PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    don't suppose there is anyway you could suggest that your parents join in with this GQ?
    :D You have no idea how hard it is getting stuff out of their house. I will be over there for a few days mid-month, so I suspect they will be inadvertantly taking part.:D

Mum did say she has been sneaking looks at the broom cupboard shelf which we did at the weekend, for the pleasure of it, and that it's great that some of the other cupboards are sorted. I am trying to show her the utter joy of a well-organised cupboard.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We finished the piñata for Saturday's party! All in time, and it gives me good hope that the party will go well. All the four boys cancelled, due to a football match they had to play, so it'll be six girls and my two. I will run the party with dh as helper. Getting as many things ready tomorrow night, decorate the garden Saturday morning and some last minute shopping, and we are good to go!
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Serendipitious
    Options
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Oh, I was a bit premature - my released clothing would have done well in Sept Mins game!

I did wonder if I should have counted the items but there is no way I am getting them all out to count them now! Maybe sil will tell me after the carboot. Never mind, I have plenty of other kondo-ing to do but not as Mins, I think I shall carry on letting the items suggest themselves for a while. I have released lots of Stuff that I was holding onto for various reasons - often because I imagined I could use them for a project in the future, or just because I'd had something for ages :rotfl: As many have said, some items were kept because they had cost good money and they *should* have been used, even though they weren't! :rotfl::rotfl:

I found 'clothes part 2' MUCH easier than first time round. Sometimes you just know the time is right, don't you? I still have more to go but when I look back to last summer, when I started the journey, blimey have I progressed well with it!

Only things that went today were recycling and an unused pillow protector that I offered to a neighbour (she has very worn ones and had bemoaned them a few weeks ago so when I came across this in the bottom of COD). She was delighted, even offering to pay me for it (no thanks), and I have a bit more space.

Oh, and one of my clients insisted on paying a bit more because I had helped her with something she had been very anxious about and ' didn't make her feel silly'. She is a lovely lady but lives alone and her sons can't understand why she gets anxious 'because she is perfectly capable'. I just listened to her concerns and then assisted her with the task in hand and we got it sorted out in no time. I could SEE the relief.
    I think that's how I feel when I complete another bit of kondo-ing:rotfl:

anyway, here's to a great September Everyone :beer:
    M

I think we need more characters to add to Justin and Andy - Costalot being one of them.

I can think of another too - Bessie Best.

I have rooted out from my wardrobe a nightwear set kept for Bessie since (wait for it) the mid 90s. :eek:

It's very beautiful - a Victorian-style, pintucked bodice full length nightdress in 100% cotton, with a very fine full length three quarter sleeve plain white matching robe to go over it.

I kept these for Bessie because one day I believed they would be used. They haven't been. And on the occasions for which they were theoretically earmarked - eg new romance - they were proven to be blissfully redundant! :D

Anyway, today they made me laugh. So, a wash is in order to see if the brilliant whiteness can be restored, and then I might just wear them before it gets too cold, as clearly Bessie isn't ever going to require them...
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• GreyQueen
    edited 1 September 2016 at 8:52PM
    Options
    :) I'd like to introduce an old pal, Mr I. Paid-Goodmunnyferthis.

Mr Paid-Goodmunnyferthis may be familiar to a few of you. He is a rather jealous, resentful character and gets stroppy if you try to take any of his toys away to give to someone more needy. He clutches them to his chest and lets out the characteristic lament which gave him his name.

I have tried introducing him to Miss Itsa Sunke-Coste but they haven't quite seen eye-to-eye thus far, but I live in hope.;)
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GreyQueen. That man still comes to my house but not as much anymore. His other friend Mr I am-a Bargain doesn't seem to get out much these days neither!
    Go get it!
  • Mrs_Veg_Plot
    Options
    Evening all. I've been lurking for the last three weeks reading this thread from
    the beginning, 60 pages to go and I will be up to date. Enjoying reading about your kondo journeys.

I read the book earlier this year and Kondoed my clothes. It's amazing how much joy a Kondoed knicker drawer can bring. Have done the living room, airing cupboard and kitchen as well.

Over the BH weekend I started on the attic. My OH comes from family that all have a leaning towards hoarding and he is every bit as bad as his family and squirrels stuff away in the attic. I've made 5 trips to the charity shop and 5 to the recycling centre and have hardly made a dent in the contents of the attic. When we moved here 15 years ago I was impressed that OH boarded out the attic but boy do I regret it now.

Had a talk with OH about "stuff, Justin (OH's best mate)and things dying in storage" however what made him see the light was telling him that if we died our two daughters would have to sort it out and how painful that would be for them to address when they were grieving. I finished off by explaining how selfish it would be of us to put them through this when we could do something about it now. See I have learned from you all.

I'm still having to take small steps with him as he finds it difficult to let stuff go, however on Monday I gave him a few items he was reluctant to part with (despite them belonging to both DD's and they wanted rid of them)and gave him a deadline of today to get it onto the bay of e or I was taking it to the charity shop. Just having a lie down in a dark room to get over the shock of him actually doing it as I type :j.

Happy Kondoing. I'm off to read a few more pages before bed.

Mrs VP
    X
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order :D.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 1 September 2016 at 11:01PM
    Options
    2 bags of textile recycling taken to H&M today (money off vouchers received in exchange - win-win!)
    2 gorgeous Whittards cups and saucers released from cupboard (hadn't been used for at least 8 years) and wrapped and added to CS box (now overflowing so need to take it with me when next that way)
    2 tshirts released by DS1 to the next textile recycling bag!
    Several items released by DD and DS1 for pricing up for NNS next month (ok, not gone yet)
    Several small items released by DD into Operation Xmas child collection bag and some to CS box
    Lots of bits of gribble from DD's room recycled/ binned as appropriate
    1 each of hotel shampoo and conditioner (Molton Brown) used up by me today and bottles recycled

small steps to start Sept with.... :D

x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :o:p Oooh, look what I found!

Not sure I should share this, but in case Justin has left any unused calendars or diaries from previous years at your place:

http://whencanireusethiscalendar.com/?y=2015
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Chieveley
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :o:p Oooh, look what I found!

Not sure I should share this, but in case Justin has left any unused calendars or diaries from previous years at your place:

http://whencanireusethiscalendar.com/?y=2015

:rotfl: Always good to start the day with a good larf! Thanks GQ Liking the new characters on the scene.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    Morning all
    Love the new characters names that are trying to thwart people's kondoing.

The old calendar post made me smile. Mil has a couple I found stuffed into a gap between the wall and a desk in her spare room,
    Me- can these to in the recycling bag?
    Mil- oh I forgot I still had those, I kept them because they have nice pictures on
    Me- why don't you put them up somewhere you can see if you want to look at them?
    Mil- that would just be silly, they are years out of date.

Other amusing old stuff convo this time with DD1
    She's 30 this year and while clearing out the attic I found a big stack of her 18th birthday cards, I asked if she wanted me to bring them over for her. Dd1 has no remorse or sentiment when it comes to getting rid of stuff that as past its usefulness or no longer brings joy. Her response was why have you even still got those I'm nearly 30 they have no earthly use, I looked at them on my birthday thanked whoever sent them and probably don't even speak to half of those people any more. When challenged to make a use for them I half jokingly said that I could save them for her 48th birthday and fashion the 1 into a 4 so she would have lots of cards then. After an uncomfortable pause she said slowly mum but then it would be really creepy as I'd be getting cards from strangers who I've forgotten or people who are long deceased. Just bin them!!!

Which brings me to mins game day 2
    A stack of 18th birthday cards -read smiled over and placed in the recycling bag., they had made it from the attic to the sideboard and sort of got stuck there. (A bit like the girl in the itsty bitsy teeny weeny bikini they we scared to leave the house but they are now on their way.)
    A store card belonging to dd1 that's been sitting on the front door shelf for months - put in my purse to return to her tomorrow

Carpet fitter guy is coming round this afty to measure up our room and stairs/landing. It will be a moment of joy when the old ratty carpets leave later in the month
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure