The Mortgage Free in Three - Take 4 challenge (MFiT-T4)

Comments

• tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I've updated but if I manage to pay any more off I will fill in another update form.
    I'm going to be in the yellow, but...
    I'm sub 50k :j :j :j
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not sure what my number is - I started in July last year, so I've probably already messed up. I'm hoping to save enough to pay the mortgage off completely.

Currently at £103,000 of £168k goal due to the sale of a flat and other realised assets/wages/etc.
    Tim
  • trix-a-belle
    trix-a-belle Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    tim_n wrote: »
    Not sure what my number is - I started in July last year, so I've probably already messed up. I'm hoping to save enough to pay the mortgage off completely.

Currently at £103,000 of £168k goal due to the sale of a flat and other realised assets/wages/etc.

Tim

You've won't have one yet as you've only just joined us on this challenge today, I've got your form so will plug in your figures to the first post and issue you a challenger number when I have a free evening this week

Just noticed how far you already are through your target, do you want to stretch it as this challenge still has 2.5 years to run?

Trix
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd also busted
    - Student Loan gone
    Swagbucks, Mingle, GiffGaff, Prolific, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 July 2016 at 2:29PM
    Tim

You've won't have one yet as you've only just joined us on this challenge today, I've got your form so will plug in your figures to the first post and issue you a challenger number when I have a free evening this week

Just noticed how far you already are through your target, do you want to stretch it as this challenge still has 2.5 years to run?

Trix

Thanks Trix - I'd still like in - I'm hoping to only need a year, but we're also thinking of extending it by another £150,000 to pay to knock our house down and build a new one which would fit in with the goal.

NB, I only get to draw down from my business every 6 months (I could go quarterly, this seems to work better though as I can make a better investment decision)
    Tim
  • Hi trix a belle

Form submitted. Please to be in the £202ks - hopefully that keeps us well on track for this challenge and our aim to be under £200k in November

Thanks for keeping us right on the challenge

MIB x
    MFW2020 #5 £2,000/2,000 MFW2021 #5 £1,850/3,500MFW2022 #5 £3.001/3,000Sep'12 £233,750 Jan'15 £222,329 Dec’21 £139,584 MFiT T4 #24 £48k/£34k MFiT T5 #24 £22,186/£41k MFiT T6 #24 £4,700/£29k
  • mrsp1987
    mrsp1987 Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Wedding Day Wonder Cashback Cashier
    Made my £500 overpayment! Now I can update and submit my form!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Annaharky wrote: »
    Not having the best month. First my car broke down followed by the washing machine and finally the boiler. Aaaaargh! Good job we still have 2 and a half years!

Sounds like our household:

TV stopped receiving Free Sat
    Dishwasher - broken and filling randomly with water
    Stop valves behind it are now leaking
    Tubledrier - door handle broken
    Car 1 - Sat-Nav upgrade failed - attempt 2 tomorrow
    Car 2 - Air Con broken (either £10 Relay or £1000 Compressor)
    Car 2 - 2 new front tyres
    Car 2 Puncture, rear tyre
    DH's Bike - Big Service and review after "laying it down" on a bend (£450)
    DH's Bike - MOT & 2 tyres
    Just paid deposit for replacement windows
    Son's house (our rental) - Boiler fault
    Son's house - replacement bath and shower waiting fitting in spare room
    Son's house DG deposit taken

I tell you, the emergency fund looks pretty depleted at the moment.

It's all timing though, as you say. We just happened to commit to spend just as all white goods seem to be EOL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • FreedomGirl
    FreedomGirl Posts: 155 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi everyone,

I can relate to house stuff not working !

Husband's hifi has packed up, aircon has failed in the car (again), paint is peeling off the conservatory (actually, it's probably fair to say it's likely to need )

Now, which do you think my OH wants to prioritise fixing ?

I'm trying to decide what to do with my 4.5 k savings (past few months). Guess I should probably fill up the cash ISA first ? I don't think I have much headway in terms of higher rate tax contributions to put towards my SIPP (got made redundant last year and had to take a big pay cut to get a new job).

If I only get basic tax rebate, should I ISA instead of SIPP ? What are people doing in that situation.

FG
    MFiT-T4 Number 68
    MFiT 4 Goal - Build up savings (SIPP, ISA etc.) to £250k . Current balance £174748 (1/8/16).
    Crazy goal - £500k by Jan 2026.

• SuperSecretSquirrel
    SuperSecretSquirrel Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 21 July 2016 at 10:43AM
    Hi FG

I'm a basic rate tax payer, only have an employer pension, no SIPP, but am contributing well beyond the employer match level. I guess that's comparable to just hitting the max employer match and investing the excess separately in a SIPP?

Everything paid into an ISA is already net of income tax, with the benefit of income from it being untaxed (unless the rules change in future). The pension is tax deferred, and if you are BR tax now and BR tax in retirement, it seems like a zero sum game (though if income lower in retirement, thanks to tax free allowance it usually isn't the case assuming you draw down over more years than you paid in, plus there's the 25% tfls to consider). Then again, ISAs are so much more flexible, especially if you are considering early retirement. Pros and cons to both.

At the moment I favour the pension, but can imagine in a few years time I will reduce what I pay into the pension and boost my ISA. Not for efficiency, rather to allow for the possibility of early retirement. There's also the fact that I don't like my money being held hostage, and there are no guarantees that the age at which pensions can be accessed won't go up in future. I think it's quite a personal decision, no "right" or "wrong" approach as it all depends on your plans for the future, how much premium for liquidity you're willing to pay, and how well you trust yourself to save not spend.

There's an excellent article weighing up ISAs and pensions on monevator. Well worth a read :)

Edit: Here's the article http://monevator.com/pensions-versus-isas/ - the first comment by ermine adds something that I missed - even at basic rate, salary sacrificing to a pension reduces the NI you have to pay. I don't think this applies to SIPPs, but my knowledge is extremely limited on this whole area so could well be wrong!
  • #47 - Here's my second update :)

Mortgage: -£29,159.61 (Quarterly improvement of £2,086.78)
    Tax: -£307.08 (Quarterly improvement of £309.45)
    Cash: £44,441.68 (Quarterly improvement of £1,372.25)
    S&S: £10,068.80 (Quarterly improvement of £1,818.22)
    MN+: £25,043.79 (Quarterly improvement of £5,586.70)

Excellent progress this quarter, though most of the credit goes to the somewhat illusory increase in S&S value, mostly thanks to the devaluation of sterling - not necessarily something to celebrate too wildly... Still, we are ahead of schedule so far, so it's hard not to be happy about that :) I'm glad to be making decent progress early on in the challenge as am expecting things to slow down a little later on.

Good luck to you all! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport