Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 17th Sep 10, 5:16 AM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Shabby Chic; Volume III
    • 17th Sep 10, 5:16 AM
    Shabby Chic; Volume III 17th Sep 10 at 5:16 AM
    Good morning I've had a request to start a new thread, so here it is - enjoy

This is a new thread dedicated to all things shabby chic. Think traditional english style mixed with new england, Cath Kidston, Laura Ashley and reusing/repainting old furniture to fit in with this style.

The old thread is here; I'll close it once everyone has found this one.

DD and I have been restoring a Freecycled ottoman chest, for her to put her sewing stuff in. I'll see if I can add photos

Official MoneySavingExpert.com insert: Thanks to Penelope Penguin for starting the latest shabby chic discussion. Click reply below to take part. If you haven’t already, join the forum. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 21-05-2013 at 4:02 PM.
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 3
    • lindadykes
    • By lindadykes 20th Sep 10, 6:05 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    lindadykes
    If you live near a Boyes store they have some lovely shabby chic cake stands in for £7.99, I saw three different styles - one of them was very CK like, though they were all lovely.
    Linda
  • CraftyDeb
    Hi I have been lurking for a while and would love to join in this new thread but found I cannot post photos as I'm a newbie ...how long do I have to wait?

Love the drawers Pablo and the gorgeous HOME clock CDeb ...having seen your work before so I know its just going to look gorgeous..
    Originally posted by lajoni
    Ooh Laj great to see you on here
    Not sure how many posts it is before you can put piccies on but I am only up to 44 posts and I put a pic on a while back so it may be about 20 posts. Add loads of comments as you need to show off your wonderful creations
    • pennib
    • By pennib 20th Sep 10, 6:23 PM
    • 1,397 Posts
    • 7,415 Thanks
    pennib
    Hi Pooky, been collecting them for many years, got a few here and there and the rest from Ebay.
    Lajoni. Welcome lovely to see you over here!
  • FelinePrincess
    Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone would mind posting any pics of their shabby chic bedrooms? I'd be very interested to see any small bedrooms with lots of storage in a shabby style. I am going to be redecorating my bedroom very soon and I really want to do it in a shabby chic style, it is a modest sized room (house is 2 up 2 down) and I need lots of storage space as both I and partner have quite alot of clothes, shoes and bits and bobs. We don't have an attic of spare room to keep junk or clutter in so it all has to be stored in bedroom or living room.

I have been looking at pics of shabby chic bedrooms on google but they all seem to be big fancy bedrooms with limited storage so I'd love to see some real life, practical, lived in shabby chic bedrooms to give me some inspiration

Btw, I love everything you shabby chicas have been posting, haven't read the threads thoroughly but I have been looking through at the pics and everything is amazing!
  • FelinePrincess
    PS, just wanted to add I will be totally re-doing the bedroom, painting, carpet, and all furniture as my current furniture isn't practical for storage so open to ideas on EVERYTHING! Only restriction is budget
  • lajoni
    Thanks Penny and CDeb.....I love your jugs too Penny ...if you'll pardon the expression ....not seen them before, oh and that lovely sock monkey
    Lajoni x

If you see someone without a smile...give them yours.
    • fluffybunny
    • By fluffybunny 20th Sep 10, 8:07 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    fluffybunny
    Hi I have been lurking for a while and would love to join in this new thread but found I cannot post photos as I'm a newbie ...how long do I have to wait?

Love the drawers Pablo and the gorgeous HOME clock CDeb ...having seen your work before so I know its just going to look gorgeous..
    Originally posted by lajoni

maybe you have to wait to post directly with MSE but you can use a photohosting website like photobucket and do it that way
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 21st Sep 10, 12:19 AM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    Feline princess, we've almost finished redoing our bedroom and ended up going for fitted wardrobes which go over the bed too. That was because DH refused to get a compactum (I can't link as I'm at work but they have them on the bay). We also got a divan bed with drawers and then had space left to get my lovely dressing chest which I have finished now. I'm hoping DH has put the nails back into the top of it as I did ask him to do that tonight (I will try to get round to posting a picture tomorrow at some stage).
    Had a good look at my kitchen today and started seeing the general grubbiness with fresh eyes. It really needs painting. Will try to get on with it as the week goes on. Woodwork is really grubby looking and needs to be sanded back and eggshelled. Need to sort out what is happening with the door too as it is covered in plaster and really unsightly.
    Tomorrow I am going to walk around my house with estate agent eyes and try to write a list of all the little jobs which aren't actually beyond me being able to achieve. Then when things are done, I can pretty it up a bit more
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT £92727.75 £49395.47 £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt £52856.59 £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my £6316.14 £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • *miaomiao*
    Restoring an old WW2 army wooden box
    Good morning!

It's my first time posting on this thread, but I love how much help everyone seems to give each other! Here's my question for your thoughts!

Last weekend, my boyfriend and I were out for a walk around our neighbourhood. We noticed a fantastic old WW2 wooden box with the name of the soldier painted on the top just sitting in a skip. After we asked the home owner if we could give the box a new home, we took it away. I was thrilled - in fact I'd been looking for one similar on Ebay, but lost the auction. And now I've found one for free (must be karma after giving so much away on Realcycle haha)!

So, after getting it home, dusting, vacuuming, washing it with a mild solution of fairy liquid and water, we need some suggestions on what to do. As this is an old box, we'd like to preserve it as much as possible.

1. Over time it has gotten some woodworm throughout the box (not badly, but visible). I've ordered a small bottle of Rentokil Woodworm treatment that I apply. I know that it can be sort of poured into the little holes or painted on. I'm not sure what's best - should I do both? Can the treatment be put on old paint on the exterior of the box or should we treat only the unpainted interior of the box?

2. Some mildew has at one time or another gotten to the box, but it is dry now and will be kept dry. Do I need to do anything to treat the mildew?

3. I'd like to paper the inside of the box so as to protect items stored within it. I'm looking at some William Morris & Co wallpaper. Does this sound right? Should I feed the unpainted interior first with some furniture wax so that it can get some nourishment back into the wood?

4. Can I wax the old painted exterior of the box? We have some Colron Natural Beeswax leftover from another project and I was thinking of using this to help protect the exterior and bring it a bit back to life!

All help most gratefully received!

Thanks!
    • gingababe
    • By gingababe 21st Sep 10, 11:19 AM
    • 1,073 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    gingababe
    Just wanted to share this wonderful bargain I got today from Morrison’s. They have them in HOME and LOVE and they come in black or white for the princely sum of £3.00. I am going to antique mine as I have all cream painted furniture and the white sticks out like a sore thumb. They are a really decent size much bigger than it looks in the picture.
    Originally posted by CraftyDeb

I love the picture, can I ask where you got it from please?
    Thanks

GB
  • jcr16
    Just wanted to share this wonderful bargain I got today from Morrison’s. They have them in HOME and LOVE and they come in black or white for the princely sum of £3.00. I am going to antique mine as I have all cream painted furniture and the white sticks out like a sore thumb. They are a really decent size much bigger than it looks in the picture.
    Originally posted by CraftyDeb
    i got the home clock. they didn't have love in my local morrisons. i'm glad i bought it on friday as since then they have sold out and haven't had them again. it looks fab on my dresser. even tho my dresser hasn't been chic'd up yet. i was very impressed with the price of it.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 21st Sep 10, 3:48 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    miaomiao, I think you can wax over old paint or you could strip it with nitromors or similar to remove the paint and then wax the wood. Not sure about the worm holes, I'd just follow the destructions on the tin!
    Your ideas sound very nice, the only thing I can think to add is to think about protecting the paper so it doesn't get ripped when putting stuff in and out of the box. Maybe just some clear silicon run over the corners?
    I think that I would bleach the mildew. Make a strong bleach solution and wash the box in and out. Then make sure to dry it fully before you do anything else so you don't go sealing in dampness. I don't know if paper would adhere well to a waxed surface though?
    I'm sure some more seasoned shabby people will offer more ideas soon
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT £92727.75 £49395.47 £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt £52856.59 £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my £6316.14 £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • lajoni
    maybe you have to wait to post directly with MSE but you can use a photohosting website like photobucket and do it that way
    Originally posted by fluffybunny
    Hi Thanks FB but I initially did try using Photobucket but it wouldn't work so I am assuming I have to post a certain amount before being allowed to show photos
    Lajoni x

If you see someone without a smile...give them yours.
  • pollyskettle
    I /think/ it's either five posts or fifteen - it's because the photos are technically a link and you can't post links until a certain number of posts. I'm pretty sure it's not a huge number though.

But it may be, I'm often wrong

Edited to add: I vote this post gets the 'most useless post EVER' award as it manages to say nothing - sorry about that x
    "A cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make them biscuits." - Mary Cooper
    "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
  • FelinePrincess
    Feline princess, we've almost finished redoing our bedroom and ended up going for fitted wardrobes which go over the bed too. That was because DH refused to get a compactum (I can't link as I'm at work but they have them on the bay). We also got a divan bed with drawers and then had space left to get my lovely dressing chest which I have finished now. I'm hoping DH has put the nails back into the top of it as I did ask him to do that tonight (I will try to get round to posting a picture tomorrow at some stage).
    Had a good look at my kitchen today and started seeing the general grubbiness with fresh eyes. It really needs painting. Will try to get on with it as the week goes on. Woodwork is really grubby looking and needs to be sanded back and eggshelled. Need to sort out what is happening with the door too as it is covered in plaster and really unsightly.
    Tomorrow I am going to walk around my house with estate agent eyes and try to write a list of all the little jobs which aren't actually beyond me being able to achieve. Then when things are done, I can pretty it up a bit more
    Originally posted by Kaz2904
    Don't think my partner would let me get a compactum either as bit awkward to get upstairs, they are gorgeous though. At the moment I'm thinking of Ikeas aspeland or birkeland ranges both of which are white and then accessorising it up with shabby chic accessories and soft furnishings. Looking forward to seeing the picture

Saw a gorgeous patchwork bedspread on brandalley.co.uk today for £22, had to resist buying it as the red ones where sold out and I think I want my colour scheme to be red, cream and white. They still have blue and black ones at £22 for a double
  • CraftyDeb
    I love the picture, can I ask where you got it from please?
    Thanks

GB
    Originally posted by gingababe
    I downloaded it from here

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Keep-calm-and-carry-on.svg

printed it off and stuck it in a frame which was in a pack of 3 for 47p from Wilkos
    • fluffybunny
    • By fluffybunny 22nd Sep 10, 8:50 AM
    • 379 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    fluffybunny
    ok....I am absolutely flabbergasted to say I've had a lovely dresser from Freecycle! Here is the pic that was on freecycle

What would you experienced chics advise? sand it?

I'm thinking F&B dimity for the top coat but not sure what to do for the underneath. I'd like it all in dimity apart from the top of the bottom bit (if you know what i mean)

I'm shabby chic virgin, this is my first go!
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 22nd Sep 10, 9:09 AM
    • 6,909 Posts
    • 45,122 Thanks
    Pooky
    Gorgeous dresser....it's got exactly the same base as mine (mines got a squarer top to it)...I found that the top of the cupboard, the side struts on the base and the shelves were all oak that had been stained and varnished and they came up really well after sanding. I just used some beeswax to protect them. One of the doors on mine was damaged to I removed them both and have made curtains for mine. The rest of it got painted after a light sanding.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • fluffybunny
    • By fluffybunny 22nd Sep 10, 9:34 AM
    • 379 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    fluffybunny
    Gorgeous dresser....it's got exactly the same base as mine (mines got a squarer top to it)...I found that the top of the cupboard, the side struts on the base and the shelves were all oak that had been stained and varnished and they came up really well after sanding. I just used some beeswax to protect them. One of the doors on mine was damaged to I removed them both and have made curtains for mine. The rest of it got painted after a light sanding.
    Originally posted by Pooky
    did you use an electric sander or by hand?

have you got any pics? I'd luuuuuurve to see it
  • *miaomiao*
    I'm thinking F&B dimity for the top coat but not sure what to do for the underneath. I'd like it all in dimity apart from the top of the bottom bit (if you know what i mean)!
    Originally posted by fluffybunny
    Have you thought about checking out some other heritage paint type suppliers? My boyfriend and I recently did a table & chairs up shabby chic style and we used paint known as '1889' - it looks great, comes in loads of similar colours to F&B and is 1/3 of the price! Ours came from the big orange diy store!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

112Posts Today

1,627Users online

Martin's Twitter