Motivating a teen to do homework

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    bylromarha wrote: »
    Homework issued by school is around 2 hours minimum a night, using their timings. We gave him a 15 minute buffer per homework, so he needs 3 hours to complete as school timings are not generous imo...300 words written & research the subject in 30mins. Homework club is only open for 2 hours after school and isn't supervised well, so he could easily spend his whole time watching Youtube videos.

Downloading youtube videos isn't too practical. Tonight he's been issued a 45min video to watch, then write about his learning from it. It's due in tomorrow. The turn around is too tight after we get in from work. And I'm not even sure it's legal to download youtube videos.
    2 hours every night minimum homework? :eek: That's far more than mine ever have/had (aged 15 and 18 attend/ed an Outstanding secondary, more than obsessed with their results!) Is this usual? No wonder the poor lad doesn't want to do his homework! I wouldn't want to either, he's already spent what 5 hours-ish in lessons then gets another 2 hours on top between getting in and going to bed.

The turn around isn't good either, issuing on day 1 to be in the following day. If this is happening frequently then I think it should be fetched up with the school.

What's the reason for so much homework? I have read that a lot of homework given to pupils is down to the teacher not completing the work in classtime. Whether this is down to teacher not being allocated enough time to complete a subject, having to deal with other issues too, or I've read a load of nonsense I dont know.

I certainly would ask more about how well homework club is supervised. I'd be surprised if they can just look at youtube videos on the school computers. My own son discovered to his cost that the school used a keyboard logger. He didn't make that mistake twice!
  • jimbo747
    jimbo747 Posts: 630 Forumite
    Spendless wrote: »
    I smiled as I read this, because my now 18yo son has the same attitude. By the time of GCSEs he only wanted 'enough' to get him on to the next stage. Beyond that he thought a waste of time, despite his capabilities.

What makes him do his homework now (usually at the last minute, but completed) is he's at an FE college doing a level 3 computing course and he needed the grades to get onto year 2, though that was touch and go in the last week! And now he wants to be able to go to Uni.

I'm actually encouraged by your last line of 'might be suited to a career in programming' for my own DS. :D

Programmers need to achieve what is required in the design spec with as little code as possible. All about efficiency, why write something in 50 lines of code that can be done in 10, or why spend hours coming up with an elaborate fix when a "good enough" 10 minute approach is just as valid if it achieves the required outcome. Can then spend the rest of the time doing what you want.
  • mattpaint
    mattpaint Posts: 294 Forumite
    You're going to have to start putting your child ahead of your own needs. Sit next to him for two hours and make sure he does his homework. If he doesn't then he loses everything until he's willing to try again.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Primary school didn!!!8217;t make him (we didn!!!8217;t help him...)

We don!!!8217;t have time to sit with him as we have our own work to do (we don!!!8217;t want to sit down and help him)

I mean I don!!!8217;t want to sound too crazy but maybe you need to start helping him...
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    OP, I think your are a teacher. I sat at one end if the table doing my marking, while son sat at the other doing homework.

Would that work for you?
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,962 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm going to take the contrary view from just about everyone here. He's not seven, he's a teenager, by now he needs to be capable of doing stuff without his parents standing over him telling him all the time, so step back and leave him to get on with it on his own terms as ultimately it is his education. You've led him to water multiple times, you can't force him to drink and nor can the school.

And yes, from the start of secondary school I did my homework completely and on time without my parents needing to nag or watch me. I had a computer (ZX81, Spectrum or BBC B depending on which year) in my room and I did not have it on while I was working. I might play games or do programming before or after my homework, but I always got the homework done, and I am about the most disorganised and least motivated person in the history of the world.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 May 2018 at 12:05PM
    bylromarha wrote: »
    We ban him from doing homework at the weekends.

Which is why we are where we are. I hate the fact there are no consequences that have an effect.

It sounds like it is not only your son who needs a kick up the arris

There are consequences, it is just that he hasn't reached them yet. When he fails exams, and has to resit, when he doesn't get into college / uni / get a job - and you have to financially support him longer - there will be consequences for you all, for his lazyness and for your lazy parenting (He is currently left to his own devices is not working out for you is it).

Why the hell are you banning homework at weekends? Not only are you teaching him he is entitled to two days break (for not bothering to do anything all week) but then is piling on the pressure to do so many hours homework mon to friday. He hasn't actually earned a break at all, if he isn't putting effort in-- that is not how life works and you are banning him from doing homework on the best time of the week - hell yes he should have his head in the homework on a weekend.

Get some childlocks on the internet and ban all the sites that you know he dosses around on. Stick to it. He will moan and scream, but stick to it - at the minute you are letting him be the boss of this situation because the outcome of that is a quiet life for you in the meantime. You leave him to it so he learns that he only needs to moan and gets left alone. It is called 'tough love' and standing back watching him make such mistakes, so you can have a quiet life, is not parenting. You arent there to be their friend, their mate, your job is to parent and foresee how to give them the wings to fly

This whole situation is akin to not bothering to toilet train a toddler, you are going to end up wiping their butt for far longer if you do not put the work in at the front end.

The younger generation have a lot of different problems than your own generation did OP, and he will already have a lot of difficulties against him, struggling to get housed, jobs etc, without having an ingrained lazy self entitled attitude and no qualifications - Sorry but you are breeding a snowflake and you need to stop and start parenting, show him YOU are the parent, you are the boss, NOT him.

Sorry but someone had to say it. I remember posting a very similar situation to you OP years back, and someone said similar to me and it really made me think. Initially I thought they were just having a pop but I realised I was being told home truths, and its not really my style to have a pop at pple on these boards.

I know you hate me, but seriously have a think about what I have said and envisage your son in ten years time, if he continues down this path
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why are you banning him from homework at the weekends? Evenings and boring Sunday afternoons are the perfect time to DO homework instead of being at school for 8 hours then cramming in 3 more hours work. Surely its just piling up over the weekend and putting more pressure on the after school hours?
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    If your on talk talk you can ban whole websites. I'd ban the ones he goes on full stop until he's pulled his socks up then put parental timer on so he has to do homework as I'm sure it can ban all gaming
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 May 2018 at 3:51PM
    Homework levels are ridiculous nowadays and i cant blame the kid for not being motivated. I am totally with OP, banning homework at weekends is perfectly reasonable, kids need time to be kids ..... On the flip side at his age if he doesn't do the homework there will be consequences at school, so let him decide if the consequences are worth it ... If they aren't, he will start doing it off his own back .... Personally, i wouldnt worry about it, life is too short!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure