An MP wants to know your experiences of Pension Credit

Options
UKParliament
UKParliament Posts: 749 Organisation Representative
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
Did you know that those over 75 claiming pension credit will be exempt from the TV licence fee?

Labour MP Chris Elmore argues that “pensioner poverty and loneliness among older people are soaring across the UK, and the changes to TV licence fee entitlement mean this situation could worsen. 1.3 million people currently don’t claim the pension credit they may be entitled to.”

-Have you heard of pension credit?
-Do you know anyone not currently claiming the pension credit they may be entitled to?

On Wednesday 24 July, he will lead a Westminster Hall debate on Pension Credit. He wants to hear about your experiences to help inform his debate. Comment on this thread or on our Facebook post.

He wants the government to “radically overhaul the way they promote pension credit to ensure nobody else risks being pushed into poverty.”

We’ll pass your comments on to him and he may use your examples during his debate. We’ll post links to watch the debate and read the transcript when they become available on Wednesday 24 July.

Please submit your comments before midday on Tuesday 23 July.
---
Your name, and any information or opinions you provide, may be shared with Chris Elmore MP and used in a parliamentary debate which will be on the record and available on Parliament TV and Hansard. Please ensure that you are happy with your comment before sharing.
Official Organisation Representative
I’m the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Did you know that those over 75 claiming pension credit will be exempt from the TV licence fee?
    Yes
    Labour MP Chris Elmore argues that “pensioner poverty and loneliness among older people are soaring across the UK,
    He seems to have a strange definition of "soaring", according to well respected poverty charity the JRF, https://www.jrf.org.uk/data/pensioner-poverty

pensioner poverty has been fairly flat since around 2006. Small differences with different groups, but overall fairly flat over the last 13 years or so. But I guess he's a politican and they like to use hyperbole with their political footballs...
    and the changes to TV licence fee entitlement mean this situation could worsen. 1.3 million people currently don’t claim the pension credit they may be entitled to.”

Yes
    -Do you know anyone not currently claiming the pension credit they may be entitled to?
    Possibly. I'm always nagging my Mum to check. I think the main thing people don't realise is that although it's means tested on capital as well as income, you can have quite large amounts in savings and still be entitled. It doesn't have the usual £16k cut off for means tested benefits and the tariff income for capital is lower.
    On Wednesday 24 July, he will lead a Westminster Hall debate on Pension Credit. He wants to hear about your experiences to help inform his debate. Comment on this thread or on our Facebook post.

He wants the government to “radically overhaul the way they promote pension credit to ensure nobody else risks being pushed into poverty.”
    Some examples of people with eg £30k in savings and still entitled may be useful.
  • ex-pat_scot
    ex-pat_scot Posts: 693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes I am aware of pension credit and TV licence.

However i am not aware of "pensioner poverty and loneliness among older people are soaring across the UK". A quick fact check rather suggests this is not the case.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/work-pay-and-benefits
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What about the antisemitism in his own party?
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

Yes.

-Yes.

-No one I know well enough to ask such questions. The pensioner I know best is too wealthy to qualify. There are benefits he could probably claim and isn't, but he isn't short of money. He is over 90, has diabetes and his sight is poor. . He could do with more assistance but is too proud to ask for it. So his neighbours and my sister have to help out.
  • Turpinr
    Turpinr Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What about anti-working class, anti poor, anti disabled and anti animal in the Tory party?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Yes, I did.

Obviously I've heard of pension credit.
    Does the free licence apply only to people receiving Guarantee Pension Credit or Savings Pension Credit too?
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Labour MP Chris Elmore argues that “pensioner poverty and loneliness among older people are soaring across the UK,"

Would our Chris be looking for a bandwagon to jump upon, even though it doesn't actually exist?

Sad thing is, most will actually believe this is true - which as shown above, demonstrably isn't.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Terron wrote: »
    The pensioner I know best is too wealthy to qualify. There are benefits he could probably claim and isn't, but he isn't short of money. He is over 90, has diabetes and his sight is poor. He could do with more assistance but is too proud to ask for it. So his neighbours and my sister have to help out.

The benefit he is likely to be eligible for is Attendance Allowance:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/attendance-allowance/
    Which is not means tested.

Sadly, AA is probably an even more under-claimed benefit than PC.
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/sep/30/attendance-allowance-elderly-miss-out
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    The benefit he is likely to be eligible for is Attendance Allowance:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/attendance-allowance/
    Which is not means tested.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/sep/30/attendance-allowance-elderly-miss-out

That is the one I was thinking of.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not surprising really, as the forms are fairly long-winded, and even if the claim is accepted (if you are elderly you would definately need help getting it all filled in properly) there is then a gap. Although the payments can be "backdated" to the date of application, the condition has to have existed for 6 months before any payment is made (unless terminal). So someone who eg has a fall, and comes out of hospital with needs that they didn't have before won't get any support unless they can afford to pay for it themselves in the interim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure