Private Parking Industry Hits back blog discussion

Options

Comments

• paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    counted wrote: »
    i jointly own an access driveway with equal use. the others have now decided it is to be used solely for their own use and issue me with parking tickets which I ignore - but leaving my car their to unload (as my lease allows) still invites all kinds of abuse to me and workmen. Other than tanking them to Court and solicitors letters which they've chosen to ignore. anyone else had same problem?

Ooh. Shared driveways. tell me about it !!!
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • juliescot
    juliescot Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    I was interested the initial letter from the trade body - the BPA.

I will also be interested to see if they decide to renew their code of practice.
    To assist can I suggest that they remove the wording "Undertaking their activities honestly and with integrity and not knowingly misrepresenting themselves or misleading others."?
    I have experience of receiving documents from a BPA member company which contained statements that were misleading and others which were downright lies.
    If the above wording was removed it would then mean that members wouldn't be breaking their own code and could carry on lying to people quite happily. I am sure it troubles their collective consciences greatly to know that currently they are breaking their own code.
    What punishment do the BPA hand out to companies that flout the code I wonder?
  • Hels28
    Hels28 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    We live in private flats with a private car park and people park their cars to just "pop" to the bank or eat their dinner (MacDonalds) in their car and then litter our driveway with the rubbish. We have tried many things like putting up dummy CCTV cameras and signs to say that wheel clamping was in operation when it was not. Eventually we had to get a private company in and we have to pay for this privilege and it is still not 100% effective. We even had one lady break down in tears and call the police so the clamper was forced to remove the clamp and she got away without paying. We want this deterrent because we don't want people parking in our drive. Not only do they park in our spaces but they block the drive preventing an ambulance or fire engine from entering the property. It is irrepsonsible behaviour. Fines must be paid because these selfish people must be stopped.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You said you had to pay for the private company. I thought they worked on the basis that they make their money from the fines they impose, and therefore didn't charge the 'hirer' ?
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hels28 wrote: »
    Not only do they park in our spaces but they block the drive preventing an ambulance or fire engine from entering the property.

<OT>Just how long *is* your driveway?</OT>
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Alx*27
    Alx*27 Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    If clamping doesn't work as a deterrent, why will a bunch of threatening letters that can be safely ignored be any different?

Private parking companies don't solve parking problems, otherwise they would be cutting off their own revenue scheme.

I don't know why idiots abuse private land in your instance, but if it really is that bad, I'd look at a key operated bollard or gate.
  • Hels28
    Hels28 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    <OT>Just how long *is* your driveway?</OT>
    About 50 metres - this driveway area does not have parking spaces.
  • Grizzlyadams
    Options
    I would like to know of all the many thousands, if not tens of thousands of unfair charge complaints, what action has been taken by the BPA against the rogue issuers? Slap on the wrist and don't do it again? We have seen in the financial sector and police issues over and over again that self regulation does not work. When Trading Standards or some effective body brings criminal charges, say for extortion, against the rogue clampers , THEN we will get some progress.
  • Fais
    Fais Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    fully agree with your excellent response Martin.
  • Philycheesesteak
    Options
    Great reply Martin!!

I think we should take the Scottish stance and ban wheel clampers they're a cowboy outfit with a sheriff with no power to do anything. They may have their best practice guide but it's not legally enforcable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure