in Europe) policy for my Father with Staysure for £20.

He's 80 and had prostate cancer treated successfully with radiotherapy over 10 years ago and bowel cancer which was surgically removed 3 years ago. He is also taking statins as recommended by his GP as a preventative measure. I phoned Staysure and was told to declare Cholesterol as a medical condition which seemed unfair but actually it didn't increase the premium.

I went through Topcashback and now have £35.35 showing in my account.
  • hjd
    hjd Posts: 1,214
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have various medical conditions but am currently also waiting for treatment. That causes problems with insurers. I have got insurance through AllClear. They check all insurers and give you a choice.
    It wasn't cheap but at least I am covered.
  • I have an annual policy that covers me for pre-existing medical conditions. It expires at the end of September. I have a holiday booked in October. The MSE advice is to take out travel insurance asap but, unless I take out a single trip policy, I cannot do this can I ? Also, if something happens between now and September and I have to cancel am I covered or not , as the holiday is not until October.
  • katejo wrote: »
    I don't think you will have a problem. I have the same but insurers haven't charged me any extra for that. I am with Insure and Go.

Thank you. That puts my mind at rest.
    OMG Do I need a life laundry! :j
  • Thanks for the reply. Not sure it really answers the question though.
  • My experience of travel insurers in recent years is that the majority are a load of shafting b******s. They dont want to fairly spread or take risks, which is a fundamental part of their business, but they do want to take heavily loaded, in fact ludicrous premiums off the people who need insurance the most. We all contribute to National Insurance and dont pay more because we are sick or have to take medication. Why then can travel insurers not adopt a similar approach? Why? Read my first sentence again. It boils down to the fact that they would rather not have to insure people who might, just might need to put in a claim. You can expect some variance in premiums but they have become completely disproportionate. Its not just old fogeys (yes, I'm one too) who diligently take their blood pressure pills and statins who might, ever so remotely claim but the younger, healthier generation who can easily fall over and break a leg while paralytic. Travel insurers are prejudiced against older travelers and even more so if you are one of the millions who are now prescribed statins and blood pressure medication purely as a PRECAUTION by your GP. Its all wrong and I'm glad it is now being debated by more people.:mad:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback