TicketySplit feedback - official discussion

Comments

• eshroom wrote: »

The routes were:

London - Macclesfield - 13:00 on Sat 15th
    London - Warrington - 12:20 on Sat 15th
    London - Manchester - 12:40 on Sat 15th

London to Macclesfield single (splitting at Stoke) £37.60 departing on Sat 26th April at 13:00 at splitticketing.com
  • pablakeman
    pablakeman Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Tool seems great! I understand why features like this aren't available yet but being able to search a day, rather than splitting each ticket individually.

Also on iPad when clicking to try out other times, it just takes you back to homepage so have to re-enter all info etc...
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • pablakeman
    pablakeman Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I understand the trade off between time and money and time is an important factor for me.

If it only does walk on fares then its a pretty poorly designed app as walk on fares are the highest arent they?

Really shouldnt release something like this until it gets you the best price for all ticket combinations.

Then again I did notice that it then tells you to buy it trhough the trainline who charge you fees so Im guessing the money they will make from the comission on said click through makes that alright then.

Not very money saving is it?

So you are saying that they shouldn't release it until all people can benefit, rather than some? How about instead they don't release anything, and you can keep spending extra money? This is a free service!!

Also if you use your head - walk-on services are more expensive, so before this new one became available I used to search my journey next-day walk-on, and then try this same combination to look for advance fares on the date I wanted. Unsurprisingly, this saved me a lot of money!!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Whilst it lets you choose this option for tickets nowhere can you add more travelers - which is odd as this railcard will only let 2 travel!

It was cheaper to work out the tickets for myself than via this single only option for one person!
  • I've booked a day return journey in August (Shrewsbury to Oxford).
    I used the old ticketysplit's guidance to buy a Shrewsbury-Leamington Spa cheap day return, plus singles Leamington-Oxford.
    That option doesn't seem to appear on the new web tool.
  • Selbyjay
    Selbyjay Posts: 18 Forumite
    Firstly, i want to say that i love MSE. The advise has been invaluable over the years and receiving the weekly newsletters keeps me focused on being cost efficient.

However...whilst i like the principal of this tool, it's really not good enough to be able to return the best option for the journey requested. Being a rail travel agent, i get asked about split tickets by my clients all the time and they are a great way to save money, but you really need to know what you're doing when booking and travelling with split tickets. It's not easy.

I just had a play about with the tool to quote a journey from Ebbsfleet International to Warrington Bank Quay. It split at the right point (London) but the suggested times allowed just 1 minute to get from St Pancras to Euston. Someone with less knowledge would try the connections suggested by the tool and would definitely miss their (fixed, non-refundable) connection to Warrington. << insert strongly worded complaint letter to MSE >>. The tool also didnt include the tube pass to get from St Pancras to Euston, which would be at an additional cost.

Equally, on Virgin Trains (most London routes, not all), if you buy 2 singles on the same transaction, you get the return single with a 50% discount. This was completely missed by the tool as you can only search in single trips.

At best, this tool saved about £7 (after factoring the cost of having to buy the extra tube ticket) and i would have had a fixed time return, rather than the flexibility of the off-peak return.

On the whole, i like the idea and i'll certainly use it to test my own knowledge, but you've still got some way to go to cover all of the connotations available.
  • Just worked on Scarborough to Sheffield...Originally £40 - split to £33.60 by splitting at Malton.
    However by manually splitting at York - I got a £17.30 quote! A big difference - HUGE!!
  • daviduk1976
    daviduk1976 Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just to throw this is in....I work for the railways and we can have a discount on the full open ticket cost.....even I split tickets too! I save upto £20 on a London - Manchester journey...pure madness! (I always book in advance though still cheaper than my so called discount!
    TOTAL 2013 £3100 :eek:
    TOTAL 2014 £1250

TOTAL 2015: £500 winning:2 tkts to theatre, Cap1 Footie, weeks holiday in lakes.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just to throw this is in....I work for the railways and we can have a discount on the full open ticket cost.....even I split tickets too! I save upto £20 on a London - Manchester journey...pure madness! (I always book in advance though still cheaper than my so called discount!
    You should be able to get discounted Off Peak fares from September.

As for London-Manchester, you can save even more at peak times by purchasing a Stockport-Manchester Season (for you that'd have to be at the public rate) and a string of Anytime Day Returns, "splitting" at stations where the Virgin Trains service does not call. Providing you have one season and the others are non seasons, it's legit.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    addie1uk wrote: »
    Just worked on Scarborough to Sheffield...Originally £40 - split to £33.60 by splitting at Malton.
    However by manually splitting at York - I got a £17.30 quote! A big difference - HUGE!!
    There is a booking site that works out the best split, it's a lot better than the MSE app, but I'm not allowed to provide a link to it on the forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure