PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    I have onions, broccoli, carrots and two sad little potatoes :D so I'm making soup today. I have some frozen sweetcorn that can be added too.

I have a few slices of bread in the fridge too so my husband can have some cheese toasties before he goes to work.

One thing I'm trying to do to waste less is to buy less condiments. I fancy mustard and buy some and then don't fancy it for ages.

I have used up all my jam and marmalade as I'm trying to cut down on sugar and won't be buying them again.

All I have left is Frank's hot sauce, soya sauce and apple cider vinegar in the fridge and some ketchup in the cupboard that my husband mostly uses.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A butternut squash had been lurking in the potato box for ages, yesterday I got OH to cut it up for me and I roasted it in the Remoska, than also (sort of) roasted a large batch of cherry tomatoes that I got for £1 off the veg stall at the hospital, now have several portions of yummy tomato soup, although I think I need to add a touch of sugar to reduce the acidity a little.

OH and I have both been a little off colour and not wanted proper meals for a couple of days, so I think that half a cauli may have gone a bit too far to reclaim, but I will check today and salvedge it if possible. I need to grate a batch of cheddar, so may get a cauli cheese from it:(
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Sligo
    Sligo Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    Hello All. A new face for this thread but I was a sometime lurker last year. Determined to cut down on waste this year by better planning!

I am looking for your suggestions for the following as I don't want them to clutter up the cupboards but am loathe to throw new packets away! Both purchased by normally non-shopping OH when I was away over Christmas and he developed "supermarket illiteracy" when doing the shop!

Suggestions for Arborio Risotto rice? He bought this instead of normal rice - despite it saying it in big words on the packet! We are not fans of risotto in our house. Can it be used for rice pudding?? Anything else?

Also oat bran! He bought this instead of porridge oats. Don't even know where to start with this. I do bake so any suggestion gratefully appreciated.

Dinner tonight is chicken fajitas with a kit I found at the back of the cupboard which is only a year out of date and YS chicken breasts. Everything in the pack is sealed packaging so it will be grand!
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Thank you for re-starting the thread Jackie.

I'm afraid we're seeing a lot of good threads being accidentally removed by the spam button - we think people are hitting it on their phones instead of the thanks button.

We're working on a solution.

Keep sharing your food waste saving efforts. We're putting this thread out on twitter :)
    Couple of ideas - make the Spam button a different colour from the thanks button - maybe make it red?
    Have an "Are you sure?" stage, so that the person reporting Spam hits the Spam button, then has to hit another button to confirm they actually wanted to report Spam.
    I don't know how practical these would be, as I'm not a coder, but it's my two pennyworth, fwiw. :o

Re: LFHW - I am pleased to say we are still managing ZERO food waste in this house; mainly I think due to careful measuring (even if it's by eye) to ensure correct portions for Mr LW and myself, c/w Mr LW's ability to eat up anything on my plate that I find I can't manage. :D

We're both a bit under the weather at present (I have lupus-related nausea and he has a poorly back) so not sure what tonight's dins will be; something easy I think, as I have another meet'n'greet visit tonight, a little Shih Tzu coming to visit at 20:00.

I recently rescued a couple of slightly geriatric bananas by making them into banana cake (added bonus - it's one where you chuck all the ingredients in the food processor and wuzz it) which did us for dessert for a few days.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • MrsPear
    MrsPear Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for ideas. Have no mincer but I think I’ll chop it up and make cottage pie. I have a hand full of carrot too which I will stir in after the simmer as I don’t want mush. Don’t know why I hadn’t consider cottage pie.

Re Oat bran - lots of muffin recipes ask for it.
    Gc challenge £363.53/ 500
    Y Feb 317.28 / 350
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oat Bran makes a really thick and tasty porridge on it's own, cook it exactly as you do rolled oats and for the same amount of time. It's very filling and good for lowering cholesterol too. Alternatively just mix it in with your porridge oats and you won't know it's there, cook as normal.

Risotto rice is softer and creamier in texture than long grain rice but bigger grained when it's cooked than pudding rice, I don't see why it wouldn't make a lovely substantial rice pudding in place of pudding rice though, I'd give it a try and you may just have invented comfort on a plate!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the spam button deletes, that'd be poor programming in the first instance.

The spam button should just mark a thread as invisible, only to be deleted by a systems admin person. The rule with databases is "do not delete", just mark records as not visible.

It appears it would be easy for somebody "with a grudge" and this information, to simply write a simple "hit spam" script that ran at a fast rate over a weekend to delete the majority of the site! Madness.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 January 2018 at 2:53PM
    Options
    Thanks for the update Andrea. Sad but at least we have the people that post xx

I am using up a load of bell peppers and onion to make a Piperade to have with sausages - the men will have good old bangers and mash :T
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Risotto rice will make rice pudding OK, there are recipes on-line for "quick" rice pudding using this.

Oat bran, yes porridge/added to porridge, and an amount can be added into muffins, flapjacks, cookies, bread to increase the fibre content. oats and their derivatives are quite gentle on the tummy and often an essential part of high protein/low carb diets to keep one regular, without discomfort for most. Some people who need to be GF can eat oats, but not all.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Moroccan vegetable casserole I made on Sunday was from an ‘Eat Well for Less’ cookery book from the local library. I haven’t watched the series but was really pleased with this recipe, it used up lots of veg that’s been hanging around a while: three wrinkly peppers, 5 very large carrots from the pantry, 2 tins of out of date chick peas, a bag of frozen courgette chunks from the summer allotment courgette glut, a bag of out of date dried apricots, a good amount of spices I already had and one of MrC’s squashes. It made a huge amount of food, served 6 of us easily on Sunday, two of us for tea yesterday and I have frozen two generous portions.
    If I’d had to buy ingredients it could have been expensive, but they were already lurking in various cupboards.
    I served it with cous cous (spelling?) and wilted lemon and garlic spinach as I bought a big packet of cots cous earlier this year and hadn’t used it all, but it would have been equally good with rice. The spinach was our own, frozen earlier this year. Made a lovely change from our usual Sunday roast and used up a lot of odds and ends of veg.
    We certainly ate our 5-a-day as well :)
    I’d recommend looking through the indexes of cookery books in your library, as well as searching online if you have something to use up. I was looking for ways of using chick peas. I often find inexpensive recipes in the books there for ingredients I want to use up and I find that onlinerecipes often seem to involve buying MORE ingredients rather than using what you already have.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback