Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Jan 15, 10:59 PM
    • 29,814Posts
    • 62,871Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The KonMarie method
    • 5th Jan 15, 10:59 PM
    The KonMarie method 5th Jan 15 at 10:59 PM
    I read this book a few days ago having heard about it late last year.

There is a lot of nonsense in this book (of the "possessions have energy", "thank your handbag every day for working so hard" variety), but amongst all that there are a few principals that do make sense, and I'm stunned to say have actually rubbed off on me! I've started this thread as the insights from this book would get lost within the decluttering thread (which I think is brilliantly inspirational, btw).

- firstly, discard. Hold the item and ask yourself, does this item bring you joy? If not, get rid. I struggled with this one at first because something can be of use and I can remember how much each and everything cost me! So I removed of some superficial stuff and then got a taste for it, I just kept on going for a couple of hours but didn't venture anywhere near my clothes. Despite this resolve, I suddenly found myself going through my wardrobe this evening and letting go of expensive items of clothing that do me no favours and I wouldn't actually miss so do not risk buying again.

- secondly, forget about additional storage solutions. This does make sense - law of supply and demand, etc - because it means that you just buy more stuff. From bitter experience, I know this to be true.

- store things differently. Vertical storage means everything is more visible, storing things stacked in top of each other means space gets taken up inefficiently. Aim to create a rectangle of the given item of clothing and then fold and store like a sushi roll (nothing on top of it), Every piece of clothing has a "give" point at which it will stand up (thinner materials will need more folds). Search for "Marie Kondo folding" on YouTube to see how it's done.

- tidy in one go, rather than a room at a time. "One go" could mean over 6 months - the point is tidy all the same family of objects (eg clothes, books, kitchen utensils etc) together in one go. The key here is having everything of that group in one place rather than scattered around in different places.

- ensure everything has a designated place. That way you're not lumbered with tidying all the time, you automatically return any given item to where it belongs. Strangely, this has really worked for me, from encouraging me to do the washing up to itching to clear all surfaces! Weird but true.

- don't stockpile. I can't help this, esp with toiletries - the thought of running out of toothpaste, deodorant, shower gel and handwash fills me with dread, and I love a bargain. The truth is its not a disaster if you do run out, we have 24/7 supermarkets (in cities and suburbs, at least) so nothing is too far out of reach. Where stuff is in units, I can calculate how long it will last me...but really, what is the point? This stuff belongs in a shop. What was anathema to me after a lifetime of hoarding such items seems to have rubbed off on me

What is even odder is that getting rid of stuff in this way is inducing a sense of well-being! Try it for yourself before you admit me to a psychiatric unit.

So well done, Marie Kondo. For all my skepticism it is paying off

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 09-02-2016 at 10:33 AM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
Page 3
    • jinny
    • By jinny 12th Jan 15, 2:09 PM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 21,746 Thanks
    jinny
    Lesson learned
    That goes fro me too
    Best wishes for the future

That's why I'm getting rid of my excess now. Firstly for my own wish to live light now then in the future.
    I don't want my family to have to go through my stuff
    Like I had to with my mothers stuff.
    Bless her she was from the generation of keeping stuff just in case.
    Like konmarie I de cluttered from quite a young age but mam would retrieve my stuff from the bin cubby even. As stuff was too good to throw out. This book claims you won't have to declutter again
    So I'm hoping I can keep this up
    Some relatives of mine downsized to a static caravan and live without stuff that filled a three bedroom house...heaven

The book reminds me of the programme the Hoarder next Door
    Clearing out your stuff once and for all
    Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together - Elizabeth Taylor
    • iQueen
    • By iQueen 12th Jan 15, 2:34 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 20,201 Thanks
    iQueen
    I got my book the day after Boxing Day and devoured it! I'm also following another website which has nearly 5k of posts. (Watch out for chazzers/CRs refusing to accept stuff! )

After trying to de-clutter my seriously cluttered home for years, kondoing is definitely the answer. By dealing with each category/sub-category individally, we can see everything together, which makes decisions easier. Also, by starting with the easier categories, our mindset changes, and very soon we are making instant decisions on what needs to go - without any regrets. So, the later categories, with more emotional attachments, are not as traumatic as we feared.

Kondoing also de-clutters our heads.

Tidying is a thing of the past, along with clutter.

We stop buying non-essentials, leaving more money for building memories through joyful experiences.

We feel good about ourselves because we look good, wearing only clothes that bring us joy.

Housework is a breeze, when the clutter is gone, and everything we own has a permanent home.

Our homes are calmer, and happier.

The two things from MK's book that I bear in mind are:

DON'T go out and buy storage solutions - we already have (more than) enough, and shoe-boxes are the most useful!

Get your home in order and your life will improve.

Oh, and also from the book... has anyone kondoed their DP yet!
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No food waste since November 2010.
    No debts.
    • jinny
    • By jinny 12th Jan 15, 2:45 PM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 21,746 Thanks
    jinny
    What's the website Iqueen
    And what's a DP?
    Love your phrase Kondoing!
    Last edited by jinny; 12-01-2015 at 2:50 PM.
    • iQueen
    • By iQueen 12th Jan 15, 2:52 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 20,201 Thanks
    iQueen
    Much as I hate to make MK richer, the book is well worth buying - you will probably recoup the cost in the first week's shopping bill, because you will be less inclined to impulse buy!

Kondo the fridge and freezer by storing items on their sides, to see at a glance, and use space more efficiently

I fold socks. Smooth out, lay one o top of the other. Fold the foot up the leg, and fold in half to file in a drawer. If you prefer the sushi/Swiss Roll style, do the foot fold, then roll from that fold, and store on the roll-end. A plastic take-away box acts as a good container, or a fruit punnet, depnding on the number of socks.

Most of my socks are my own hand-knitted ones, and I cannot bear they way 'potato balls' stretch the tops!
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No debts.
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 12th Jan 15, 3:12 PM
    • 4,762 Posts
    • 10,463 Thanks
    rosie383
    Sounds as if you have it sussed iqueen. But tell me this and tell me no more... can you kondo your eating habits? Because I eat what brings me joy!! Then have to work it off, which doesn't.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    • iQueen
    • By iQueen 12th Jan 15, 3:24 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 20,201 Thanks
    iQueen
    What's the website Iqueen
    And what's a DP?
    Love your phrase Kondoing!
    Originally posted by jinny
    Mumsnet. They are filling a thread (1k posts!) every 2 weeks! The enthusiasm is palpable and really motivating. Some posters started in September and have more or less finished - and their homes are STILL tidy! (With young children and a job! )

A DP is a Dear Partner. In the book one grateful reader has admitted kondoing her husband! It changes your perspective on life, so in rare cases, that might be what brings some people joy!

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

Thread 4

Thread 5 (current)

Took ages to find them all, sorry. Hope I got them all correctly.

I read through the first 3 before I joined and it really is useful to do that, because there are some amazing tips in the posts which MK doesn't have.

There are newbies joining all the time. Really inspiring, especially for people like me, who rightly should be on Gransnet, but I find the vitality on Mnet really motivating.

Join The Cult... become a Konvert!
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No debts.
    • jinny
    • By jinny 12th Jan 15, 3:29 PM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 21,746 Thanks
    jinny
    Thank you Iqueen
    I kondoed my ex hubbie 29 years ago (Didn't bring me joy sadly)and
    Haven't cluttered up my home with a replacement
    A man In your life but not in your home is my mantra lol
    I'm more a gransnet as well but do go on mums net
    Great site thanks again.
    Last edited by jinny; 12-01-2015 at 3:33 PM.
    • iQueen
    • By iQueen 12th Jan 15, 3:31 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 20,201 Thanks
    iQueen
    Sounds as if you have it sussed iqueen. But tell me this and tell me no more... can you kondo your eating habits? Because I eat what brings me joy!! Then have to work it off, which doesn't.
    Originally posted by rosie383
    I kondoed my eating 8 years ago!

Luckily, protein and fat (meat, fish, cheese, milk, dripping, bacon, double cream, butter, eggs, + fruit and veg) bring me real joy! BTW, my collesterol is shockingly LOW!

Oh and I cook from scratch - no manufactured carp pseudo-food!
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No debts.
    • iQueen
    • By iQueen 12th Jan 15, 3:41 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 20,201 Thanks
    iQueen
    Thank you Iqueen
    I kondoed my ex hubbie 29 years ago and
    Haven't cluttered up my home with a replacement
    A man In your life but not in your home is my mantra lol
    I'm more a gransnet as well but do go on mums net
    Great site thanks again.
    I've kondoed two husbands and not replaced them!

And you have stolen my mantra! I've never heard anyone else use it. (I stole it anyway!) Very true though. I like the idea of semi-detached houses!

Age-wise I'm definitely Gransnet and did venture onto their Kondo thread, but it was only a little less bleak than a hoarders site that I used to read. Perhaps we get more pessimistic as we age?
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No debts.
    • jinny
    • By jinny 12th Jan 15, 3:58 PM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 21,746 Thanks
    jinny
    Ha ha a lass after my own heart
    A car, willing to do some diy and take you out for your tea now and then
    Is all I require in gentlemen callers lol

I'm sure I pinched that saying from Lisa Minnelli or Joan Collins can't recall
    And they've decluttered a few ex husbands

My grannie used to say
    At first you sink into their arms
    Then your arms are into their sink! lol
    She was happily married for years I hasten to add
    • iQueen
    • By iQueen 12th Jan 15, 4:11 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 20,201 Thanks
    iQueen
    Saying thank you and goodbye...
    Just read this thread again and had another thought.

Some of MK's ideas do seem wacky, but surprisingly, they work for a lot of people.

The idea of thanking objects that are going to the charity shop or bin, for example. I have experienced that twice myself.

My youngest daughter left a pair of tatty pink slippers here on her last visit and I finally chucked them in the bin. I retrieved them because I suddenly thought 'she might have left them, unconsciously or deliberately, to 'mark' this as her home. When I next spoke to her, I asked her about them and she told me to bin them! I let them go without another thought.

Recently, my own fluffy pink slippers (that she bought me) gave up the ghost - they were literally falling to bits! I thanked them for bringing me so much pleasure and love and happily dropped them in the bin!

Oddly, this has 'given me permission' to let other things, that tug the heartstrings, go, too.
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No debts.
    • iQueen
    • By iQueen 12th Jan 15, 4:16 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 20,201 Thanks
    iQueen
    Ha ha a lass after my own heart
    A car, willing to do some diy and take you out for your tea now and then
    Is all I require in gentlemen callers lol
    I have a very good male friend who serves that purpose well!

Just had an invitation to his Civil Partnership in the spring!
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No debts.
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 12th Jan 15, 4:25 PM
    • 4,762 Posts
    • 10,463 Thanks
    rosie383
    Thanks again iQueen. I love the idea of saying thank you to something and letting it go. I have a huge proofreading job to get done but as soon as it's finished I will definitely be saying goodbye to more stuff.
    Oh, BTW, can you do a tiny bit at a time? I did do the bathroom one afternoon but that wasn't awfully cluttered anyway. The thought of having to do all the clothes in one go, for example, just makes me think of piles of stuff that will take too much time to sort through.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    • jinny
    • By jinny 12th Jan 15, 4:45 PM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 21,746 Thanks
    jinny
    Hi Rosie
    You can just do all your tops then trousers and so on
    Work through each category
    I don't have many clothes now I have retired
    Oh the joy of discarding my work clothes last year
    It's much easier with less good quality clothes
    Konmari advises not delegating unwanted clothes for lounge wear
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 12th Jan 15, 5:00 PM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 35,888 Thanks
    Justamum
    I always thought I'd never get rid of books. However we inherited my father in laws books when he died, and a lot of the books were on subjects none of us are interested in. We've had them for a few years now, but now that we're settled in our own home I decided something had to be done, and ruthlessly sorted them out. I asked DH to go through the ones I'd picked out for getting rid of, but he has trouble letting go of 'stuff' so kept quite a few. He has never to my knowledge looked in any of them (we've been together nearly 25 years!)- he's from South Africa so they're all books about South Africa and its flora and fauna. He struggles to get rid of old clothes too.

• iQueen
    • By iQueen 12th Jan 15, 5:03 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 20,201 Thanks
    iQueen
    Oh, BTW, can you do a tiny bit at a time? I did do the bathroom one afternoon but that wasn't awfully cluttered anyway. The thought of having to do all the clothes in one go, for example, just makes me think of piles of stuff that will take too much time to sort through.
    Originally posted by rosie383
    Yes, you can do a bit at a time.

Clothes is the first category, because it is reasonably easy for the majority people.

Do your socks, tights, knickers, bras, nightwear first, you will be amazed! Nice quick result.

MK breaks it down into:

Tops - all tops, or it could be Tees, Sweaters, Cardigans, blouses
    Bottoms - jeans, skirts, trousers, shorts, leggings
    Jackets and coats
    Dresses
    Sports wear
    Occasions - weddings, balls, funerals, clubbing etc
    Hats, scarves gloves
    Jewellery
    Bags
    Shoes

The idea is to deal with every item in a category/sub-category, at the same time, so that all the discards get chucked and the only items left generate a 'spark of joy' to wear/use.

So, for example, Tees...

OUT go all ill-fitting, stained or holey, hate the colour, too short/long, uncomfortable, etc. The only ones that stay are ones that you really enjoy wearing.

Check out Kondo folding and fold every thing that can be folded and organise a la MK in drawers - you will be amazed at how much space you have free!

Google the Marie Kondo order to see what else to do, when.
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No debts.
    • iQueen
    • By iQueen 12th Jan 15, 5:08 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 20,201 Thanks
    iQueen
    ...so they're all books about South Africa and its flora and fauna. He struggles to get rid of old clothes too.
    Originally posted by Justamum
    Maybe DH would be happy for them to go to a library? Try your central library or a university library.
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No debts.
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 12th Jan 15, 5:36 PM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 35,888 Thanks
    Justamum
    Maybe DH would be happy for them to go to a library? Try your central library or a university library.
    Originally posted by iQueen
    Our local library is quite small, and we don't have a university on the island. I'm biding my time

The idea is to deal with every item in a category/sub-category, at the same time, so that all the discards get chucked and the only items left generate a 'spark of joy' to wear/use.
    Originally posted by iQueen
    I hate all my clothes I've had them all for years and none of them are nice. Unfortunately I hate shopping for clothes.

• pollys
    • By pollys 12th Jan 15, 6:57 PM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 12,463 Thanks
    pollys
    Hello

Thank you for starting this thread. I'd never heard of this method for decluttering. I've browsed the net and just tackled my socks, bras, knickers and nightwear. Not sure if I've got the folding right but I now have an empty drawer and a carrier bag for the charity shop.

I will start on my wardrobe at the weekend. I can see that this is going to take me quite awhile but hopefully a very worthwhile task.

Thank you

Polly
    MFW 1/5/08 45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
    • flipper_72
    • By flipper_72 12th Jan 15, 7:13 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 986 Thanks
    flipper_72
    I haven't read the book, but love the folding methods, I have just made a start on my children's underwear drawers, my son who is 5 helped roll his pants I can't get their socks to stay rolled though so need to get some shoe boxes to help them. I already store my bra's correctly so about to make a start on the rest of the underwear and then the rest....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,712Posts Today

6,399Users online

Martin's Twitter