Second Purse Challenge Thread #2

Comments

• Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Few items brought from stock this week but no offers brought. Just haven't seen any for a while on the items that would benefit us. I am on the look out though all the time and am sure something will turn up before to long.

2ND PURSE £50/£50
    3RD PURSE £7.10/£50
    BANKED SO FAR £150

Brilliant saving Mothership - 30 sheets to iron _pale_ I would pass out at the thought. Take it you have a guest house or similar ?
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • lottie3000
    lottie3000 Posts: 449 Forumite
    edited 11 June 2013 at 3:07PM
    Well this seems to be working pretty well for me. Now have £38.00 in my second purse and stock at £205.15, not been on the hunt for the bargains for a week or so as my stock pile was relatively TOO large for me but now it's starting to come down and my 2nd purse balance going up I will be on the hunt. I don't think it will take me all that long to get some pennies on my third purse which can go on a months groceries and a take away treat. Or I might do what motherships post has led me to consider and save pennies for our next holiday. My OH will be well pleased with my secret stash of cash :)

As for farmfoods recommendations - If you like stodgy garlic bread try that, my OH prefers it to all others, their chicken breast to cook from frozen are suprisingly good and cook up lovely and juicy, their cris cross chips thingy's are lovely and they're bacon although thin, crisps up lovely under the grill for a BLT.
  • EstherH
    EstherH Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    I have just bought eight cans of lynx bodyspray at Mr T's on the buy two get two free offer. I think I will buy them back at £2.50 a can. That means that they are worth £20 against the £11.56 they cost me. I have been adding to my second purse by buying from my stock but not in a proper organised way. I really don't know how much it is now worth as I have things that haven't been bought on offer but just extras bought as I have had a few vouchers at Mr T's and A's for £s off when £40 spent. I need to find some time to redo my stock list. I have (I think) £48 in my second purse so doing well even though I'm not strictly following the rules.
    God bless. Esther x
    Second purse £101/100
    Third purse. £500 Saving for Christmas 2014
    ALREADY BANKED:
    £237 Christmas Savings 2013
    Stock Still not done a stock check.
    Started 9/5/2013.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Can I join you :)

I was a real stock cupboard keeper but since moved to a very small house and had to whittle it right down. I have cleared out the cupboard (shoes can go under beds ;) ) and ready to start my stores again as I feel so much more comfy in the winter months having the store there.

I haven''t totally got my head round the process yet but going to work literally in cash and 2 purses.

I will take my shopping list and see what I can find.

So my store is The Cupboard Store and I'm saving for a bed £170.

I hope it's ok to ask questions as it takes a bit for this mind of thing to sink in?
  • alibo100
    alibo100 Posts: 98 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Well I am still really enjoying the challenge but I think I am losing control a little bit :o

Have not been keeping up on my stocklist so don't know how much its worth. Also keep spending most of my second purse as I can't stop hunting and buying yellow sticker items so I have not yet managed to get anything into my 3rd purse.

So I think I need to start thinking of saving a little bit and stop buying yellow sticker perishables, need to be a bit more like the well practised mothership!
    Second Purse Challenge
    1st purse £70 per week, 2nd purse £0/£50, 3rd Purse £177/100 banked £37 (14) £206('13)
    :eek:Debt Total[STRIKE]£11779[/STRIKE] £3000 :o Plus [STRIKE]£3200[/STRIKE] £2400 to family
    :TGoal 2 years to pay off - June [STRIKE]2015[/STRIKE] 2016 :T
    Paid off so far - Sept 13 £1131 Nov 14 £2423 Sept15 paid myCC's!!
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,869 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi everyone,

Weekly update from me. £38.90 going into the 2nd purse for items used this week. I also bought some more stock:
    4 x carex, 4 x deodorant, 2 x wash n go.

Still on the lookout for some kenco rich refill packs. Don't like to pay more than £3/pack, down to our last one!!!

Totals are now:
    2nd purse: £25.99/£50 (was in deficit earlier in the week!)
    3rd purse: £45.93
    Stock total: £169.50

Still waiting for 3 packs of Iams from Amazon. Paid for it two weeks ago but still waiting.... also DR order coming today.

Mothership - excellent news about the other freezer.

fuddle - welcome - I will add you to the list :D

Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • EstherH
    EstherH Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    I bought four packs of Nicky loo roll in Mr M's today.
    £0.65 for a pack of four. It's 17.3p per roll if I remember rightly. I had my calculator out to make sure it was cheaper than the two for £4 packs of nine each that I bought in farmfoods recently.

So at a buy back rate of £1 for a four pack that's another £1.40 profit.
    Does £1 to buy it back sound about right or should I go higher?

God bless, Esther x
    Second purse £101/100
    Third purse. £500 Saving for Christmas 2014
    ALREADY BANKED:
    £237 Christmas Savings 2013
    Stock Still not done a stock check.
    Started 9/5/2013.
  • fuddle
    thank you coxy :)

How do you work out the buy back rate?

I paid £12.25 for £24.50 worth of stock. My total stock is worth £42.05 as had some items already in overspill.

Can you help me work out what I put in the second purse or is it a case of having to wait until I take something out of stock?
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,869 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I generally set a price that I'm happy to pay eg. loo rolls are 50p each in our house but we buy quilted velvet in bulk from Costco.

If I buy an item on bogof I tend to set the price somewhere between the two prices ie. £2 for two bottles of shampoo so I charge myself £1.50 per bottle as I use it iyswim??

One of the many advantages of having the stock is being able to pay at the end of the week/month etc. to suit you - or not at all if things are a little tight ;)

Good luck
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • fuddle
    Brilliant, makes sense thank you. I'll be obsessing on two fronts then - bargains and wishing I need to take an item out of stock so I can pay myself!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure