Unsafe self-catering accomodation - what are my rights?

Hi all,
Any advice gratefully recieved.
I booked a self catering apartment for one night with Booking.com
When my family and I arrived at the appartment we uncovered more and more issues in our short stay - fundamental issues of safety, repair and hygiene.
I've raised these all with Booking.com who state the accomodation are unwilling to provide any refund, and seem to be taking the line that it is not their responsibility. They are only willing to provide a 25EUR goodwill gesture, less than 20% of the cost of overnight stay.

Issues as follows:
• Dirty floor - blobs of brown gunk
• Dirty wardrobes (hairs and dust – see photo below – not nice!)
• Hairs and dirt in double bed, sheet was creased and had yellow stain (sheets not changed?)
• Towel ripped
• Kitchen worktop cracked and swollen next to sink
• Kitchen bin dirty, with no liner
• Brown gunk smeared on doors and skirting boards
• No fire extinguisher
• No fire blanket in kitchen
• No fire evacuation poster
• No fire escape signage (this is a 3rd floor property)
• Smoke alarm not working
• Hot water not working in taps (shower did work)
• Bathroom sink plug didn’t work
• Curtain rails broken in at least two rooms
• Dirty curtain in main bedroom
• Towels thrown in corner of bathroom (not changed?)
• Dirty walls
• Dirt behind doors
• Front door not shutting without key (meant that key had to stay in door)
• Front door security chain broken
• Electrical switch cracked in kitchen
• Black mould in shower tray sealant.
• General smell of damp.

Do I have any recourse here?

In spite of raising the fire concerns, booking.com are refusing to take that side of it seroiusly - I advised that they should stop advertising the property until the fire stuff was fixed - they seem unwilling to do this, I'm properly concerned that if there ever was a fire there someone could be badly hurt.

Advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Did you stay? Yes, then you are stuck with the 25 euro good will gesture.

In order to have any real refund rights you need to first ask to be moved and if that fails then find somewhere else at the same, or as near the same rate as possible. Doing this gives legal rights if the courts find in your favour.

By staying you are accepting the accommodation.
  • Hi, yes we stayed - we progressively discovered the issues over the course of the evening (kids in bed), and the worst of it (the fire safety stuff) was only in the morning. I did have contact with the vendor, but didn't ask to be moved (pretty sure this is the only flat that they have up for rent in the area).
    So if I understand you correctly, in the eyes of the law, by staying there, I've accepted it?
  • The fact that the suggested refund was in euros suggests this property was not in the UK. Do you know what the legal requirements are for fire safety in rented properties are in the relevant country? If you’re really concerned about the safety of future tenants perhaps you could report it to the appropriate local regulatory body? The local tourist office might be able to help you track this down.
  • Thanks YM, the apartment was in Glasgow - not sure why the refund is EUR - might be due to booking.com being based in Netherlands?
  • Does Booking.com have the facility to leave a review? A brutally honest review might be effective at getting their attention. Or if not at least warn future renters of the issues.
  • Aye, done that - if you google "Stunning 2 bed Apartment in Merchant City" see if you can guess which review is mine.. (not allowed to post links as newbie on forum)
    Pictures have been submitted, but not yet uploaded by booking.com
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Aye, done that - if you google "Stunning 2 bed Apartment in Merchant City" see if you can guess which review is mine.. (not allowed to post links as newbie on forum)
    Pictures have been submitted, but not yet uploaded by booking.com

Your experience was very different to everyone else who left a review.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    As you stayed then you have no rights to anything else.

I've stayed in many places, and it's normal to have a good nose around when you arrive. If you find things amiss, investigate more! That way you can complain straight away if anything is it right.

Was this the first time you have stayed somewhere?

Your review will hopefully cost them bookings or at least make them clean it up!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Mojisola wrote: »
    Your experience was very different to everyone else who left a review.

Indeed, and that was the reason that we booked it.
    The difference in experiences now leads me to believe that some of those reviews may not be genuine.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How much did you pay?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business