Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Littlebean
    The Knitters Thread
    • 1st Oct 07, 4:55 AM
    The Knitters Thread 1st Oct 07 at 4:55 AM
    Following on from the recent thread about handknitting it is apparent that many of us OS'ers are also keen knitters. The idea of this thread is to give us a place to post comments/suggestions, to be able to chat about our current work in progress (WIP), share patterns/tips/tricks, and post pictures of our completed work (I'm nosy and love seeing piccies ).

I'll get the ball rolling: I've now finished knitting the sweater that sparked the original post. Now I've remembered just how much I disliked making up the finished garment -definately the worst part of knitting. I've managed to pick up and knit around the neck and I've done the collar, but now I have to work out how to set in the sleeves - hmmmmmm. Any suggestions/tips would be gratefully received. I've never knitted a sweater with shaped armholes before - having stuck to straight seams - but having splurged on the yarn I really want the finished product to look nice.
Page 473
    • 2childmum2
    • By 2childmum2 6th May 19, 1:07 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    2childmum2
    I have finished the yellow jumper! the second sleeve wasn't such a problem as I had worked out all the issues with the first one - but I forgot to double rib the cuff. I will just have to keep my arms away from each other so noone notices! I also struggled a bit with fitting the raglan sleeves, but got there in the end.
    I'm currently knitting some hats for charity and having a go at a corner to corner crochet blanket - so far I have worked out how to increase, but not decrease - I shall leave that until I get to that point
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 6th May 19, 3:01 PM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 7,426 Thanks
    mary hinge
    I'm working on a few projects currently although the crochet baby blankets seem to take up any time hitchhiker may allow me

P1, mustard aran cable cardi
    P2, burgundy aran cardi - similar to a waterfall type
    P3, wristwarmers - finished on 2 years ago now to finish the partner its all colour work and fair isle..... thank goodness I made semi understandable notes

I plan to knit some mittens and a bobble hat for hitchhiker for winter too...Ö

P1 currently has the back, both fronts complete and I'm knitting the sleeves 2 at a time, almost to the raglan shaping. it has a rather extensive rolled collar to do too once sewn up!
    Living in a superhero induced haze
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 6th May 19, 3:02 PM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 7,426 Thanks
    mary hinge
    I have finished the yellow jumper! the second sleeve wasn't such a problem as I had worked out all the issues with the first one - but I forgot to double rib the cuff. I will just have to keep my arms away from each other so noone notices! I also struggled a bit with fitting the raglan sleeves, but got there in the end.
    I'm currently knitting some hats for charity and having a go at a corner to corner crochet blanket - so far I have worked out how to increase, but not decrease - I shall leave that until I get to that point
    Originally posted by 2childmum2
    Can you unpick the cast on end and pull back the ribbing? then knit it back down?
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 6th May 19, 9:55 PM
    • 39,918 Posts
    • 37,181 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Can you unpick the cast on end and pull back the ribbing? then knit it back down?
    Originally posted by mary hinge
    I am sure my mum used to sometimes knit sleeves from the top down, so that she could adjust for length more easily, but it would work for this as well.

However when I mentioned this to my sisters, they looked at me blankly ... and I haven't yet had the confidence to do it, although I'm sure I could!

Hey ho, off to lay the flipping cardigan out on the bed.

How do you all label your parts, if you bother? I am going to struggle to know which is the right way out on my sleeves, so wish I'd labelled them right and left. I suppose if I can't see the difference, it won't matter which one is which, but one day I might suddenly realise they are the wrong way round, and I will never be able to forget it ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 6th May 19, 10:06 PM
    • 4,663 Posts
    • 11,856 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Hi Fellow Knitters
    I have just discovered this thread and spent the last few hours catching up. I am a returner to knitting after many years and I am currently knitting squares for a paw print blanket for dog rescue. I have two square to go and then I just have to sew up.
    Brought 2 £1 balls from Wilko to start the next blanket. My aim is to complete ten before sending them to the charity.
    Martha x
    Originally posted by Thrifty Martha
    Can I suggest Aldi wool ?

The dk wool, in my opinion, seems thinner than normal dk wool but whereas the Aran weight seems on par what I'd expect dk to feel like.

The Aran wool is 4.99 for 400g and they also do a lovely varigrated wool which is 3.99 for 200g
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 7th May 19, 9:01 AM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 7,426 Thanks
    mary hinge
    I am sure my mum used to sometimes knit sleeves from the top down, so that she could adjust for length more easily, but it would work for this as well.

However when I mentioned this to my sisters, they looked at me blankly ... and I haven't yet had the confidence to do it, although I'm sure I could!

Hey ho, off to lay the flipping cardigan out on the bed.

How do you all label your parts, if you bother? I am going to struggle to know which is the right way out on my sleeves, so wish I'd labelled them right and left. I suppose if I can't see the difference, it won't matter which one is which, but one day I might suddenly realise they are the wrong way round, and I will never be able to forget it ...
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    My grandma used to do that to add extra length too! or using a contrasting colour pick up and work another rib to the waist band and sleeves to make it fit a bit longer!
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 7th May 19, 4:47 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 8,933 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Originally posted by 2childmum2
    Originally posted by mary hinge
    While you can do this, it’s a right pain in the posterior. Cast on edges don’t rip back like active stitches/cast off edges do. Instead, you have to feed the tail of yarn through every stitch, under and over every part of the stitch above. (Cast on edges don’t unravel.)

Instead, I’d recommend cutting off the cuff, picking up stitches and knitting down. This video on YouTube shows how but, basically, you thread your finest circular needle through the row above the cuff, then find a stitch below and cut that, unravelling from there downwards. Slip your live stitches onto the correct needle to knit the cuff and then knit downwards until the cuff is the correct length.

HTH.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 7th May 19, 5:34 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 8,455 Thanks
    YorksLass
    I'd do what PipneyJane suggests, otherwise you'll notice the different cuff ribs every time you wear the garment! Cutting into a stitch sounds a bit scary (well, a lot ) but it's easier than it sounds. And no, cast on edges don't unravel easily.

I usually knit sleeves from the top-down but have yet to take the plunge to do a complete garment this way! It's on my "learn" list.

I keep my knitted pieces in zip freezer bags and write down which piece it is on a slip of paper, then put the paper into the bag with the piece. Especially useful for sleeves, as left and right ones aren't always the same.

If you have trouble deciding which is the right or wrong side (usually on garter stitch), put a stitch marker on the right side of each piece.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 31st May 19, 10:29 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 8,933 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Patternfish closes today
    Good morning All

I was browsing the Ravelry forums this morning when I noticed a thread about Patternfish closing. The last day for sales is today (31 May 2019). If you have ever purchased patterns from that site, you have until 30 June 2019 to download your pattern stash before the website disappears for good.

(If you never encountered Patternfish, it was a website which sold commercial patterns under licence from the big yarn companies (Twilleys, Classic Elite, James C Brett, etc). Many of those patterns dated from the 1990's or earlier, so it was a good resource if you were trying to recreate a jumper you had way back then.)

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 31st May 19, 10:33 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 8,933 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    I usually knit sleeves from the top-down but have yet to take the plunge to do a complete garment this way! It's on my "learn" list.
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    YorksLass, have you seen the Top Down Raglan Sweater Generator on Ravelry? It's free. I've not tried using it but it is saved in my queue (at number 235, I might add).

HTH,

- Pip

• CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 31st May 19, 2:27 PM
    • 8,708 Posts
    • 19,336 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    New blanket on the loom - it's an aqua, dark cinder grey and soft light grey so far. I'm debating adding in a dusky pink.
    I'll be gifting it.
    Then I have another to do for myself, in greens and denim blue.

I may treat myself to a sock loom and sock yarn.... But I should really clear down some of the yarn oddments first LOL

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 43\66 IT'S THE YARN
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 31st May 19, 3:26 PM
    • 4,381 Posts
    • 6,838 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Most of my recent projects have been dolls house size (including a 1930s style fairisle tank top) on 1mm needles.

To give my eyes a rest, I knitted a full sized throw for the back of the conservatory sofa - a wheat coloured aran, in basic basket weave stitch with a garder stitch border. It was done in one piece, measures 48" by 48" and looks lovely.

Just wondering what to do next ......
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 2nd Jun 19, 9:42 AM
    • 525 Posts
    • 8,455 Thanks
    YorksLass
    YorksLass, have you seen the Top Down Raglan Sweater Generator on Ravelry? It's free. I've not tried using it but it is saved in my queue (at number 235, I might add).

HTH,

- Pip
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    Thanks Pip, that sounds interesting so I'll give it a read and see if I can cope with it. I thought my "queue" was bad but yours is waaay longer than mine!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 2nd Jun 19, 1:35 PM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 5,316 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    While you can do this, itís a right pain in the posterior. Cast on edges donít rip back like active stitches/cast off edges do. Instead, you have to feed the tail of yarn through every stitch, under and over every part of the stitch above. (Cast on edges donít unravel.)

Instead, Iíd recommend cutting off the cuff, picking up stitches and knitting down. This video on YouTube shows how but, basically, you thread your finest circular needle through the row above the cuff, then find a stitch below and cut that, unravelling from there downwards. Slip your live stitches onto the correct needle to knit the cuff and then knit downwards until the cuff is the correct length.

HTH.

- Pip
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    I agree. If I need to add length I take my dressmaking shears and chop off the end. I don't bother threading a needle in before cutting .

I cut off the end, unravel until a whole clean row comes off. Then pick up the stitches and then 'knit a row backwards'. i.e. undo the stitches on the needles until I get a nice clean row to work from again. Or, if unravelling a complicated pattern I 'un-knit' until I can work out what row should be starting from.

Be warned cutting the end off always makes a mess - you'll need the hoover.
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 2nd Jun 19, 1:38 PM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 5,316 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    ...I usually knit sleeves from the top-down but have yet to take the plunge to do a complete garment this way! It's on my "learn" list...
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    Just note that garments knitted top down in the round are harder to adjust size wise for fit.

To give me extra space in the arm I sometimes knit the larger size sleeve one size up from the body size and then ease the sleeve to fit in the armhole when sewing up. This is not so easy to do with top down garments.
    Last edited by Spider In The Bath; 02-06-2019 at 1:40 PM.
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 20th Jul 19, 7:34 AM
    • 8,708 Posts
    • 19,336 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Hello All,

How are your projects shaping up?

I finished the lap blanket - very pleased with how that came out. Needs wrapping for gifting.
    I was gifted a big caron cakes yarn from a friend so that was stitched up into a rectangle for making another blanket cardi. It's curled rather annoyingly. I plan on doing sleeves for this one. So that's currently sitting in my PHD pile (Projects Half Done).
    Another good friend for in contact to commission me to make a blanket for her. So I'm steadily working through that, and have 10 more balls to go (13 in total LOL). At current pace I should have it done for end of august, and is told her by October so that's good.

I made a vest cardigan for my sister to gift to her friend. The friend asked for my email to contact me to make her another, slightly shorter in different colours so that's been a nice boost for my creative confidence. Just need to figure out pricing, wool costs etc.

Next on the project list is face pads and then dipping into crochet (ARGH) for shower scrubbies\puffs. Lots to keep me occupied over the dreaded summer months.

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 43\66 IT'S THE YARN
    • Happy One
    • By Happy One 21st Jul 19, 3:33 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    Happy One
    Good to see a comment on this thread, Iíve been having a sort out of my Ďworks in progressí and have finished off three tiny cardigans for the premature babies, all now pressed and buttons sewn on, each with a matching pull on hat. Have been buying yarn with a sparkly thread as like to make up a special collection for the Christmas babies. I take my small project knitting with me everywhere so am getting a nice collection done
    Do want to make myself something chunky for the winter, have the wool but havenít seen a pattern that I like, only had the wool two years!
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 21st Jul 19, 7:27 PM
    • 39,918 Posts
    • 37,181 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    The mohair cardigan 'just' needs sewing up ... I've been taking it to groups where I can spread it out and sort it out, but I've had to miss two this month so not much progress.

Have started a pink balaclava for myself. :-)
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,526Posts Today

6,887Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin