Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 17th Sep 10, 5:16 AM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Shabby Chic; Volume III
    • 17th Sep 10, 5:16 AM
    Shabby Chic; Volume III 17th Sep 10 at 5:16 AM
    Good morning I've had a request to start a new thread, so here it is - enjoy

This is a new thread dedicated to all things shabby chic. Think traditional english style mixed with new england, Cath Kidston, Laura Ashley and reusing/repainting old furniture to fit in with this style.

The old thread is here; I'll close it once everyone has found this one.

DD and I have been restoring a Freecycled ottoman chest, for her to put her sewing stuff in. I'll see if I can add photos

Official MoneySavingExpert.com insert: Thanks to Penelope Penguin for starting the latest shabby chic discussion. Click reply below to take part. If you haven’t already, join the forum. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 21-05-2013 at 4:02 PM.
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 2
    • Bibbitybob
    • By Bibbitybob 17th Sep 10, 9:38 PM
    • 905 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    Bibbitybob
    TinyPablo, that is just gorgeous!!

HabibiBoo, how about if you painted the legs light and then distressed the paint so that the dark colour shows through? That way it would be shabby chic, but still work with the rest of your wood work?

• CraftyDeb
    Bibbity love the tables. Tiny that chest of drawers is unusual love the finished result. Princess Vicki those cakes look lush
  • emzeebabez
    Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker and love looking at all your fab creations. I thought since this was a shiny new thread, it was a good opportunity to finally introduce myself and show you my very first shabbied up item. I bought the little chest of drawers in a second hand shop as I really liked the shape of the legs, sanded it down, stained the top walnut and painted the rest old cream. I am really pleased with how it turned out.

Before:

After:

Originally posted by TinyPablo

This is gorgeous! I adore it!
    must find me one of those! xx
    • newmee
    • By newmee 18th Sep 10, 8:31 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    newmee
    Tinypablo hi and welcome
    I love that chest and your makeover is gorgeous. Well done you.
    The greatest gift you'll ever learn,
    is just to love and be loved in return
    Nature boy - Eden Ahbez
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 18th Sep 10, 9:04 AM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 29,165 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Pennib, I've been so stingy with my patchwork. To start me off I bought a pack of pre-cut fabric squares from ebay (6.00) and I found two king-size cotton sheets in a charity shop (3.00) one of which I'm using for the background colour to the patchwork daisies & the other one I'm going to use to back it. All the other fabric has come from my scrap box, my Mum's scrap box, cut up cotton clothes, etc. I have drooled over patchwork fabric in craft shops & online but I really wanted this to have a vintage look & I think it will as I've included fabric from things like old Laura Ashley skirts I wore when I was a student & flowery cotton bedlinen that used to belong to my old Nan, even the shirt my husband wore at our wedding. I'd love to get it finished, (& see if I really can complete the whole project for a total of 9.00) but I promised my sister I'd knit some little baby & toddler socks for a craft stall she's doing & as the money will come in useful, I'm having to spend my spare time on that at the moment. Lovely seeing projects everyone else is working on.
    • jtz
    • By jtz 18th Sep 10, 10:19 AM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 12,728 Thanks
    jtz
    Thank you so much everyone for contributing to this thread! I am determined to keep track this time as the other thread went too fast. Hopefully, I'll post some my shabby chic small 'junk' makeovers soon (although they won't be half as good as yours!)
    Here's my share so far:
    Wilko's 2 tier cake stand- £5
    I've also seen lovely Cath Kidstonesque kitchen items on the site but can't find them right now. I'm pretty sure they are in the new mag though.
    HTH anyone.
    • jtz
    • By jtz 18th Sep 10, 10:21 AM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 12,728 Thanks
    jtz
    Bittybob I love the nest of tables!

I posted this on the baking thread too but I'm a show off and the cake stand is Cath Kidston so its allowed here also
    Originally posted by x-Princess-Vikki-x
    OMG that's lovely and looks delightfully scrumptious! I've made VERY similar butterfly rasberry cupcakes too. Just out of curiosity, are these the one from a Somerfield mag?
  • CraftyDeb
    Just wanted to share this wonderful bargain I got today from Morrison’s. They have them in HOME and LOVE and they come in black or white for the princely sum of £3.00. I am going to antique mine as I have all cream painted furniture and the white sticks out like a sore thumb. They are a really decent size much bigger than it looks in the picture.
    • Bibbitybob
    • By Bibbitybob 18th Sep 10, 11:15 PM
    • 905 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    Bibbitybob
    Scrummy looking cakes Vikki, and I'm still super jealous of your CK win!

That clock is indeed a bargain, can't wait to see what you do with it CraftyDeb. Thanks for sharing, although I'm on a self imposed pretty bits purchasing ban until I've decided how everywhere's going to be decorated.

foxgloves - £9 for your entire project is a fab price, good luck!

• lajoni
    Hi I have been lurking for a while and would love to join in this new thread but found I cannot post photos as I'm a newbie ...how long do I have to wait?

Love the drawers Pablo and the gorgeous HOME clock CDeb ...having seen your work before so I know its just going to look gorgeous..
    Last edited by lajoni; 19-09-2010 at 12:25 PM.
    Lajoni x

If you see someone without a smile...give them yours.
  • Keiss 21
    Hi I have been kurking for a while and would love to join in this new thread but found I cannot post photos as I'm a newbie ...how long do I have to wait?
    Originally posted by lajoni
    Sorry, can't remember how many posts you have to "post" before being able to include piccies....could be 20, 50 or 100...not very with it atm!!

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 19th Sep 10, 12:07 PM
    • 6,911 Posts
    • 45,138 Thanks
    Pooky
    Have just ordered a couple of these for Christmas pressies but think they'd look great shabbied up a bit too!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • natc
    • By natc 20th Sep 10, 9:18 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    natc
    Pooky - £1!!!!! Baragainous! FAb idea to shabby up for xmas presents! Sooooo excited, ivew been counting down the weeks until christmas since April! Sad, I know, but its my favourite time of the year, and love getting ideas for presents. Its time to start now for the crafty/SC presents......
  • nattyt
    I've come out as a shabby chicer!! I LOVE IT! Now that i can do exactly what i want i'm going to!!!! My first project is my bedroom chest of drawers. All prepped ready to paint.I can't decide between cream or F&B green ground? Has anyone seen this shade and if so is it light? Really only want a 'hint' of green if you know what i mean!! Also not quite shabby chic but bought some dolls bunkbeds for DD2 for 50p so painting these for her!! Pink and yellow i reckon. Looking forward to reading this thread! xxx
    • fluffybunny
    • By fluffybunny 20th Sep 10, 10:26 AM
    • 379 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    fluffybunny
    Can anyone recommend a shade of F&B?

I dont want any particular colour, just an off white or maybe a cream?
    • euripidesralph
    • By euripidesralph 20th Sep 10, 11:42 AM
    • 100 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    euripidesralph

Originally posted by fluffybunny
    Hiya

I have just repainted my fireplace in F and B dimity and would highly reccomend - it seems very white at first but when it dries its like a vintagey colour I cant really explain.

I am going to try and post photos later so hopefully that will let you see the shade

The other one I like is no 22 Light blue although that is a bluey colour (obviously - lol sorry)

hope you find the one you want

xxx
    "I havent failed, Ive found 10,000 ways that dont work" Thomas Edison

Married to the love of my life 5th December 2009
    My little miracle ds born 15/11/12 ..... loving the rollercoaster
  • blushingbride
    Just wanted to share this wonderful bargain I got today from Morrison’s. They have them in HOME and LOVE and they come in black or white for the princely sum of £3.00. I am going to antique mine as I have all cream painted furniture and the white sticks out like a sore thumb. They are a really decent size much bigger than it looks in the picture.
    Originally posted by CraftyDeb

Oh they would make lovely chrimbo bargains!
    • fluffybunny
    • By fluffybunny 20th Sep 10, 12:32 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    fluffybunny
    Hiya

I have just repainted my fireplace in F and B dimity and would highly reccomend - it seems very white at first but when it dries its like a vintagey colour I cant really explain.

I am going to try and post photos later so hopefully that will let you see the shade

The other one I like is no 22 Light blue although that is a bluey colour (obviously - lol sorry)

hope you find the one you want

xxx
    Originally posted by euripidesralph
    thank you

Ive seen a few posts mentioning dimity and also eggshell sounds nice. Its just that with other paints I find I like the colour on the tub but it looks different when it dries iyswim

I've been very lucky to get a Priory dresser from freecycle ! Its lovely but a very very dark oak. Has anyone got any advice? i think I'd like to paint most of it apart from the shelves and the top of the bottom part (does that make sense ? lol ) edit - i loved bexbex's transformation here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=35417845&postcount=3204

dont know whether to use ESP or sand or this or that lol
    Last edited by fluffybunny; 20-09-2010 at 12:34 PM.
  • danemi1

Originally posted by fluffybunny
    DIMITY!!!! without a doubt - its fab!!!
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 20th Sep 10, 5:55 PM
    • 6,911 Posts
    • 45,138 Thanks
    Pooky
    I love those jugs!!! Where did you get them?
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

77Posts Today

3,018Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin