Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Jan 15, 10:59 PM
    • 29,809Posts
    • 62,856Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The KonMarie method
    • 5th Jan 15, 10:59 PM
    The KonMarie method 5th Jan 15 at 10:59 PM
    I read this book a few days ago having heard about it late last year.

There is a lot of nonsense in this book (of the "possessions have energy", "thank your handbag every day for working so hard" variety), but amongst all that there are a few principals that do make sense, and I'm stunned to say have actually rubbed off on me! I've started this thread as the insights from this book would get lost within the decluttering thread (which I think is brilliantly inspirational, btw).

- firstly, discard. Hold the item and ask yourself, does this item bring you joy? If not, get rid. I struggled with this one at first because something can be of use and I can remember how much each and everything cost me! So I removed of some superficial stuff and then got a taste for it, I just kept on going for a couple of hours but didn't venture anywhere near my clothes. Despite this resolve, I suddenly found myself going through my wardrobe this evening and letting go of expensive items of clothing that do me no favours and I wouldn't actually miss so do not risk buying again.

- secondly, forget about additional storage solutions. This does make sense - law of supply and demand, etc - because it means that you just buy more stuff. From bitter experience, I know this to be true.

- store things differently. Vertical storage means everything is more visible, storing things stacked in top of each other means space gets taken up inefficiently. Aim to create a rectangle of the given item of clothing and then fold and store like a sushi roll (nothing on top of it), Every piece of clothing has a "give" point at which it will stand up (thinner materials will need more folds). Search for "Marie Kondo folding" on YouTube to see how it's done.

- tidy in one go, rather than a room at a time. "One go" could mean over 6 months - the point is tidy all the same family of objects (eg clothes, books, kitchen utensils etc) together in one go. The key here is having everything of that group in one place rather than scattered around in different places.

- ensure everything has a designated place. That way you're not lumbered with tidying all the time, you automatically return any given item to where it belongs. Strangely, this has really worked for me, from encouraging me to do the washing up to itching to clear all surfaces! Weird but true.

- don't stockpile. I can't help this, esp with toiletries - the thought of running out of toothpaste, deodorant, shower gel and handwash fills me with dread, and I love a bargain. The truth is its not a disaster if you do run out, we have 24/7 supermarkets (in cities and suburbs, at least) so nothing is too far out of reach. Where stuff is in units, I can calculate how long it will last me...but really, what is the point? This stuff belongs in a shop. What was anathema to me after a lifetime of hoarding such items seems to have rubbed off on me

What is even odder is that getting rid of stuff in this way is inducing a sense of well-being! Try it for yourself before you admit me to a psychiatric unit.

So well done, Marie Kondo. For all my skepticism it is paying off

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 09-02-2016 at 10:33 AM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
Page 483
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 3:25 PM
    • 8,134 Posts
    • 82,588 Thanks
    greent
    Non MK shopping but I plead a good reason. I bought some storage boxes. I have a large dresser in dining room with three cupboards below. I find it hard to get down on the floor to get things out and have forgotten what is in there even though it was Kondoed earlier in the year. I found it much easier to have things in baskets I can just slide out but they were much smaller than the shelf sizes. So used the two smallest boxes at Christmas as containers for present and hamper. Middle cupboard now contains two larger simple wooden boxes filling the 2 shelves almost completely - these now contain all my table clothes, runners and serviettes. Easily lifted out. 2 very large table clothes of my mothers put to one side - think I should let them go but not sure. Need to get the rest of the stuff out of the other 2 cupboards.

Kondoed some of my Christmas money on pair of pjs - the pair I wore last night are not fit for rags.
    Originally posted by GrannyKate

Totally acceptable - you tried with what you had - it didn't work (but you then re-purposed the ineffective storage) and you've bought effective storage which sparks joy in how you store things - I think that classes as MK!

x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £2418.57/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £173.62/£500
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 3:26 PM
    • 8,134 Posts
    • 82,588 Thanks
    greent
    I will add links into the first few posts on the 2016 thread as I find them/ people post them. If anyone remembers any from here which they found useful, please re-post them!
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £2418.57/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £173.62/£500
    • tryhard
    • By tryhard 31st Dec 15, 4:14 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    tryhard
    Thank you VfM4meplse
    Thank you so much to VfM4meplse for introducing me to this concept.
    TH
    • stardrops42
    • By stardrops42 31st Dec 15, 9:31 PM
    • 855 Posts
    • 4,759 Thanks
    stardrops42
    I Can't believe it's almost a year since I first read about the KonMarie method on here. Well I'm delighted to say that I've done the whole house and the garage over the last year! The best part is that it's stayed that way. Now that everything has a place it seems to go back there So we don't really need to tidy as everything is already in it's place. Only failure has been my grown up son's room as unless I'm in there every day to re-do clothes etc it's just a mess. So I decided to admit defeat and close the door It's true what she says in the book that you will only have to tidy once
    Feb GC £80 per week (Well I'm gunna try)
    Diet starts today(31/12/16)! Only 18lbs to lose

4/2/16 - 13lbs to lose
    11/2/16 - 12lbs to lose
    3/3/16 - 11lbs to lose
    • morocha
    • By morocha 19th Jan 16, 11:49 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 3,446 Thanks
    morocha
    This a very interesting thread and I am enjoying reading all your experiences.
    Ive started to de-clutter my house last week ( before I heard of the MK method) as my 8yo said to me if I could stop buying her clothes as she had no more space.... game on I thought.

This past week I got rid of 3 bags of clothes after sorting out my two kid's wardobes and another 2 bags full of toys ( montessori method, no need for lots of toys, just a few according to interest and age)
    Yesterday I had done my wardrobe, incredible.. another 3 bags gone but still one more to go.
    I need to read the MK book to do my toilet, living room and my kitchen.Can't wait.
    Mejor morir de pie que vivir toda una vida de rodillas.
    • Ches
    • By Ches 19th Jan 16, 7:15 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 10,371 Thanks
    Ches
    Morocha there is a new thread for 2016 so if I were you I would repost on there
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot.
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 19th Jan 16, 7:17 PM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    See what you think of this as a possible start
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69806464&posted=1#post69806464

Post 3 will be for blog links and articles mentioning MK

Post 2 for other useful links
    Post 4 for links for disposing of things
    Originally posted by greent
    This is the link to the new kondo thread please join us on there.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
    • Aaleigha
    • By Aaleigha 7th Aug 17, 8:55 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 3,698 Thanks
    Aaleigha
    I Can't believe it's almost a year since I first read about the KonMarie method on here. Well I'm delighted to say that I've done the whole house and the garage over the last year! The best part is that it's stayed that way. Now that everything has a place it seems to go back there So we don't really need to tidy as everything is already in it's place. Only failure has been my grown up son's room as unless I'm in there every day to re-do clothes etc it's just a mess. So I decided to admit defeat and close the door It's true what she says in the book that you will only have to tidy once
    Originally posted by stardrops42

this is so inspiring

well I know that one of rules is not to buy storage BUT
    at the weekend we went and bought ourselves some storage we have been saving for it for 3 months.

However buying this one far more suitable unit means we get rid of THREE other pieces of furniture - so I am happy with that.

This has made it so much easier to Konmari my things - all my shoes both winter and summer are done and have a new far more appropriate storage space, need to finish my other clothing and now I have the space to sort it.

I need to get as many NSD as possible this month so a day in tomorrow and that should I hope see the back of the clothes
    so far 1 bin bag to a friend 2 to charity shop one to clothing bank and about 10 items to be ebayed - how on earth did I manage to acquire so many items of clothing. Well I have been buying things (charity shop) or been given things due to weight loss - but kept stuff that was too big - just in case it looks good with a belt why wear a belt on a size 22/24 when I am now a size 16,

Off to do a bit more before bedtime -

hope you are all doing well.
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE # 100
    pot 1 (unknown starting amount) £18 Pot 2 £10
    total £22.50
    EMERGENCY FUND
    £40/1000 plus some in my bank £138 total 178/1000
    DECLUTTER. 183/2019
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 20th Aug 17, 2:56 PM
    • 1,486 Posts
    • 5,657 Thanks
    Fen1
    This thread is CLOSED.

Please join us on the 2017 thread.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 21st Aug 17, 5:38 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    New thread here, ill close this now to save confusion

ta Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,502Posts Today

6,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin