Wash your uniform at home ?

Comments

• crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    I work in a hospital - they wash the nurses' uniforms on site but I work in catering and we have to wash ours at home...and I only work there during holidays...could I claim..?
    (At the moment I don't go over my tax code anyway, but it's useful to know)
  • Dalkirst
    Dalkirst Posts: 9,210
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi could anyone help me?
    My partenr works as a care asssitant in a care home so wears a uniform.Though they of course have laundry there to wash the clients clothes and bedding etc the staff have never had their uniform washed or been offered to either so could we claim this also?

Thanks
    Darren
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    Folks just write a letter to the tax office they will let you know if you claim is valid its the easiest way :)
  • sovereign
    sovereign Posts: 76 Forumite
    Does this also apply to people who wear a Suit to work? I have to get mine regularly dry cleaned and do end up spending a fair bit of money every month?
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    It has to be provided by the copany with a logo i beleive
  • slider_2
    slider_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    My daughter is a nurse and the hospital has laundry facilities however as she suffers from a very mild form of eczema in order to be on the safe side she brings her uniform home to be washed ( by her mam). Any ideas on whether she might be able to claim?
    £2 coins saved so far 0. really hope I get 1 tomorrow
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    sovereign wrote:
    Does this also apply to people who wear a Suit to work? I have to get mine regularly dry cleaned and do end up spending a fair bit of money every month?

no it sounds like you cant claim, unless do your work provide the suit as your uniform? has it got a company logo on it? could you feasably wear it out of work hours?

the rules state that is has to be a uniform provided by work that you could not wear any other time only to work. hope that helps.
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    slider wrote:
    My daughter is a nurse and the hospital has laundry facilities however as she suffers from a very mild form of eczema in order to be on the safe side she brings her uniform home to be washed ( by her mam). Any ideas on whether she might be able to claim?

i would say probably not as work do provide facilities for them to be washed, even though your daughter has eczema in the eyes of the tax man they will see that as her personal choice of not having washed at work. sorry i couldnt be more positive, but it might be worth giving them a ring to find out all they can do is say no.

HTH :)
  • DorsetDave2
    DorsetDave2 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Apart from getting a tax allowance for washing my logo'd clothes at home the IR have also included an allowance for the cost of footwear as I am obliged to buy steel toe cap shoes for my work.
  • diplod
    diplod Posts: 9 Forumite
    I know its probably a long shot, and wishful thinking, but if secondary school uniform is compulsory does the same tax allowance apply?

Well they do say that if you don't ask, you don't get!

Thanks

Alan
    Val :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family