Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • ginnyknit
    • By ginnyknit 21st Jun 13, 4:11 PM
    • 3,584 Posts
    • 42,373 Thanks
    ginnyknit
    • 21st Jun 13, 4:11 PM
    • 21st Jun 13, 4:11 PM
    yay new thread!!! Thank you Fuddle and of course thanks to Kitty for the original idea that got all of us like minded folks together.

I have been out to check the elderberry bushes and they are not showing many flowers yet so must be a late season.

Just nipped to Mr A and not impressed, they seem to 'infer' that things are cheaper when in fact they have gone up by several pennies - can't quote any off the top of my head as it was full of children trying to get their mothers attention only to be sworn at or ignored
    Minimising 'Stuff''
    Keeping my purse shut still.

Motto for the year - Don't buy it!!!

COLOR=Red]
    [/COLOR]
  • D&DD
    • 21st Jun 13, 4:13 PM
    • 21st Jun 13, 4:13 PM
    Blimey I was hyperventilating then...thought we'd been canned!
    Love the new title Fuds onwards and upwards gals and boys.DS3 has just arrived home from his travels so any suggestions on how to cram a caseworth of washing into one machine load much appreciated!
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Marketing Manager
    • bunbun2
    • By bunbun2 21st Jun 13, 4:19 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 28,838 Thanks
    bunbun2
    • 21st Jun 13, 4:19 PM
    • 21st Jun 13, 4:19 PM
    thanks for the new thread fuddle - I love the title. if I start from the beginning I might have half a chance of following what is going on and try not to get pages and pages behind
    saving for ds2's summer international scout camp - 200
    60 deposit paid 100 paid 40 paid
    • RAS
    • By RAS 21st Jun 13, 4:21 PM
    • 27,996 Posts
    • 48,414 Thanks
    RAS
    • 21st Jun 13, 4:21 PM
    • 21st Jun 13, 4:21 PM
    DS3 has just arrived home from his travels so any suggestions on how to cram a caseworth of washing into one machine load much appreciated!
    Originally posted by D&DD
    Show the boy the machine and let him do it?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
    • savingqueen
    • By savingqueen 21st Jun 13, 4:22 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 22,694 Thanks
    savingqueen
    • 21st Jun 13, 4:22 PM
    • 21st Jun 13, 4:22 PM
    Yay superdooper new thread! I just tried to post a looong post on the old thread and it got lost with the thread being closed. That'll teach me!

I love the title - brilliant and well done!

Oh well will try again later, off to make dinner now

laters sq
    Learn from yesterday, live for today and hope for tomorrow. (Albert Einstein)
    • peony40
    • By peony40 21st Jun 13, 4:25 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 6,393 Thanks
    peony40
    • 21st Jun 13, 4:25 PM
    • 21st Jun 13, 4:25 PM
    Hello, a lovely new thread

Many thanks for the warm welcomes back.

We had good news on the car front, it only cost 1.25 for a clip We gave the mechanic a few pounds but much cheaper than we were led to believe.

It's got quite nice and warm here, so don't really know what to do for dinner. Stocks are running very low, so it will probably be sausages but it seems too warm for gravy.

Best go and get a move on as I expect hubby will be hungry once he wakes up.
    2019 Sealed Pot Challenge 107
    • maryb
    • By maryb 21st Jun 13, 4:27 PM
    • 3,993 Posts
    • 49,552 Thanks
    maryb
    • 21st Jun 13, 4:27 PM
    • 21st Jun 13, 4:27 PM
    found you! Phew!!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 21st Jun 13, 4:30 PM
    • 12,552 Posts
    • 241,626 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    • 21st Jun 13, 4:30 PM
    • 21st Jun 13, 4:30 PM
    Wheee, a new home. Love the title, Fuddle, great pic. I feel a sudden urge to donkeystone the front step I don't have.

Been to work and came home again, that'll have to stop for a couple of days. Got a bit overtired last night and didn't sleep well, although another industrial grade firework set off inside the block didn't help matters.

What concerns us about the eedjits who have them is, do the have more? This is the second in about a week. And are they indoors and might they all go up at once? Polis have been involved this time, so who knows what will be going on.

Hello and welcome to Sweet Pea Cottage, newly emerged on the end of the last thread. So pleased that you have a lottie now and so close - mine is 1.25 miles away. Just a teeny tiny bit envious of that. And how lovely to have rescued a pooch as well. What flavour is s/he?

We have talking lurchers on here (well typing lurchers, terrible spelling tho) and other dogs have been known to contribute as well.

Well, suppose I should get the tea on. Too tired to cook but hungry, IYKWIM. Going to braise a chop in t'oven and have HG veg (from the freezer) to go with it.

Keep on keeping on, people, and keep those steps sparkling.

Hello and welcome back Peony, that's one of my favourite flowers. My Nan has the most gorgeous deep pink peony at the bottom of the garden path, right in the veg patch. No one knows how it got there but she's a beauty.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 21st Jun 13, 4:34 PM
    • 6,682 Posts
    • 102,206 Thanks
    fuddle
    Sorry for confusing you all! Sorry about your post SQ

GQ, you're going to have to tell me what donkey stoning is now.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • Possession
    • By Possession 21st Jun 13, 4:38 PM
    • 3,140 Posts
    • 41,491 Thanks
    Possession
    SeedsbyPost have lots of veg seeds at 50p
    End of season 50p vegetable seed offer. Stock Running Low

We have teamed up with Mr Fothergill seeds and put together a range of their top selling vegetable seeds. We can offer you this entire range at just 50p a pack.
    Now is the ideal time to stock up on those tried and trusted varieties of vegetables listed below while they are at this amazing price.

Broccoli (Sprouting) Early Purple R.R.P. 1.75 Now 50p
    Brussel Sprout Agincourt F1 R.R.P. 3.09 Now 50p
    Cabbage (Savoy) Savoy King F1 R.R.P. 2.99 Now 50p
    Carrot Early Nantes 5 R.R.P. 1.49 Now 50p
    Cauliflower Drakar F1 R.R.P. 2.49 Now 50p
    Chard Bright Lights R.R.P. 2.49 Now 50p
    Celery Green Sleeves R.R.P. 1.95 Now 50p
    Courgette All Green Bush R.R.P. 1.49 Now 50p
    Cucumber Marketmore 76 R.R.P 1.49 Now 50p
    Leek Musselburgh R.R.P. 1.75 Now 50p
    Lettuce Little Gem R.R.P. 1.49 Now 50p
    Parsnip Gladiator F1 R.R.P. 1.95 Now 50p
    Pepper (Sweet) California Wonder R.R.P. 1.95 Now 50p
    Radish French Breakfast 3 R.R.P. 1.25 Now 50p
    Spinach Beet Perpetual Spinach R.R.P. 1.75 Now 50p
    Swede Helenor R.R.P. 1.75 Now 50p
    Tomato Gardeners Delight R.R.P. 1.75 Now 50p

Postage is free if you spend over 5.
    http://www.seedsbypost.co.uk/

Lovely new thread title BTW!

• GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 21st Jun 13, 4:45 PM
    • 12,552 Posts
    • 241,626 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Sorry for confusing you all! Sorry about your post SQ

GQ, you're going to have to tell me what donkey stoning is now.
    Originally posted by fuddle
    Mrs Fuddle! I am shocked, shocked. I thought it was a northern thing, but mebbe it was NW not NE.

I was told about this by pals who are expatriate Lancastrians who are about 60-ish. It was already a bit old-fashioned in their childhood, sort of rubbing the donkeystone over the front step titivate it.

Here's a Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_stone

There, never let it be said that I have not delved deeply into the Trivia Mines to fetch nuggets of randomness to the surface to share with y'all.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 21st Jun 13, 4:57 PM
    • 15,431 Posts
    • 150,554 Thanks
    mardatha
    I didn't know the old thread had been closed! Ah just found it hasn't LOL!
    I don't know donkey stones but where I grew up everybody used red stuff on their doorsteps. My mum didn't though.
    Last edited by mardatha; 21-06-2013 at 5:00 PM.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 21st Jun 13, 4:58 PM
    • 2,397 Posts
    • 25,993 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Welcome Peony! Another lovely flower!

Thanks for the new thread Fuddle! I like the new name AND the picture. Also, nice to see that the thread continues to have official endorsement. I wasn't in any doubt.

Don't worry, Princess can be princess, I answer to everything. My name is somewhat related to what I do and I was once referred to as "that fairy woman." I took it as a compliment .

Strawberry nets are up. I'm quite proud of my handiwork. Looking forward to the weekend. OH is cooking tonight. He hasn't done much this year since he's been so busy and so late home many nights but is excited to get back to it. He has chosen a rather expensive recipe--pancakes with asparagus, parma ham and hollandaise sauce. Fortunately the storecupboard will keep the cost down, but if he is planning to do more of this I may have to set a cap on his meal costings. Still, he is willing to have a go at hollandaise sauce, and this promises to be tasty, so I won't complain too much the once.

On the laundry front, I second RAS. In my experience boys get more in the machine than mums anyway
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 21st Jun 13, 5:03 PM
    • 2,397 Posts
    • 25,993 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    GQ, I've heard of donkey-stoning--I think it might be a NW thing. The article was interesting. Might ask MIL about it next time we see them. Lest I offend, she won't have been of a generation to do it herself, but might have seen her mum do it. Which brings me to a question--I was watching some old BBC programme set in Liverpool, if I remember correctly late 1920s/Early 1930s. Anyway, there was someone called a "Tally Man" who came through and chucked people out of their houses for overcrowding. MIL/FIL don't seem to know much about it, but I'm curious--would these have been social housing, and if not, by what authority could the city chuck people out? Not sure you'll know, but with your vast knowledge of donkey stoning, thought I'd ask.

Also good news, our neighbour is alive and well. The neighbours on the other side say he's been gone for three weeks. They also wryly commented that this wasn't the first time people have come looking for him, so alls well I guess. At least we'll know not to worry about him.
    • tattycath
    • By tattycath 21st Jun 13, 5:07 PM
    • 6,820 Posts
    • 35,979 Thanks
    tattycath
    I miss the days when I'd get together with a neighbour/friend for a coffee and a 'put the world to rights' chat. I think I've only got together for a cuppa with an acquaintance once this year
    Now this bit makes me sound really sad but I only have acquaintances near where I live-no one who's really a friend, and I've lived here for quite a few years.
    Of course OL friends are great but RLF would be good too.
    Sorry, that makes me sound like a real saddo.
    Great new thread though, so thanks for that.
    GE 36 *MFD
    MFIT-T4 No 83
    Mortgage overpayments:

Emergency savings 100/2000
    Savercard Christmas savings 10
    12/3/17 175lb - 15/3/17 173lb - 28/6/17 167lb - 14/7/17 164lb - 12/9/17 160lb - 29/12/17 155lb
    • Popperwell
    • By Popperwell 21st Jun 13, 5:09 PM
    • 4,637 Posts
    • 48,466 Thanks
    Popperwell
    New thread
    And another person who has learnt what a Donkeystone isnot that I have ever heard of it before. I do know how important it was to have a clean doorstep and you'd see mainly women putting elbow grease into achieving one and I think they sometimes added some kind of blacking or cardinal(red colour I think)

Now don't take this personally but many here say they like info on health issues, food, vitamins, want to lose/maintain weight...found this free site today that you may like...I've bookmarked it myself

3 Fat Chicks

Found it because I asked a question on Google about grapes and the difference between green and red. Just eaten half a container of red grapes myself. Earlier salad rolls...talk about trying to stay healthy. And drank water...

Not going to go out until Sunday...storing up energy and avoiding spending so I can do more at the food festival and creating space in the fridge/freezer.

Finally there is sunshine, I do hope this a good sign for the weekend.

I have three places I wish to visit again, not easy to get to without a car but they hold memories and I haven't seen for years...Richmond in Yorkshire, Raby Castle, Barnard Castle.
    Last edited by Popperwell; 21-06-2013 at 5:17 PM.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 21st Jun 13, 5:12 PM
    • 15,431 Posts
    • 150,554 Thanks
    mardatha
    Where I grew up the Tally Man was somebody who sold stuff on the never-never and came round to collect the money on a Fri night. Sometimes also called the Tick Man !
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 21st Jun 13, 5:18 PM
    • 13,321 Posts
    • 226,518 Thanks
    greenbee
    Show the boy the machine and let him do it?
    Originally posted by RAS
    That get's my vote too
    • bunbun2
    • By bunbun2 21st Jun 13, 5:19 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 28,838 Thanks
    bunbun2
    fairyprincess the pancakes sound lovely. that's good news about your neighbour.

tattycath i was thinking the same thing just today - i have lots of acquaintances but no friends. I had a really good friend (or so i thought - maybe she wasn't!) who moved away. I always seemed to be the one who kept in touch, remembered her boys' birthdays, etc. he has MS which I understand is hard but a phone call or email would have been nice. eventually I gave up which is a shame especially as she is my ds2's godmother. She even defriended me on facebook I had another friend who I met via MsE and she also defriended me on facebook and dumped me as friend. Oh dear that doesn't make me sound very good does it. I am a nice person...honestly.
    saving for ds2's summer international scout camp - 200
    60 deposit paid 100 paid 40 paid
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,425Posts Today

5,879Users online

Martin's Twitter