Claim Company Fees from Ex-Wife

Hi all,

I've successfully claimed significant sums of money in PPI refunds, 50% of which quite rightly went to my ex-wife. She had no knowledge of my making the claims (via Consumer Refund Service) and has just been pocketing the money.

My question is, can I legally pursue her for 50% of the commission charged by the company that did all of the work?

Thanks.

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 30 August 2019 at 4:08PM
    Hi all,

I've successfully claimed significant sums of money in PPI refunds, 50% of which quite rightly went to my ex-wife. She had no knowledge of my making the claims (via Consumer Refund Service) and has just been pocketing the money.

My question is, can I legally pursue her for 50% of the commission charged by the company that did all of the work?

Thanks.

No, there was no real reason you needed to use a CMC (there is very little work involved apart from persuading you to sign up) and as you were the one who signed the contract the cost is 100% yours.

On the other hand you might be able to argue with the CMC that there should be no commission for you to pay for the pay out to your ex as they had no contract with her.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Id say its too late now, you should have been preemptive and sent her half the money minus half the commission. Or are you saying that the refund went to the two of you 50/50?
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

No. You employed a third party to use the free-of-charge complaint process. Your ex wife did not.

And when you say "all the work", that did make me chuckle. You would be sick if you found out just how little they do and kick yourself for not doing it yourself.
  • SonOf wrote: »
    You would be sick if you found out just how little they do and kick yourself for not doing it yourself.

Thanks for all the responses. For the record, I'm not sick, just extremely lazy :D
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for all the responses. For the record, I'm not sick, just extremely lazy :D
    And yet you’ll have done more by instructing a CMC than if you’d have done it yourself.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure