Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 24th Apr 10, 7:57 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies
    • 24th Apr 10, 7:57 PM
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies 24th Apr 10 at 7:57 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Penlope Penguin for starting this legendary thread, which includes everything from growing your own veg to washing & reusing plastic bags.
    Scroll down for tons more tips.

If you havenít already,
    join the forum.

Back to the original post...

The original Sneaky Ways thread is now very long so time for another

My Sneaky Way - always ask yourself if you really need a non-essential item, and even if you do, wait a week to see if you still need it This has saved DH and I loads

What are your ways of sneakily saving pennies that your family doesn't notice? I challenge you all to come up with a brand new Sneaky Way that isn;t on the original thread

Penny. x

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply! Thanks to Penelope Penguin for posting the tip originally.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Rhiannon; 14-05-2019 at 9:52 AM.
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 129
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 15th Jun 19, 3:49 PM
    • 12,549 Posts
    • 241,605 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    A little research online seems to indicate an annual electricty use in the £6-£10 range for your router. Mine's on 24/7/365 as recommended by my ISP as on/ off can slow your line speeds.

My electricity consumption for the previous 12 months works out at 1.6 kWH per 24 hrs, which is 55p a day on my tariff, with half of that being standing charge.

On balance of my personal lifestyle, I would think that running 1-2 fewer washloads per month, or opening the fridge and freezer doors less frequently and for shorter periods of time, might well be more MSE than fiddling around with the router. But we all have different lifestyles and your mileage may vary, as the Americans say.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 16th Jun 19, 6:35 AM
    • 1,523 Posts
    • 23,822 Thanks
    Siebrie
    It's not the hub / router, it's an amplifier (strengthener?) to continue the signal to the bottom of the garden. Our router/hub is on 24/7; I am not fiddling with it.
    2019's wi-wa-wombles Ä 392,61 = £ 340.23
    Wombling to wealth 2018 Ä 972,97 = £ 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 Ä 7116,68 = £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 Ä 3.483,31 = £ 2,969.05
    • NorthernMonkey1
    • By NorthernMonkey1 27th Jun 19, 7:57 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    NorthernMonkey1
    A little research online seems to indicate an annual electricty use in the £6-£10 range for your router. Mine's on 24/7/365 as recommended by my ISP as on/ off can slow your line speeds.

My electricity consumption for the previous 12 months works out at 1.6 kWH per 24 hrs, which is 55p a day on my tariff, with half of that being standing charge.

On balance of my personal lifestyle, I would think that running 1-2 fewer washloads per month, or opening the fridge and freezer doors less frequently and for shorter periods of time, might well be more MSE than fiddling around with the router. But we all have different lifestyles and your mileage may vary, as the Americans say.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I'd not worry too much about switching it off and on once the line speed is stable after the first few weeks.

Do you use wifi or wired? you can disable the wifi which uses a fair chunk of the power from the router.

PS 1.6kwh/day is amazing. I thought I was doing well by getting mine to 5 from 9
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 2nd Jul 19, 12:52 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 8,851 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    My tip-du-jour is that I use permanent marker to write the date on the bottle/package whenever I start new makeup or toiletries. When I open the next bottle, I also mark on it how long the previous one lasted. That way, I'll know when I'm running short and need to buy a replacement.

For writing how long the previous one lasted, I use the following notation:
    xx/52 = xx weeks

xx/12 = xx months
    I'll then circle it, so that it is distinguishable from the date.

Not only does this mean that I'm not spending money when I don't need to, but If I'm stockpiling because of a BOGOF, then at least I'll have a vague idea of how long it'll take to use up and whether I really should be buying them.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,736Posts Today

7,455Users online

Martin's Twitter