Heron Foods/Farmfoods Freezer Shops -spot any good buys?

Options

Comments

• mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Popped into my Heron today and the bacon has been repackaged - now 900 g of bacon for £1.90 or a kilo of gammon offcuts (steak mis-shapes, etc) for £2.
    Got the gammon, this can be very salty but I use it in lots of different recipes.

I always keep an eye out for the white fish in tempura batter, 500g for £1.50. Just had this for tea, makes a really nice quick and easy meal.

Muller Rice ('Rice, Rice Baby'), plain, 4 for 75p.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I shop at Farmfoods regularly for stocking up on basics, Today I picked up 7.5k potatoes (Estima variety) £2 - seem to be this variety mostly. PG tips are on Bogof £3.95 ish 2 x 4pints milk £1.60. Jelly pots 4 for a pound. Nicki toilet roll£3.95 for 18 i think. frozen veg is good at 3 for £2. although the sizing of the bags on some of them have got smaller

I started to have fliers through the door advertising Farmfoods 3 months ago and they always have money off vouchers attached £2.50 off £25 spend.

The chicago town 2 mini pizzas are a pound also.

BB

I buy much the same things as you in Farmfoods and we've started getting regular flyers too but I rarely spend £25 there to use a coupon. They have had Maris Piper potatoes which I preferred but Estima are fine.

My shop has increased its fresh fruit and veg quite a bit lately at good prices and good quality mainly.

Agree about the smaller bags, definitely true of fish. The frozen smoked haddock is good. Pieces are a bit small but perfect for a fish pie.

Branston beans are a regular 3 for £1 which is a good price unless on offer somewhere else.

My absolute favourite is frozen leeks (usually 3 for £2 on I think kg bags) so easy to use, no prepping and no waste.

No Heron here. :(
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Hereon is great for the mis shape stuff, the chicken nuggets are £1 for a tray full and taste the same as McDonald's and the ingredients are the same, the steak bakes are great too, the brand is Xsell there is usually a cabinet full of various items, fish, fish fingers, fishcakes,sausage rolls etc

just check the date's on the fresh stuff as its often short dated hence why its cheap
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I agree about all the Heron Xsell items - the fish in tempura batter and cod / haddock fillets are just incredible value.
    The steak bakes have always looked tempting, good to know they taste as good as they look.
    I like the minimal packaging too, helps you to see exactly what you are buying.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • EycplUK
    EycplUK Posts: 777 Forumite
    Options
    Bought some of the Battered Haddock ( excel) ? had it for lunch today and it was excellent ! :) nice white flakes of fish unlike some where it is like mushed up fish pieces , Yuk ):
    Taste was V Good and no noticeable shrinkage after cooking !
    Will be having this again !!
    Regards
    A Bast**d I May Be ! I Was Born One !
    Whats Your Excuse ?
  • PinkTiger
    PinkTiger Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always look in the Xsell freezers at Herons, like mcculloch29 says the minimal packaging means you can see what your buying.

I can recommend the pizzas, the price seems to change but today it was 2 fror £1, sometimes they are abit miss-shaped or abit more topping on one side than the other, don't know what brand they are supposed to be but they are very nice.

I found something new today, or maybe i've not noticed before- 400g bag of Oreo small crushed cookie pieces for 75p, bb date may 2014 but they won't make it to next week never mind next month!
    oreocrushedpieces_500.jpg

I had a quick Google & they are for sale for £2.99 & delivery on one website. I also found a recipe site with some ideas on how to use them -

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,crushed_oreos_cookies,FF.html

- the site is American so you might have to convert the amounts as they use 'cups'. I LOVE Oreos, but everyone i know hates them!
    'there goes an old transexual, last seen heading south,
    her friends call her Bernie but her real name is Ralph'
    Felicia, Priscilla Queen of the Desert
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We got some Farmfoods breakfast sausage patties - thinnish square things, taste the same as sausages and grill from frozen. 16 slices for £1 - we rather liked them.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • sillyme673
    sillyme673 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Herons have fairy 630ml in pomegranate& honeysuckle for £1.
    Death comes to us all.When he came to Mort, he offered him a job. MORT by Terry Pratchett.
  • zaxdog
    zaxdog Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tiglath wrote: »
    We got some Farmfoods breakfast sausage patties - thinnish square things, taste the same as sausages and grill from frozen. 16 slices for £1 - we rather liked them.

Were they Lorne sausages by any chance?
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do not buy the 1.5kg bags of frozen chicken thighs at Farmfoods !

They are not thighs but the rear quarters of the carcase with the thighs removed. I am mindfull to make a formal complaint to local trading standards as they are nearly all bone with only a little amount of hard to remove meat !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure