Electric cars

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    buglawton wrote: »
    Domestic electricity supply in the UK was in chaos until nationalisation and standardisation, as organised by the government. It's only after a century of standardisation that the current monopoly grid/private energy supplier hybrid is being tried.

I don't trust current ideology based British governments to organise infrastructure anymore.

QED.

Hiya, I don't have a clue what your point is, but just thought you might find this recent news item interesting where the REA and one DNO are looking at a change to 3phase for new builds which might be of interest regarding PV and EV's.

REA calls for three phase connections for all new homes to unlock solar deployment
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    edited 16 August 2018 at 1:43PM
    I thought this item on TEN was interesting, a very nice EV package for approx !!!8364;20k (Edit - hmm MSE doesn't like the euro symbol now!) - assuming the final car lives up to the marketing hype. Gut feeling is that it would at least make a great second car.

One silly thought is that it looks a little bit like a mini Pontiac Aztek, which 'famously' went for practicality over looks and ...... suffered for it. #Heisenberg

Though it would offer up an opportunity to sneak some more PV panels passed the wife.

Is The Sono Sion The Most Important Car You Might Not Have Heard Of?

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 August 2018 at 4:17PM
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hiya, I don't have a clue what your point is, but just thought you might find this recent news item interesting where the REA and one DNO are looking at a change to 3phase for new builds which might be of interest regarding PV and EV's.

REA calls for three phase connections for all new homes to unlock solar deployment
    In case you didn't get the point then: Recent UK governments have an abysmal record on managing infrastructure projects. Doing it by throwing bones to private interests results in a useless hodgepodge - see 'Smart Meters' and 'Fibre to the Home'. Unless that changes - radically - then the chance that practical EVs for all in the UK by 2040 (the spouted govt target for ending new IC cars) is nil.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 August 2018 at 4:34PM
    In case you didn't get the point then: Recent UK governments have an abysmal record on managing infrastructure projects. Doing it by throwing bones to private interests results in a useless hodgepodge - see 'Smart Meters' and 'Fibre to the Home'. Unless that changes - radically - then the chance that practical EVs for all in the UK by 2020 (the spouted govt target for ending new IC cars) is nil.
    Hi

If the target was 2020 I'd agree that there'd be little chance of success ... however, the actual target date is considerably later ....

Anyway, regarding infrastructure ... have you considered that there are now well under 9000 petrol stations in the UK, that's a reduction of >75% in the past 50 years ... some of this will be due to the remaining sites being generally larger, some resulting from better fuel economy. Compared to that there are already well over 3000x more potential EV charging sites if you simply count households ... beyond that there are the public charging points which are predicted to outnumber petrol stations by 2020 ...

Some of the large fuel retailers are already reconfiguring some of their forecourts to include EV rapid charge points as well as the ability to provide hydrogen & biofuel alternatives ... okay, it's early stages at the moment, but the retailers are aware of what is happening and are already planning changes to their business models to ensure continued existence ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    edited 16 August 2018 at 5:37PM
    In case you didn't get the point then: Recent UK governments have an abysmal record on managing infrastructure projects. Doing it by throwing bones to private interests results in a useless hodgepodge - see 'Smart Meters' and 'Fibre to the Home'. Unless that changes - radically - then the chance that practical EVs for all in the UK by 2040 (the spouted govt target for ending new IC cars) is nil.

OK, let me have another go.

The only way to fix the problem (not sure what the problem is, but let's just run with it for now), would be to nationalise the HV and LV grids .......... but

that also wouldn't solve the problem (not sure what the problem is, but let's just run with it for now), because the current government is useless.

Is that right?

BTW, how do you feel about all the changes taking place in the UK at the moment regarding fast charging, slow charging, domestic charging, work place charging, street charging, car(p) park charging etc?

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    ...carp park charging ...
    Hi

Charging Carp to park ??? ... sounds a little fishy to me! ... :D

Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

Charging Carp to park ??? ... sounds a little fishy to me! ... :D

Z

Yeah, where you park your car/van to go fishing, of course.

(Not sure I can style that one out, but I'm giving it a go - perhaps best to edit given the other mistakes too. M. :D)

• Martyn1981
    Some news on VW's penance in the US and the work being done by Electrify America.

The penalties on VW are enormous but having watched the dieselgate episode of Dirty Money (the series is on Netflix), I think they got of lightly.

Electrify America Ad Campaign Begins With Chevy Bolt As The Star

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 August 2018 at 11:06PM
    OK, let me have another go.

The only way to fix the problem (not sure what the problem is, but let's just run with it for now), would be to nationalise the HV and LV grids .......... but

that also wouldn't solve the problem (not sure what the problem is, but let's just run with it for now), because the current government is useless.

Is that right?

BTW, how do you feel about all the changes taking place in the UK at the moment regarding fast charging, slow charging, domestic charging, work place charging, street charging, car(p) park charging etc?
    When a govt has to organise a seismic infrastructure change, I don't say that automatically means nationalise. Rather, it means providing the right regulatory leadership. Exactly what that last string of British administrations have proven themselves failures at.

As for your list of changes seen so far: They are the hodgepodge and half will be obsolete technology.
  • Martyn1981
    As for your list of changes seen so far: They are the hodgepodge and half will be obsolete technology.

The roll out of charging solutions is a hodgepodge, and the technology will become obsolete. Well I think both claims are a 'cheat', since the rollout of charging will of course appear a bit of a hodgepodge until such time as we know exactly what we want and how to do it. So hodgepodge is a bit naughty - perhaps a better term is learning on the job prior to a natural shift to the best outcome as and when it becomes obvious.

The second part is also a 'cheat' since all tech becomes obsolete over time, the rollout so far reflects ideas, assumptions and in many cases a dipping of the toe in the water.

I think you are looking for negatives as that's easier than looking for solutions.

I see the rollout of EV's and charging as a learning exercise currently, which will of course lead to many mistakes, but I don't see the need to judge yet as we don't really know what will (or should) evolve.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback