shopping at Lidls

Options

Comments

• Rachel021967
    Rachel021967 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    I buy mango chutney at my local Lidls. It's near the herb and spices. We love Lidls. In out opinion there pasta sauce at 69p is to die for and their nappies are better than leading brands. The alcohol is also very good. The only thing I've bought recently that was a disappointment was Dundee cake - very dry.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    i used to go there regular just for their nappies... as i found these brilliant value...and quality....

to be honest.....in there things that we buy.. i dont find them that cheap.....

yes when they have offers on the fruit and veg.. its great.. but i find you have to use them straight away.... as i find they go off really quick.....

the fizzy 2ltr bottles of pop are a great price.... but i have practically cut them out of the shopping all together...

biscuits are cheap... but again.. cut right back on them...

best thing to do... between now and the store opening... write a price book..... write your regular shopping items down with the price and the size of packet etc...... also if you know it goes on offer regular... also write the offer price down....

when lidles opens.....you can compare..... ok.. it might not be the brand you buy.. but you have got a guide price... to see if they are cheaper for what you shop for....

i normally compare lidles products with the shops own brand.....as a guide line.....

but i found i could not do a whole weeks shop there....
    Work to live= not live to work
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    a few tips for lidl - they dont have baskets - you need a £1 coin for the trolley and bring your own carriers or you have to pay - also they like quick service so you put your bought stuff into the trolley and bag it after you have paid

good luck

Some of their trolleys will take 1p coins too !
  • Fizog
    Fizog Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    SOme foods at Lidls are brill others not so great. Their oats, apple juice, fruit and veg, cereals, branded biccies, cleaning stuff all fab. And soooooooo cheap. lucky you I go to stock up on specifics. But the queues are v.long because its so cheap. Its a stack em high not particularly attractive shop to keep down prices. Ours often runs out of trolleys as they only seem to have 25 in total. They won't have baskets either. Every week they have specials on anything from horse blankets to ski wear. bargains galore check out their website https://www.lidls.com I think? google it see this weeks bargaings.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    a few tihngs I think are partic good

chorizo at 1.89 is the best weve had
    lel shower gel at 23p or whatever it is is fine, nice faint smell and non-gender does for me and the OH
    cottage cheese i find good, but annoying as it doesnt have plastic lid
    thier onion rings/ frazzles/ S&V chipsticks at 35p are excellent

I would say thou moneysavers make sure you have a good look at its "cheap" fruit & veg. I was about to buy a "half price" iceberg lettuce at 59p, theyd crossed out it was originally 1.19 Now, im sorry, I dont know ANYwhere, including waitrose that sells icebergs for that the most Ive paid recently is 75p - so dont get ripped off with the so-called "bargains"
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • vivw_2
    vivw_2 Posts: 2,230 Forumite
    Options
    correct web site address is :http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/i.home
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.

• sexymouse
    sexymouse Posts: 6,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    They do some really nice frozen pizzas with mozzarella and pesto on the top (thin crust) which are really like the Ristorante pizza's but much cheaper.
    I also buy the kitten toiletroll - think it's usually labelled as luxury loo roll. They had sold out last time I went in, so it's obviously popular; it's a similar quality to Andrex.
    Their cream filled doughnuts in the frozen cabinet are really nice too. 99p?
    Bagels, and pitta bread are a lot cheaper than tesco and sainsbury, but some of the bread isn't, so it's a case of getting to know what you'd pay in either.
    Potato wedges are good too - nice spicy coating on them, and they still have the skins on them. :)
    They don't have too much in terms of vegetarian food, so I don't do my main shop there, but I do go in for the odd thing.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Angel Baby Poppy born 8/11/15, Rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
    £997.87/£2020
  • Mrs_Pepperpot_2
    Options
    nappies fantastic and cheap
    Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet...
  • Fizog
    Fizog Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    SOme foods at Lidls are brill others not so great. Their oats, apple juice, fruit and veg, cereals, branded biccies, cleaning stuff all fab. And soooooooo cheap. lucky you I go to stock up on specifics. But the queues are v.long because its so cheap. Its a stack em high not particularly attractive shop to keep down prices. Ours often runs out of trolleys as they only seem to have 25 in total. They won't have baskets either. Every week they have specials on anything from horse blankets to ski wear. bargains galore check out their website www.lidls.com I think? google it see this weeks bargaings.
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd forgotten about the pasta sauces but i'll add another thumbs up for that too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure