Charged More Than Agreed?

Can anyone give advice on this problem please?

2 month ago I went to a local funeral directors office to arrange to have an inscription added to a headstone. We agreed a price of £200.66, I paid a £50 deposit. Now I have received a bill for £467.96 less £50 deposit so I owe £417.96 according to them. I have my copy of the Order which clearly states £200.66.

Now this extra charge is for "removal & refix" of a headstone, I was not told about this charge, so I have not agreed to it. As far as I am concerned I owe £200.66 less £50 deposit so I owe £150.66.

Will I be in the right to refuse to pay the extra there claim I owe, and so just send them a cheque for £150.66 which I agreed and signed for? Can anyone give advice on whether I legally owe this extra amount?

Comments

• Unless there is anything on the order stating it will be subject to other charges then I don't think they have a leg to stand on.

It'll be up to them to prove you owe the money and since you have a signed order without this cost on I don't think they stand any chance of getting it from you.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Geebs
    Geebs Posts: 36 Forumite
    Could they not class it as a debt if I dont pay it, and so send debt collectors to my house?
  • No, civil dispute so they would need to go to small claims court if they want to enforce it.

Your signed order for £200 would mean they have no chance of winning. Even if they do win then you have a number of weeks to pay before it has any negative consequences.

They could sell the debt on but these have no more rights to take stuff from your house than the postie. They need court appointed bailiffs to enter your house and this only happens if they go to court.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Geebs
    Geebs Posts: 36 Forumite
    ok thanks for clearing that up. I'm thinking just send them a cheque for £150.66, and a letter stating that I do not accept that I owe any extra as they did not inform me about it. Had they informed me, I would of cancelled the Order.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    They may hound you to the grave....
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Geebs wrote: »
    Can anyone give advice on this problem please?

2 month ago I went to a local funeral directors office to arrange to have an inscription added to a headstone. We agreed a price of £200.66, I paid a £50 deposit. Now I have received a bill for £467.96 less £50 deposit so I owe £417.96 according to them. I have my copy of the Order which clearly states £200.66.

Now this extra charge is for "removal & refix" of a headstone, I was not told about this charge, so I have not agreed to it. As far as I am concerned I owe £200.66 less £50 deposit so I owe £150.66.

Will I be in the right to refuse to pay the extra there claim I owe, and so just send them a cheque for £150.66 which I agreed and signed for? Can anyone give advice on whether I legally owe this extra amount?

Hi Geebs - we're sorry to hear about your problem, especially given the circumstances. As this is a consumer issue to do with services & costs (which we're not covering on the board at the moment), we'd recommend that your contact either our Consumer Helpline (08454 04 05 06, 9a, to 5pm, Mondays to Fridays) or your local bureau - for advice and support on this.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure