Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 8th Sep 10, 1:50 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    Preparing for winter II
    • 8th Sep 10, 1:50 PM
    Preparing for winter II 8th Sep 10 at 1:50 PM
    Hi everyone,

As the original thread is now over three years old and has grown very long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than September. I have tried to contact Hapless, the OP of the original thead so she could start the new one but unfortunately she hasn't been online for some time.

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the old thread you can find it here:

Preparing for Winter

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Pink

A winter check list has been posted - you can find it here:- Winter Check List

Car survival list (from the old thread) :- car survival list
    Car lists revisited :- Car winter preparations
    Last edited by squeaky; 18-09-2011 at 7:29 AM. Reason: added winter car survival link
Page 1
  • purpleheather2810
    • 8th Sep 10, 1:53 PM
    • 8th Sep 10, 1:53 PM
    Oooh, shiny new thread! Thank you Pink!
    Skint but happy with my lovely family

Hypnotherapy rocks
    • Athome1
    • By Athome1 8th Sep 10, 2:09 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    Athome1
    • 8th Sep 10, 2:09 PM
    Thanks from me too Pink! I loved the old thread and I'm sure this one will be just a great!
    • coldstreamalways
    • By coldstreamalways 8th Sep 10, 2:09 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 1,835 Thanks
    coldstreamalways
    Hoorah, I shall definitely keep up with this one!!

I have:

Bought OH a dressing gown.
    Sewn 3 for 2 @sd@ fleece blankets inside hall windows (where the thermostat lives).
    Taken up skanky old carpet and horrid MDF floor and laid pine floorboards with insulation underneath.
    Put an extra layer of insulation in the loft.

No big gas bill for me this year!!

Will possibly invest in some new slippers for us both and OH needs some wellies.
  • ChocClare
    • 8th Sep 10, 2:35 PM
    • 8th Sep 10, 2:35 PM
    Ooh, shiny!

Good news, nice to see how supportive we've all been of each other over the years!
    • Cheapskate
    • By Cheapskate 8th Sep 10, 2:44 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 20,518 Thanks
    Cheapskate
    • 8th Sep 10, 2:44 PM
    • 8th Sep 10, 2:44 PM
    Love new threads - thanks very much pink-winged!

September has always been my 'new year' as I've always associated it with a new school year.

Now that DS3 is at nursery, I'm planning to:

Sew door curtains x2
    Make thermal linings from cheap fleeces for several window curtains
    Make draught excluders
    Buy runners for hallway & kitchen - laminate floors are so cold!
    Buy new flannelette sheets for everyone
    Stock up (a bit!) on dry goods, toiletries, etc

There are probably loads more things, but I can't think just now!

Will keep up with this thread - love battening down the hatches for winter!

A xo
    Feb GC 0.00/300
    Decluttering 332/2019 items this year
  • jackieglasgow
    • 8th Sep 10, 2:48 PM
    • 8th Sep 10, 2:48 PM
    Thanks Pink
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
    • midnightraven3
    • By midnightraven3 8th Sep 10, 3:03 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 6,699 Thanks
    midnightraven3
    • 8th Sep 10, 3:03 PM
    • 8th Sep 10, 3:03 PM
    thanks very much pink-winged!

read all of the last one, but just started posting
    have lots of tips and started doing for this winter

i love this thread
    and the anticipation of being as cosy as can be
    excited to be part of the new thread too
    • Bitsy Beans
    • By Bitsy Beans 8th Sep 10, 3:08 PM
    • 9,433 Posts
    • 65,784 Thanks
    Bitsy Beans
    • 8th Sep 10, 3:08 PM
    • 8th Sep 10, 3:08 PM
    thanks for the new thread Pink

I don't have loads to do, buy a couple of fleeces for the kids beds, my mum has promised to knit me two blankets for the car in case of emergency (although I don't use it much during the day but I like to be prepared ) and I WILL kick H up the @rse to fit the draught excluders we bought for two doors LAST winter <hangs head in shame>
    I will probably need to rig a heavyweight curtain at the bottom of my stairs as these come into the lounge and the draught that blows down is shocking. No idea where it comes from, neighbour has the same problem. Must be a design flaw in the house
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife Louise Brooks

All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.

Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
    • midnightraven3
    • By midnightraven3 8th Sep 10, 3:17 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 6,699 Thanks
    midnightraven3
    i am also wondering what i can do with the stairs
    we loose so much heat

this needs thought
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 8th Sep 10, 3:32 PM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 23,816 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    Sorry for interupting, I might be able to help with the cold stairs problem. I posted on the old thread in response to Mardatha (I think) with regard to heating a stone cottage but decided last night to investigate why my hall and stairs are so cold compared to the rooms. Here's what I found:-

- Is your front door metal or lots of glass? Tick for this one for me, I plan to put a curtain up as the door was freezing! and the letterbox won't help.
    - Do you have a loft hatch? I replaced my nasty plastic one a few years ago with a wooden one so its not as bad (coldness wise) but have put a seal of clear silicone round the edge of it to help the cold stay out. Was thinking if this winter is really cold I'll pin (drawing pins) an old towel or something over it.
    - hall ceiling cold? Took a tip from my parents on this one. I plan to paint my hall ceiling (the one with the loft the other side of it) with that polyfilla paint stuff, not sure what you call it but the stuff that fills in little cracks.
    - windows in the hall? Curtains or blinds or as it said in my old post a layer of clear perspex! (weren't allowed to put in double glazing)

just a few thoughts if I think of more I'll post them
    CC2 = 8687.86 (10000 )CC1 = 0 (9983 ); Reusing shopping bags savings =5.80 vs spent 1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
    • flowertotmum
    • By flowertotmum 8th Sep 10, 3:40 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 12,363 Thanks
    flowertotmum
    Hi..can i join in...i have just lined all the curtains in our house with very thick lining..bargain at fabric warehouse..5..for a whole roll..thought they had got the price wrong ..but no it was right...i have a huge door curtain at my front door..you can see daylight down the side of my door when its closed..according to the council its ok!..i have bought my little ones winter clothes off ebay and nice big coats from asda..just need wellies for them now..as for food and stocking up..my freezer is full of fruit and veg..need to get another one cheap...got plenty of first aid bits in too..thank god for home bargains...going to dust off the slow cooker and get it going again...got 6 hot water bottles with covers for 1 at carboot sale.....love bargains and being thrifty..i also love being cosy and ready for anything...
    • lambanana
    • By lambanana 8th Sep 10, 3:41 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 5,375 Thanks
    lambanana
    I think we'll be fine, our house gets quite cold but nothing we can do about the problems (mostly a poorly built lean-to utlility area at the back with a single glazed door and a window that doesn't shut properly, we rent and the landlord doesn't see this as an issue at all) we do need to get someone out to look at our radiators as they aren't all working properly but I don't intend to have them on too often. Other than that we've got lovely fleecy blankets, sleeping bags and I have knitting so we'll be warm enough. DH does need some new slippers and I'll make sure I buy some extra UHT milk in case of another snowy winter as last year I couldn't get the car out of the drive for a few weeks.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member #398 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts
    CC: 6412.95 (0% APR until Feb 2015 which I'm hoping is also my DFD!)
    Currently awaiting the outcome of a PPI claim which may bring forward my DFD, fingers and toes crossed!
  • pjblink
    Hi all, long time reader of the Preparing for Winter thread, and (i think) first time poster

What we have done so far:

• Made a trip to Ikea (Wednesbury) the other day and picked up lots of tealights, and a smaller number of the scented tealights.
    • Wedged the loft door, as although it has a seal fitted, it wasn't squishing the seal and so dropped cool air down out hall-way.
    • Soft-foam sealed the garage access door which comes into our house by the front door to stop the draught coming in.
    • Acquired a bread maker so we can keep fresh bread, and stocking up on Strong-White. (Also got a rubber-sealed container from Ikea for the flour).
    • Cleaned out the slow-cooker (lovely brown-crock OS one from my mother). (Will stock up on stewing steak etc...)
    • Stockpiled a bit of dry and tinned food and separated from our main every-day foods.
    • My OH is chinese, and so we have stocked up on noodles, rice, sushi rice, tinned fish etc etc...(i love all of this too, mmm noodles).
    • Made first batch of blackberry jam with blackberries collected around a week ago. Have now bought Pectin so will try with next batch for a firmer set. Will also try for a batch of Jelly (strain out bits and seeds). Have 2lbs blackberries left in freezer, but have found a very fruitful hedgerow nearby so will stock up .
    Myself and my beautiful girlfriend live in a two-bed coach house. It's <10 years old, fully double glazed and carpet throughout (except for lino in bathroom, ensuite and kitchen). We feel very lucky at how warm it is, and i've only just tried the CH the other day to check we have full circulation (we do, it got ROASTING!).

The building is entirely on the first floor, except for the garage which we live over. Our neighbours garages are under the rest of our property. Because of this, we have half-good insulation below us, everybody seems to keep their vehicles in there. Our garage has a half-restored VW Beetle in there (my hobby), however our up-and-over door for the garage has a very poor seal. This will be my next project to keep the garage warm. I would like to work on the bug over the winter, so not only will it be more comfortable, the house above should be warmer (directly above is our bedroom ).
    Last edited by pjblink; 08-09-2010 at 3:48 PM.
  • Minxy_Bella
    Hello - can I join in?

I was a bit of a lurker on the old thread but got loads of hints and tips that I'm working my way through - last winter was so terrible, I can't bear the thought of another one like it!

So far I have -

* ensured all of the family have slippers, dressing gowns, hats and wellies (not necessarily to be worn at the same time)
    * bought Ice Grippers from QVC for our shoes/boots to walk on ice (our road was totally treacherous last year - my staffie had to pull me along like a Huskie!)
    * bought thermos flasks and food flasks for the kids to have hot packed lunches
    * double glazed the entire house!
    * had cavity wall insulation put in
    * insulated the loft
    * organised a 'power cut' drawer, with candles, batteries and matches

What I need to do now is to

* stock up (even more than I usually do) on tinned goods and dried milk
    * stock up on cold and flu remedies
    * buy some thermal undies (sooo expensive though)
    * make my own foil radiator panels, guided by my FIL who's been doing it for years - I'm not convinced just yet that it'd be worth the time and effort though. Any thoughts?

I have been so naughty in the past with putting on the central heating whenever I've felt the slightest bit chilly so I'm making a promise to myself that I will leave it as long as possible and only when all of the jumpers in the house are being worn! We have loads of furry rugs and throws and sleeping bags - which I usually wrap around me even in summer as I do feel the cold really badly - I just have to keep the dog off them

So that's my project for the next few weeks - battling Mother Nature! It's grim up North so it's a bit of a challenge but I will win! I can't afford not to this year - we are skint!
    • toddles*
    • By toddles* 8th Sep 10, 4:33 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    toddles*
    loving everyones tips and ideas,
    just purchased some new thermal lined curtains. a bit of a step up from the old ikea 5 ones. that were basically a cream sheet. Ooh they are lush,
    been stocking up on the odd bit of food too
    Happy days
  • Confuzzled
    Will keep up with this thread - love battening down the hatches for winter!

A xo
    Originally posted by Cheapskate

so i'm not the only one!

funny, battening down the hatches is a phrase i commonly use any time a storm/blizzard is threatening to roll in, and i rather enjoy it as long as my family is home safe...
  • MummyOfTwo
    so busy thinking about christmas i hadnt thought of winter coming!

i think i need to:
    -check loft hatch
    -new slippers for all
    -invest in some cosy fleece blankets
    -line curtains in the front room

ours is a three storey house, and the ground and middle floors are nice and cosy with the heating on, but the top floor (playroom and master bedroom) can get quite chilly. may invest in some some more bedding for us...
    • richardc1983
    • By richardc1983 8th Sep 10, 6:08 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    richardc1983
    On a thread a while ago some people were saying that it has been boiling where they are!

OUr local weather man (look north) has just released his blog saying its been a cold end to summer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudso...h-summer.shtml

To quote from the site:

"It has been an unusually cold end to summer here in Yorkshire. Around dawn on 31st August at RAF Leeming temperatures fell to 2.6C, with a widespread frost on the ground. This is the coldest August night time temperature recorded at Leeming since records began in 1947 - marginally colder than the previous record set in August 2003.
    Mean August temperatures at the station were below normal at 14.8C, compared with the average of 15.6C. Rainfall was well below normal at 30.6mm compared with the average of 59.8mm. And Sunshine was also below average, with 142.5 hours, compared with the average which is 160.0 hrs. "
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
    • midnightraven3
    • By midnightraven3 8th Sep 10, 6:13 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 6,699 Thanks
    midnightraven3
    re the hall/stairs

i have very thick heavy curtains, wall to wall (ceiling to floor) where the door is
    out door is double the width of a "normal" front door
    but new last year, & pretty well insulated
    but i still think because of the expanse of glass (frosted) it looks cold

i am mid making a draught excluder for it too

we had an internal door fitted from hall to kitchen
    as last year it was draughty
    (again making a draught excluder for this also)

its the actual stairs and onto the landing where i think most of our heat is lost
    we close bedroom doors, and the loft hatch is heavy wood
    with excluder fitted on all sides

our lounge has a big archway out into the hall, so sitting you can really feel it

much as i am house proud
    my mind is gearing towards having something like they have in hospitals, the curtain track thingy on the ceiling, so i can at least curtain off the bottom of the stairs (it would need to be kinda L shaped)

or am i bonkers, and it wont work
    be honest, i can take it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,861Posts Today

7,653Users online

Martin's Twitter